Wedding make up

(23 Posts)
lotsofboats Mon 29-Apr-13 10:23:53

I have been planning my wedding face for June.

I have found a lovely lip colour balm, It give a beautiful natural pink colour to your lip that looks fresh and youthful.

Clinique chubby stick, in woppin' watermelon.

I initially bought a tester size from ebay, for around £6, (still a very good size) liked it so much I bought the full size... Have a look, its lovely, and does not need a precise application like lipstick.

Also using a taupe for my eyes, with natural false lashes, for a subtle boost (practising these in private, and getting better at applying now)

Ooh also, Benefit moonbeam highlighter is just gorgeous for top of cheekbones, cupids bow, chin etc, its just lovely - also testers from ebay.. Haha

cookielove Sun 28-Apr-13 21:25:38

London re mascara I'm allergic to most mascara's so the mon or tues before my wedding (sat) I had my lashes dyed. Came out really well.

londonlivvy Sun 28-Apr-13 21:06:32

Thank you everyone!

Amazing face, I hope you get sunshine for your wedding too!

Fluffy. I like the idea of permanent lashes but not sure i could get dd to entertain herself long enough for me to get them done. But will investigate how long it takes! Plus how much money.

Dry white thanks for mascara recommendation. Also am a bit omg at those videos. Crikey that woman knows a LOT about make up. It's so in depth it's slightly daunting.

Hot soup if I bought all that I'd be broke! But if I can get a good foundation and some good eyes, I think I'd be well on the way to being happy with it.

auldspinster Sun 28-Apr-13 19:49:33

Have a look at the pixiwoo channel on youtube, they're a couple of sisters that are both make up artists, they have a few bridal looks.

HotSoupDumpling Sun 28-Apr-13 19:34:02

Livvy, seriously do not worry about not knowing how to apply stuff. Space Nk will show you all you need to know. As I said, I had no idea about make up, but only needed one demonstration (with me scribbling things down). One practice session by myself, then the wedding day. And it was fine! The only big thing that can go wrong is if you attempt complex stuff with eyes.

The basics I bought were:
- nice primer
- foundation
- blusher
- eye shadow
- I used clear mascara as I knew I would be doing lots of crying, didn't trust the waterproof!
- lipstick
- eyelash curler

That's all!

Op....I'm obsessed with waterproof mascara, I use a Max Factor one and it doesn't budge. I use Johnsons eye make up remover ( it gets w/p mascara off a dream.)
I did my own make up too....wanted to look like me.
Make sure you emphasise your eyes so they show up in photos.
There are lots of natural looking lip shades....go for a long wear one so you won't need to keep reapplying.
Touch Éclat can give you panda eyes In photos.
Look at
this
For loads of ideas, you'll spend hours and can do it at home!
Good luck and hope it goes ell.

I had false semi permanent eyelashes for my wedding, looked fab and no eye make up to remove/run/smudge so no panda eyes!.

They pissed me right off until they fell off but it was worth it and I'd do it again.

amazingface Sun 28-Apr-13 14:52:19

londonlivvy, try the Garnier Simply Essentials 2 in 1 eye make-up remover. Cheap and does the job, even for waterproof make-up, and doesn't irritate.

I totally empathise with the not having time, although my DD is 15 months so it's possible to get a bit more done now! I've pretty much done it all (except for the make-up purchases) online. You can see why people wait to have kids before getting married, eh? Must be lovely having all the time to faff about and get really into the details! Anyway, fingers crossed for some sun for us both - I think we're probably getting married around the same date smile

londonlivvy Sun 28-Apr-13 13:15:09

I live in Surrey and not sure i can face selfridges with a six month old baby. I hate shopping at the best of times...

But the space nk tip sounds like it could work.

Tips on waterproof mascara removal? I don't want to look like a drag queen on our wedding night.

londonlivvy Sun 28-Apr-13 13:13:31

Am beginning to realise that not only do I know nothing (have never used eyelash curlers) but also I do not have enough time to learn to use lots of new products. I should have thought about this before the baby arrived. Ah well.

I'm going to try space nk tomorrow and hopefully dd will be good and entertain herself in her pushchair for a bit.

Thanks for the tip about SPF make up. I had no idea. But since the wedding and reception are in very well lit venues and it's summer, I'm hoping for a lot of natural light (ok, ok, I'm hoping for sunshine, but realistic enough to know that anywhere in England in May could well be rainy!)

amazingface Sun 28-Apr-13 11:37:23

Re. the SPF whiteface thing, I've decided I'm just going to have to take my chances with this sad Recently (on a S&B recommendation, I think), I bought Lancôme Teint Idole 24h foundation. It's so perfect in every way - coverage and shade match for my very pale skin - but it has SPF. I think I'd just rather look nice in person on the day instead of worrying that everyone is looking at my drag queen face! Even if the drag queen face photographs better! It's only a tiny wedding, and I'll just try and get most of the pictures done outside in daylight.

noviceoftheday Sun 28-Apr-13 05:26:36

I had never used primer before my make up artist used it for my wedding. For the first time ever my make up stayed on the whole day without becoming slippery and sliding off, even in the 25 degree heat. That would be my best recommendation.

I did a mac makeover but I think you have to pay for that so wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a bargain. The products are super though and I think the cost of the makeover is deducted off the cost of products you buy.

A few months ago, I had my second makeover at Nars. I was in the US and had a few hours to kill. It was free and I didn't have to buy anything. I did because he made me look amazing. I would really recommend their primer and their matte foundation which together have fantastic staying power.

Finally, if you're near London, the Selfridges make up counter is fantastic.

Congratulations and good luck!

mirai Sun 28-Apr-13 05:22:59

One tip, on the day don't wear any moisturiser/foundation/powder that has an SPF in. It'll glare in the camera flash and give you a white face!

noviceoftheday Sun 28-Apr-13 05:14:26

I had never used primer before my make up artist used it for my wedding. For the first time ever my make up stayed on the whole day without becoming slippery and sliding off, even in the 25 degree heat. That would be my best recommendation.

I did a mac makeover but I think you have to pay for that so wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a bargain. The products are super though and I think the cost of the makeover is deducted off the cost of products you buy.

A few months ago, I had my second makeover at Nars. I was in the US and had a few hours to kill. It was free and I didn't have to buy anything. I did because he made me look amazing. I would really recommend their primer and their matte foundation which together have fantastic staying power.

Finally, if you're near London, the Selfridges make up counter is fantastic.

Congratulations and good luck!

I also did my own make up.

I went for LOTS of consultations beforehand to find the perfect foundation. You want something that won't flashback in photos but is long lasting and probably fairly high coverage (depending on skin). A natural eye is nicest, unless you are having a theme (can only think of a vintage theme really, where you may have red lips and winged liner).

I didn't use primer, but I got a sample of Teint Miracle by Lancome which lasted me all day, only touched up my lippie.

Good luck!

Oh, Maybelline The Falsies waterproof is great. Curl, mascara, then curl again for long lasting excellent curl.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 27-Apr-13 23:18:03

Primer for your face is the same as primer fur painting - it helps the make up stick!

Get your new products as soon as you can and practice practice practice. It's important you fell like yourself on your wedding day.

Enjoy it. I would get married again tomorrow. It was my favourite day ever.

londonlivvy Sat 27-Apr-13 21:18:11

Thanks everyone. I think there is a space nk not too far away so maybe I'll be able to go during a nap (leaving dd with her dad) and get some tips. I have no idea what primer is (unless in a DIY capacity)!!

Since the wedding is three weeks away I am going to not be too ambitious tho. Any tips on waterproof mascara?

AnythingNotEverything Sat 27-Apr-13 19:20:18

The key to long lasting make up is primer! I'd agree with going to a counter. The ysl counter in my local debenhams is great, not pushy, and they found me a great primer and foundation for my wedding last year. It would take 10 minutes, max.

Congratulations and best of luck!

pookeysmum Sat 27-Apr-13 19:16:55

I did the same as princessx and at the time wore make up regularly but not foundation. I found that space nk were very helpful and I now go there whenever I want to update key things such as foundation and concealer.

On the day using a powder highlighter helped a lot to just brighten my look (i used a stila one that wasnt too sparkly but not sure they do it anymore) and I'd picked up some good tips for applying other make up at space nk that I still use now.

cookielove Sat 27-Apr-13 15:15:10

I did my own make up for my wedding, on my hen do months before my wedding i had a try of bare minerals make up and found there shades to be spot on for my skin, i have Rosecea (sp?) and it was covered beautifully!! I didn't do anything special aside from that as i wanted to look natural smile The photo's came out lovely and looking at them makes me smile not think i should of put on more make up or anything the only thing that annoys me is that dh didn't do his tie up right grrrrr

HotSoupDumpling Sat 27-Apr-13 15:08:28

Princessx has probably hit on the best deal.

I also DIYed make up at my wedding and was really really pleased with the results in the day and in the photos (if you want to look good in photos, the key thing is to use a great photographer with good up to date photoshop skills - not to cake on the make up with a trowel!). I also wanted to look natural and kissable and huggable on the day.

I had a one hour appointment at MAC in Covent Garden London, free if I spent £50 on make up. We discussed the look I was going for (natural, polished, summery, subtle) and they hit on it spot on. They showed me how to put it on and wrote everything down for me. Ended up spending £100, but still use the lovely make up a couple of years on at all special events. I should point out that I'm not a regular make-up user though!

princessx Sat 27-Apr-13 13:47:41

Hi there, congrats on your wedding!
I did my own make-up for my wedding and spent a lot of time planning to make sure I got it right.

First I went for a free makeover at space nk. Is there one near you? I chose space nk because they can choose any brand unlike a dept store make up counter. They can not only find what product is best, but they can tell you how to apply it etc.

My main aim was to find a foundation I was happy with, because once I got that right I thought I could get cheaper lipstick eye shadow etc.

Well I actually ended up going for 2 other make overs at different space nks and finally found my foundation: chantecaille it's called (think that's how it's spelt) apparently it's popular with brides and it is great.

I learned different things from each makeover but the main thing was my eyebrows, I always got them waxed, but I never brushed them or used eyebrow pencil and it changed my whole look. Plus I learnt a out all those hidden products like primer and highlighters.

I also got bobbi browns book out of the library on how to apply make up properly. Main thing I learned: how to do eyeliner properly.

I was really pleased with my make up on the day. I heard that you should wear a strong lipstick to show up in photos, but I decided my priority was to look as good as poss in front of the guests, I thought I'd look silly with too much lipstick. But in retrospect more or a stronger lippy would have looked better in photos.

The benefit of all that research is I've got an excellent make up bag 3 yrs on still using the same products. I can get make up on in under 5 mins and it always looks great!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

londonlivvy Sat 27-Apr-13 13:21:37

I'm hoping the collective wisdom of mumsnet will be able to make me a lovelier version of myself for my wedding day. I've been a bridesmaid three times and had my make up done by a professional on each occasion and not liked it. I looked plastic and caked in it and just not me. So I'm going to do my own make up on my wedding day.

The problem is that I'm not a very girly girl and don't wear make up most of the time. If I do, it's a bit of garnier bb cream (light) and a bit of blusher. (Bobbi brown pale pink). I am not a fan of shopping and dd is six months old so am a bit short on time to go to beauty counters and try stuff out. If I've got a specific suggestion that would be brilliant and help me to cut through the bewildering sales chat and get to the good products!

I have skin tending towards the greasy. I've got bigish eyes and good cheekbones but also a big nose so need to deflect attention. I never wear lipstick. Just haven't ever got the hang of it nor found a colour I like and lipgloss is just sticky and annoying.

So...
Can anyone recommend a foundation that's easy to apply (like the bb cream) but with greater longevity please?
And my mascara is ok (max factor false lash effect) but it's not waterproof and I sense I will blub at some point!

I have some eyeshadow which I might try but some people have said the cream stuff works better for longevity and I am 37 so have a few wrinkles. Brand suggestions?

Ay other ideas would be great. Sorry to sound so clueless. Make up just ain't my thing.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now