What does mumsy look like?

(500 Posts)
appletarts Fri 26-Apr-13 20:16:17

What do you think of when you think mumsy? I'm interested in opinions and pics if anyone finds something quintessentially mumsy. It's my fear, looking all mummy.

TooMuchRain Fri 26-Apr-13 21:10:06

I always think of White Stuff - you know, bright tunics that look a bit like pinafores - the kind of clothes that look a child's

ExRatty Fri 26-Apr-13 21:14:46

I like mumsy. It's a uniform.

There are different mum tribes

There is the frustrated Pony CLub commissioner type
loves puffa gilet
fitted jackets
little scarf
fitted trousers with either long boots or flats

There is sexy household slut academic exerciser mum
turns up in yoga gear
spinning gear
catsuit
pvc
band t shirt
weird literary or music festival t shirt <holey>
pj bottoms that might also be from thailand or tibet
mix of the above

I don't think i'm mumsy mumsy
these days is biker boots or fly boots
next parka
breton
high waisted tragic not your daughter jeans
low waisted and escaping muffin top
"naturally" home dyed hair (if natural hair colour was once hiawatha)
soon linen and birkenstocks with standard next top of the season
juicy tube lips with attached hair

LifeofPo Fri 26-Apr-13 21:16:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Fri 26-Apr-13 21:18:51

Everyone has different styles, so its just your own personal opinion.
I wear jeans and Converse everyday, some people think that is a mumsy uniform obviously they are wrong

cocolepew Fri 26-Apr-13 21:19:57

That wasnt to anyone in particular btw.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 26-Apr-13 21:21:12

Coco - I wear pistols a lot. And according to many on here they're mum boots and worse than that - bloody expensive mum boots. shock wink

LifeofPo Fri 26-Apr-13 21:22:58

LifeofPo Fri 26-Apr-13 21:25:27

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 26-Apr-13 21:26:29

Gwynnie's frock with the sheer side panels wasn't mumsy but it may be a tad much on the school run.

Bunbaker Fri 26-Apr-13 21:27:35

Hear, hear ItsAllTLAsToMe

Most of the sneery remarks here have described me to a T. I can't wear high heels, they hurt my feet. I find skinny jeans uncomfortable and deeply unflattering. Low rise jeans are very uncomfortable as well, and, yes, I own a Regatta jacket because I don't like getting wet.

I am sat here in my Gap stripey top and Tommy Hilfiger bootcuts feeling depressed about my clothes.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 26-Apr-13 21:27:51

You see I think that Miranda/boden'esque/whitestuff'esque style can look nice. Its not for me but still . . . I guess in some ways I look back at pictures of my granny in her smart summer dresses and god it looked a whole lot easier. You had a few nice frocks and you were sorted.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 26-Apr-13 21:28:49

Bunbaker - just call it a breton and your jeans skinny bootcuts and there you go - chic rather than mumsy.

Takver Fri 26-Apr-13 21:28:58

"There is sexy household slut academic exerciser mum
turns up in yoga gear
spinning gear
catsuit
pvc
band t shirt
weird literary or music festival t shirt <holey>
pj bottoms that might also be from thailand or tibet
mix of the above"

Now I am PMSL picturing pickup time at ExRattyMinor school grin

LifeofPo Fri 26-Apr-13 21:29:21

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 26-Apr-13 21:29:42

And its far more stylish in my opinion to wear clothes that suit you/flatter you and that you are comfortable in than to struggle in styles that do you no favours.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 26-Apr-13 21:30:36

I can't do white stuff because I don't do tunics and I can't get past the button necklaces - I think I have an actual phobia of them.

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 26-Apr-13 21:30:50

Itsall this is friendly. Honest. Plainly reading this far we all have our mumsy days, our cant be fecked days, our shite I need help days, but thus far there's a quiet proudness there in the background.

I hope a lurker sees that too, along with picturing the fleecy bad haired high jeans wearer!

Awks Fri 26-Apr-13 21:34:07

Gawd who has the vapours if someone doesn't like their clothes? Blardy hell. Mumsy to me is Bon Marche, maxi dresses, linen loose trousers with drawstring waists and those scarves that have necklacey bits attached.

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 26-Apr-13 21:34:21

I've also had great sex when wearing a white stuff dress so I'm biased on that one.

Was in padstien (padstow) though... Does that still count?

cocolepew Fri 26-Apr-13 21:34:40

See, I think I'm not mumsy because I slap a full face of make up on and have swishy hair. Therefore it doesn't matter what I wear
I admit I'm probably completely deluded.

LifeofPo Fri 26-Apr-13 21:34:58

hermioneweasley Fri 26-Apr-13 21:38:05

I have been described to a T! It doesn't seem to matter what I do - I can make anything look mumsy. It's my superpower.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 26-Apr-13 21:40:28

Hermione - I have a tendency to look very newsreader if I'm not careful. Bit too much volume in the blowdry and I'm in dangerous territory and don't let me go near a boucle jacket.

Awks Fri 26-Apr-13 21:44:08

I get your newsreadery unfortunate-ness. I'm the air hostess circa 1980.

cocolepew Fri 26-Apr-13 21:44:26

grin at hermione and MCB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now