What does mumsy look like?

(500 Posts)
appletarts Fri 26-Apr-13 20:16:17

What do you think of when you think mumsy? I'm interested in opinions and pics if anyone finds something quintessentially mumsy. It's my fear, looking all mummy.

JoyceDivision Fri 26-Apr-13 21:50:36

I am growing out my short hair. It looks like Boris Johnsons, but brown.

I live in Birkenstocks. When its cold I live in converse.

I like breton tops.

I don't make major effort with my appearance.

Sometime I wear a bodywarmer.

I might look mumsy, but I suspect not, because I look like a bouncer, esp as I live in big shades to ward off thecrows feet round my eyes grin

Plus, I'd rather not give a tos,s than try to keep up with some clique or adhere to some I'm trying to look cool but look like I'm not trying hard weird double standard thing?

Fishandjam Fri 26-Apr-13 21:58:20

I've always worked on the basis that pretty much no matter what I wear, Docs will save me from mumsiness. Am I wrong? confused

CorrieDale Sat 27-Apr-13 07:33:57

I'm stuck with boot cuts because skinnies look terrible on me and I didn't lose 3 stone just to look as if my legs are short and fat. Which they are but I don't need to show the world that! The bootcuts are a good long length though so do I pass?

Mrsrobertduvall Sat 27-Apr-13 07:42:49

Anything from Per Una especially midi panelled skirts.

FrugalFashionista Sat 27-Apr-13 07:53:41

Corrie and Bunbaker whatever works best for your shape always looks best! I've seen a bootcut mini-revival (worn long over heeled boots) this spring where I live. Skinnies are starting to looking dated, they aren't exactly a new idea...

But I cannot understand these 'mumsy' threads. Most of us here have children and most of us have had to adapt our lifestyle and fashion choices somewhat because we have families. If the right choice for someone is comfort-oriented clothes, pastels and a bit of glitter, what is wrong with that?

FrugalFashionista Sat 27-Apr-13 07:57:05

Btw the fashion people around here have rediscovered midi skirts. This season the classic frumpy look (mid length skirts and modest mid heel shoes) is very fashionable wink

elfycat Sat 27-Apr-13 08:00:03

Isn't mumsy a state of mind? the one where you look knackered, dark circles round your eyes and you'd kill for half a day with nothing else to do but sleep

I was feeling mumsy in long skirts and white blouses, left over from office work before having the DDs. It's about a rut, whatever you wear.

noddyholder Sat 27-Apr-13 08:03:08

Hair 'styles' that don't move. Patterned maxi dresses. Sensible coats and boots. Tunics with leggings. Too muh matchy stuff. Anything rock ad roll,if you aren't eg studs biker jackets PVC jeggings. Too many accessories esp scarves and beads

happyfreeconfused Sat 27-Apr-13 08:09:47

Mumsy is also about your shape. I am slim but I am sure my waist is getting thicker and my hips are bigger, making my legs look shorter - overall look equals dumpy. I have to be really careful what I wear now. The wrong length skirt and I age about 15 years.

Bunbaker Sat 27-Apr-13 08:18:58

What do fashionistas wear when the weather is inclement if they aren't allowed to wear practical clothes? Do they just get wet/cold/sore feet?

I love my maxi dresses and will continue to wear them.
Stick tongue out grin

marriedinwhiteagain Sat 27-Apr-13 08:28:22

Well yesterday I wore narrow jeans (not quite skinny - don't have skinny enough legs), metallic ballet pumps, a linen, a linen tunic and a very elderly military cut fitted jacket. I didn't feel mumsy.

The jeans were Per Una (and last weekend I tried on 17 pair of jeans, some of which were priced at £170 and the Per Una ones were the best fit and the most comfy), the tunic Next, the shoes Clarks and the jacket was John Lewis own, circa 2004. I don't know what label attaches to me really, but I felt dressed comfortably and in things that flattered me.

That might be it actually, mumsy might be wearing things that don't flatter and starting to look as you don't care but I don't think there are "mumsy looks" per se.

Bunbaker Sat 27-Apr-13 08:30:56

The narrow straight jeans from Per Una are the best thing they have done for years. Beware that that do shrink a little though. I thought I had put on some weight, but the length has shrunk as well.

seeker Sat 27-Apr-13 08:38:04

Me.

Fuckitthatlldo Sat 27-Apr-13 08:40:32

Boot cut jeans a fraction too short, worn with low heeled black ankle boots and a fleece.

Or in the summer, shapeless wide legged linen trousers from M+S with an equally shapeless white shirt/blouse thing and a 'statement' (read plastic) necklace.

Short, practical haircut or - alternatively - long, unstyled hair that could do with being cut into a proper style, pulled back into a pony tail. Dingy looking skin. Little to no make-up.

These women are ten a penny where I live and personally it makes me want to weep. Because every woman can look good with a bit of effort and imagination. All women have something beautiful about them. All of us have good points we can emphasise.

But hey, I get it that some people care a lot less than others. And I'm sure that many of these women are perfectly content with themselves and their lives and would just rather spend the time they could be using to style their hair and put some thought into their clothes and make-up, doing something else. Fair enough.

GenghisCanDoHisOwnWashing Sat 27-Apr-13 08:55:32

ItsAllTLAsToMe - I'm with you, how can this make anyone feel good about themselves? I have my hair in a bob because it's really fine and looks crap long. Nothing I can do about it, this style suits me best. According to mnet that makes me mumsy.
I don't however wear fleeces (unless out for a proper muddy/wellies etc) walk.
I do wear bootleg jeans because I have fat legs so they look best.
No pastels, florals (well maybe one) or sparkles.
I do, however have a regatta jacket for when it's raining on the school run (would not be worn on an evening out).

I couldn't give a crap what people wear, I have one really glamourous friend and one who only wears sweatshirts, jeans and trainers. I have button necklace wearing white-stuff friends and primarni friends. I don't class any of them as mumsy, they are just women wearing what they like <righteous hat on>

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 27-Apr-13 09:01:44

In my opinion you just can't say pastels/florals etc are mumsy - that's madness. Its also a bit sad that mumsy is an insult really - seems we're either mutton or mumsy.

But button necklaces - why? I just don't get them - for me its not that they're mumsy they're just odd.

FrugalFashionista Sat 27-Apr-13 09:04:25

Bunbaker parkas wink
If you look at fashion week winter shots taken outside you'll see a lot of people in wildly inappropriate clothes and taxi shoes. And then a couple of people (often Swedes and Russians) decked out in parkas, good wool coats and fur.

My advice for anyone living in a rainy/cold climate would be to spend your time and money on finding some great coats and boots - that's what you are going to wear most of the time. A parka can look very dowdy on a non-model body type so try to find a style that works for your shape.

hedgefund Sat 27-Apr-13 09:05:52

women in john lewis (especially in the white stuff dept) generally look mumsy

Bunbaker Sat 27-Apr-13 09:10:38

I think basically I am not the least bit interested in high fashion. I am 54 and would look ridiculous in a parka. (I am slim though grin)

FrugalFashionista Sat 27-Apr-13 09:26:58

Bunbaker I don't do parkas wink <would look like a lost hiker>
But a good winter coat is worth investing in - my best one is Dr Zhivago style princess-cut full length flared black, always get lots of compliments for it and have had it since the 1990s.

I think that the problem with fashion right now is that it's geared toward looks that look good on models but not necessarily real people. I've been reading fashion history and designers like Chanel and Balenciaga and Schiaparelli specialized in clothes that flattered their rich and middle aged customers. Chanel made cardigans and sweaters and jackets and suits that were men's sportswear adapted for women (her big innovation was jersey that adapted to body movements - really liberating after rigid corsets and elaborate hats). Cristobal Balenciaga came up with the sack dress that was really good for a more rotund body shape. Schiaparelli came up with hyper-emphasized shoulders - when shoulders were exaggerated, non-slim waists looked tiny.

Those couturiers designed clothes by pinning fabric on real bodies. Many clothes these days are 'two-dimensional', designed to look good on clothes hangers and online store displays and on people who have tall, lank, flat two-dimensional bodies. Real bodies, however, are usually extremely three-dimensional wink and the mismatch is a problem...

mewkins Sat 27-Apr-13 09:28:21

I think if this moved to the feminist section we may get some sensible responses along the lines of why must we invent lots of derogatory terms to label and judge women. 'Mumsy', frumpy etc. We aren't nearly as judgemental about men's appearances for goodness sake.

From reading numerous threads on here, we must all live in fear of turning into a stereotype so that other women will have ammunition to sneer. How lovely.
Oh yes, and we must all be French or we are nothing. I'll work on that.

hedgefund Sat 27-Apr-13 09:29:48

mn is very judgemental about mens appearances especially when they go topless in the summer and show off their tatts

appletarts Sat 27-Apr-13 09:49:18

For me it is about more than fashion, I started this thread because I dread being all mumsy and no me, it's about keeping my identity. But Here I am with a bob hairdo that doesn't move cos I'm growing out a crop which I thought looked edgy but actually just made me look mumsy. I try to remember what I wore before I was a mum but those things are out of date now so wearing what I once wore would make me look frumpy, read mumsy. I love the ironic 70's loafers worn with midlength skirts but that's not very ironic when you are actually beginning to look proper middle aged is it? All is not lost, I do still have my own sense of style and wouldn't be seen dead in pastels/florals/sparkles/gap sweater/anorak with maxi dress etc etc. I don't think this is a demeaning debate, I think S&B is all about just that surely? Meaning everyone over here is looking to make the most of their appearance most over here aren't looking to get frumpy. I thought this subject was implicit in most of the threads on S&B. See the models in white stuff don't look mumsy but put a knackered dumpy mum in it and hey presto! It's also the long old dilemma of what the sod do you wear once you're no longer in early twenties.

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 27-Apr-13 09:56:44

I had my long hair cut into a bob, it's being grown out now as I'm not old enough for short hair and it looks mumsy.

Bunbaker Sat 27-Apr-13 09:57:25

Frugal I have a beautiful winter coat and always get complimented when I wear it, but it isn't always practical. It is more a of a coat for best or going to work/church/out for the evening and it isn't waterproof or even showerproof. We get a lot of damp weather where we live and I don't want to spend most of my time in the car just because I want to look naice.

Also, it isn't as warm as my Cotton Traders duvet coat which I have needed to wear a lot this winter as it has been so cold and snowy. I needed it for waiting at the station in the snow because I couldn't get the car out and for walking to the shop in the snow to get supplies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now