Flattering exercise wear?

(45 Posts)
VisitorTheDog Sat 27-Apr-13 23:26:54

I'm overweight, big boobs, csection tummy and starting to exercise for the first time in a long time. I know I'm not going to look great but why are all sports tops short, tight on the tummy and high neckline? Even going up sizes doesn't seem to help. Trousers are either a foot too long or skin tight capris...

Can anyone recommend anything/where? I've ordered from Sweaty Betty but am not really hopeful.

I wouldn't spend a huge amount on workout gear- try tk maxx- as in my experience, however much you wash stuff with sports wash or vinegar, eventually it will smell of sweat even when clean! But do buy a good bra- shock absorber are fab.

hortensemancini Tue 30-Apr-13 14:22:24

Thanks! I'll give Shock Absorbers another go. Do they fit true to size? I've tried on several M&S sports bras lately but either they have no support at all and just mash my norks together for an attractive 'bum cleavage' effect, or else they have that weird plasticy moulding inside that makes it look like my bosooom starts halfway down my chest and juts out like a shelf. I can almost feel the sweat pooling clammily thinking about them.

(Why do M&S insist on putting so much padding and underwiring into DD+ sports bras, anyway? I'm going to the gym, not a nightclub.)

PiHigh Tue 30-Apr-13 14:36:39

I have a Royce sports bra and a Freya Active one. Actually I have two of one but I can't remember which!

I think it's these trousers I have www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-mf-3s-tight-ld21-346011 and I'm short - I tuck about an inch up at the bottom.

Tops are just cheapy wide strapped summer vest tops from Sainsburys, Republic and Primark as they seem to have more length.

madmomma Tue 30-Apr-13 19:36:51

Sorry to hijack OP but does anyone have a solution to bouncing bellies? Once I strap my norks down they don't move, but my saggy belly bounces up + down and as well as being profoundly unattractive it's very uncomfortable. Is there a pair of running leggings that will support the hideous flab pillow?

cardoon Tue 30-Apr-13 19:40:04

Try a Primark tummy control vest madmomma

madmomma Tue 30-Apr-13 19:41:46

Ah thanks cardoon are they long? I've got that post csec apron that flops just above my knicker line.

cardoon Tue 30-Apr-13 19:44:24

Yeah, quite long, they have adjustable straps

RayofSun Tue 30-Apr-13 19:48:03

I agree with the Sweaty Betty proposal. I tried loads of different brands but theirs is comfy, flattering and feminine. It is pricey but worth it. I would look in the sale as reductions are pretty good.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 30-Apr-13 19:52:01

I'm a 30G and have never found a better bra than the Enell - rock solid, but you can't wear a low-cut top as it comes up quite high.
Actually, I quite enjoy the novelty of wearing a 'normal' t-shirt for once!

For workout gear, I bought long short-sleeved t-shirts from Dorothy Perkins a few years ago. Haven't found ideal bottoms yet - I don't have the knees for tight leggings but feel passé in bootcuts (still wear them though!) i did find some cotton yoga pants in TK Maxx and they're comfy but, again, flappy.

Panache sports bra. Used to wear shock absorber but Panache so much better. Am largish norked.

KristinaM Tue 30-Apr-13 21:58:18

The shock absorber run bras are small on the band. I'm a 30F and I have to buy a 32E.

Yeah, Shock Absorber Run is teeny weeny in the band - when I've been wearing 32G in everyday bras I've worn a 34FF and it's very snug. Very disappointed in Enell - thought they'd be the bee's knees but the support for me is on a par with the Run without its racerback done up. The whole point was that I can't do the racerback up due tea frozen shoulder so front-fastening would have been spot on. But the point is that sports bras are really personal, and absolutely essential to feeling comfortable (within reason!) when exercising.

OP, exercise kit is my one exception to the rule of wearing v or scoop necks - bit of one is okay, but anything deep is going to reveal either bra or very high, very squashed cleavage, neither of which is a good look! I have Nike and Adidas tips with a bit of a v, pretty nice but a bit old now!

I'm a fan of the Freya underwired sports bra - it also runs small in the band (seems to be common with sports bras!) I buy my usual "letter" but one band size up

VisitorTheDog Mon 06-May-13 22:41:02

Somehow I managed to miss all these replies, thank you! Will take a look at the suggestions smile

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Mon 06-May-13 22:44:32

I find my adidas running tights really flattering. I look good even when I'm at my porkiest. Unless my mirror is lying to me.

VisitorTheDog Tue 14-May-13 09:46:02

Ooh maybe I need to try those, the sound of the word 'tights' scared me off that type originally but maybe I need to be brave. My main problem is finding tops long enough though!

Rosepetal27 Mon 15-Jul-13 13:02:42

Has anyone tried Fittamamma?

I have been wearing their support top for the last 3 months whilst exercising and they are brilliant! and flattering to!
Here is the website www.fittamamma.com/
I really recommend it to anyone who is exercising when pregnant, and they say you can wear it all post pregnancy as well, which is good, something about supporting your tummy after pregnancy etc.

cardamomginger Mon 15-Jul-13 13:08:49

You can get technical running t-shirts, that have the cut and fit of a normal t-shirt - so not massively high on the neck and not that tight. If you want something with a longer length, you could try a man's technical running t-shirt. Will be a bit longer and a bit looser.

I really wouldn't recommend going for 'normal' t-shirts. You need a technical fabric that will wick away the sweat, otherwise you will feel so yucky within about 1 minute.

And second Shock Absorber for bras.

She Runs has some good stuff:
www.sheactive.co.uk/

carrie74 Mon 15-Jul-13 13:56:02

I can't bear anything loose when I'm exercising as it starts to chafe after a while.

Another vote for Sweaty Betty plus other good brands - the technology in these things is proven to keep you cooler, and fit well. I wear Ronhill capri and long leggings when I'm exercising. Must have had them for about 7 years and still going strong with no signs of wear. Also worth looking on ebay for Sweaty Betty - lots of people buying it and then never actually working out.

Allthingspretty Mon 15-Jul-13 14:11:43

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now