Is it possible to buy a cotton, nice fitting, plain t shirt?

(25 Posts)
WileyRoadRunner Mon 29-Apr-13 12:25:26

Seems to be so hard to find.

I am a size 8/10, 5'2" pear shaped with c section overhang. I have a couple of Boden's stripy Bretons - long sleeved and short sleeved - which I like the feel, fit and neckline of.

I would like for summer plain t-shirts that don't make me sweat, cling to lumps but also aren't baggy. Like a decent length to do the tuck thing. Don't like a low v neck line but equally don't want a really high neck line as want them to be suitable for summery weather.

Is it possible to find something like this on the high street? Or am I just too fussy?

EarlyInTheMorning Mon 29-Apr-13 12:31:23

I can offer no advice but may I join you in this quest? I would even like it to have a very high neck line (slash or boat neck) as I burn very easily.

WileyRoadRunner Mon 29-Apr-13 12:35:04

Yes Early I like a boat/slash neck too just not a super high crew neck.

Who would have thought finding plain cotton tees is so difficult!

DewDr0p Mon 29-Apr-13 12:45:33

Not usually a huge fan of Next but are these what you are looking for? Perhaps too plain? I got a few (mainly to layer/wear for pilates) and they are wearing and washing well.

EarlyInTheMorning Mon 29-Apr-13 12:48:45

Hi Drew. The sleeve of those t-shirts would not work for me because of where they cut the arm. I'd rather go for a longer short sleeve or 3/4. Sorry Wiley I've hijacked your thread blush.

MrsRogerSterling Mon 29-Apr-13 12:51:22

These Boden ones are lovely, lightweight, come in crew or round neck and wash well. Quite fine material, lovely for summer.

MrsRogerSterling Mon 29-Apr-13 12:52:38

Early the ones I have just linked to above also come in a boatneck with 3/4 length sleeves.

MrsRogerSterling Mon 29-Apr-13 12:53:59
Parisisalwaysagoodidea Mon 29-Apr-13 12:55:37

H&M do cotton t shirts in a variety of styles and colours. They wash well too.

QueenCadbury Mon 29-Apr-13 13:24:49
QueenCadbury Mon 29-Apr-13 13:25:32
QueenCadbury Mon 29-Apr-13 13:27:54
WileyRoadRunner Mon 29-Apr-13 13:45:38

Excellent thank you all.

i always find Next ones quite "sweaty" but at least I can order and try on.

Have seen some Mango ones on asos - do you know what the sizing is like Queen?

WileyRoadRunner Mon 29-Apr-13 13:46:19

Am thinking I may end up sticking to Boden though <sigh>

oxcat1 Mon 29-Apr-13 13:49:29

I find H&M lighter colours too see-through and the white, in particular, look very work after just a few washes.

WileyRoadRunner Mon 29-Apr-13 13:49:33

Oh no, no size 8's in that style sad

Mintyy Mon 29-Apr-13 13:50:50

Petit Bateau for all t-shirts. Honestly. Little bit pricey but really worth it.

QueenCadbury Mon 29-Apr-13 13:51:49

I'm an 8/10 32e and tend to wear xs or small in mango and a size 10 in DP.

EarlyInTheMorning Mon 29-Apr-13 14:18:57

I have just ordered the Boden t-shirt in the second link from MrsRoger, thank you for that. I had seen them in the past but honestly, for that price I would have liked to be able to buy 2!! There's a 3 week wait too but I tend to find that it's never that long. So that's me done for now, hopefully.

PretAPorter Mon 29-Apr-13 14:25:50

I quite like the Matalan ones, they have plain and stripey. Can size down for a clingier look.

Plain

Stripey

FrugalFashionista Mon 29-Apr-13 14:30:24

I bought a bunch of tees from H&M last summer and they were thin and flimsy to start with and really nasty after a few washes. Has the quality improved?

WileyRoadRunner Mon 29-Apr-13 14:42:40

Frugal I keep looking at the H&M ones but have had a similar experience to you in the past. I often wonder if it's a false economy and should just stick with the more costly options but in a lesser quantity.

Parisisalwaysagoodidea Mon 29-Apr-13 14:44:47

The ones I bought this year are better. The material is thicker and the seams haven't twisted, unlike ones I bought from Zara.

However, some of the colours are viscose whilst others are cotton.

Jellybellyrbest Tue 30-Apr-13 20:17:09

Mintyy, how much are the Petit Bateau ones you like? I like a heavy cotton myself...not sure if the cheaper ones are a decent weight & the ones at around £30 are pricey (when I think of the little messy hands and noses which will inevitably be rubbing against the fabric....)

bulletproofgerbil Tue 30-Apr-13 20:23:21

The Boden boat neck one is exactly what I've been looking for. What would you say the sizing is like? I normally am between 12/14. TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now