What does mumsy look like?

(500 Posts)
appletarts Fri 26-Apr-13 20:16:17

What do you think of when you think mumsy? I'm interested in opinions and pics if anyone finds something quintessentially mumsy. It's my fear, looking all mummy.

FoundAChopinLizt Thu 02-May-13 07:49:10

I wonder what Johnnie Boden would make of this thread.

If he is real, of course.

AphraBehn Thu 02-May-13 13:01:10

He is. My friend used to work for him.

Bunbaker Thu 02-May-13 13:31:14

I wore my ballet flats to go shopping this morning. I was so glad to get home and take them off because my feet ache. When I pick DD up after school to go to the shopping mall I shall wear my mumsy but comfortable shoes.

LifeofPo Thu 02-May-13 14:43:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FoundAChopinLizt Thu 02-May-13 14:51:03

Mumsy vs mumsassy...

Snowme Fri 03-May-13 01:28:18

Waterfall cardigans.

Mock tops.

Bootcut jeans.

A pushchair.

Samu2 Fri 03-May-13 08:50:41

Yes! Tanya from EE is mumsy.

fromparistoberlin Fri 03-May-13 09:07:52

I suspect Jonny B is a bell end in RL

MysteriousHamster Fri 03-May-13 23:04:02

I think we shouldn't judge people's happiness by their look.

If someone is in jeans and hoody or whatever, you can choose to think they don't look very stylish. But don't assume they don't care about themselves or that they're not happy. Some people enjoy a casual look sometimes! I certainly do on my day off, after four days of office wear. Sometimes I make an effort because I've got a meeting, but on the inside I'm dying because I'm going through a tough time.

Judge my style (I don't have much, but that's fine). Don't judge me.

mathanxiety Sat 04-May-13 08:32:34

Judging others by their looks is probably an indication that the eye of the beholder is a sad or insecure one.

Rulesgirl Sat 04-May-13 22:44:38

No one is judging anyone I don't think. The op asked what Mumsy means to them. People responded with an array of answers. smile

VenusRising Sat 04-May-13 23:23:22

I think what mumsy means to me is a safe comfortable look that indicates celibacy, or that red hot animal sex is off the menu (for a while anyway) blush

Whether its because everyone's knackered, or recovering from childbirth: or just feels overtouched during the day.
its difficult to define, but fir me it's not a sexy, carefree look, more a comforting, nourishing look- soft materials, with no sharp studs or spikes, as they'd take the baby's eye out!

I suppose what I see mumsy in essence, is the way women look before they get their style mojo back after childbirth, when they still have children hanging out of them and are mostly covered in snot and other delightful bodily fluids!!!!!

I think it takes about 6 years after the birth of your youngest to leave the mumsy phase. You know, when they can blow their own noses, and you're not having to run to fish them out of ponds etc.

fedupofnamechanging Sun 05-May-13 12:49:27

I think mumsy is dressing purely to cover one's body in something warm and comfy, with no thought to fit and whether shape of clothes is flattering to body. It is dressing with no attempt to look sexually attractive.

On non work days I aspire to mumsy as my style then is hobo.

MysteriousHamster Sun 05-May-13 18:35:42

Rules, you haven't seen the posts (I am paraphrasing, it's a long thread) that say people who don't make an effort must be too tired or too sad to do so? There's definitely judging here. Maybe it's easy for some to miss.

Bunbaker Sun 05-May-13 19:25:59

"It is dressing with no attempt to look sexually attractive"

Really?!!!

I want to look attractive and wear clothes that suit me, but I don't want to look sexually attractive.

fedupofnamechanging Sun 05-May-13 19:59:05

But isn't that what attractive means? I'm not talking about obviously sexy (revealing or skin tight) clothing, but dressing in a way that flatters shape and makes a person look like they are still a sexual being rather than someone who doesn't care at all about it.

I don't think that looking 'attractive' all the time is necessary or important btw, only that some looks are and some aren't. I'm not attaching any value judgement to it.

I'm probably not explaining what I mean very clearly.

mathanxiety Sun 05-May-13 20:04:42

So while we are not judging, women who are mumsy are unattractive, deliberately sexually unappealing, tired/sad/women who have thrown in the towel.

There is no way things like that can be said without some value judgement attached.

dexter73 Sun 05-May-13 20:12:06

I don't think being called mumsy is ever meant as a compliment.

MysteriousHamster Sun 05-May-13 21:01:36

You can wear a 'mumsy' White Stuff tunic and still look sexually appealing, you know...

fedupofnamechanging Sun 05-May-13 22:35:20

Mysterious, I think that some women can wear a sack and look sexually appealing, but other women can't. I don't think it's about wearing certain brands/styles, but about wearing clothes that fit/flatter shape.

math, I never said anything about these women being tired/sad and throwing in the towel and actually I do think you can say that someone looks unattractive/sexually unappealing without making a value judgement. For myself (and probably for most people), there are times when it is important to me to look sexually attractive and times when it isn't.

Catlike Mon 06-May-13 10:04:13

It is dressing with no attempt to look sexually attractive.

Not always. Tanya from Eastenders has been cited as an example of mumsiness and I'd agree with that but she's still very attractive. I don't think her safe, dull wardrobe would put many men off sleeping with her.

fedupofnamechanging Mon 06-May-13 10:36:12

I think Tanya does make an attempt to look sexually attractive. Her 'look' might not be to everyone's taste but I don't think people can say she makes no effort.

OrangeMabel Mon 06-May-13 12:07:25

So you have to dress to look sexually attractive or you're mumsy? There's no in-between; you can't look pretty or stylish or attractive or relaxed? You have to look as though you're up for it or celibate? hmm

fedupofnamechanging Mon 06-May-13 12:48:24

Sexually attractive does not = 'up for it'. Sexually attractive encompasses pretty etc. It just means not dressing as though you are not at all interested in being appealing in appearance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now