What to wear over very pale legs in summer with skirts??

(68 Posts)
megandraper Thu 25-Apr-13 15:18:00

My legs are not fit to go bare - pale, blotchy and 40+

In winter I wear black opaques - but what can I wear with summer skirts?

DearPrudence Thu 25-Apr-13 15:22:03

I was looking at a nice skirt just today, and had exactly the same thought. Waiting for someone to come along with the magic answer.

freddiefrog Thu 25-Apr-13 15:27:50

Fake tan?

My legs are also pretty awful so use a squizz of fake tan. Not enough to look orange, just enough to lose the dazzle from the whiteness

I just get my legs out. My right leg is heavily scarred but they are my legs and if I what them out I will grin

allmycats Thu 25-Apr-13 15:30:09

Natural looking tights - evens out the skin tone and, if you are of a larger size stops naked thighs rubbing together.

heronsfly Thu 25-Apr-13 15:32:49

I'm interested in any suggestions as well,, my legs are bad too, scar running all along inside of left leg and generally old,pale and blotchy grin, I love the new trend of leggings under skirts and dresses but too hot in summer.

SinisterSal Thu 25-Apr-13 15:33:50

Holiday skin type stuff?

I use Sally Hanson airbrushed legs. Fake tan doesn't work for me but this just removes the milk whiteness and evens out skintone.

Lottapianos Thu 25-Apr-13 15:35:19

A really good moisturiser smile That's all I do. I gave up fake tan a few years ago and haven't looked back. Exfoliate and moisture well and you will be fine

MrsMills Thu 25-Apr-13 15:35:24

MAC face and body foundation. Makes my legs look less shockingly white with no orange streaks or obvious fakery. Just 'normal' legs.

StuckOnARollercoaster Thu 25-Apr-13 15:40:38

While its still a bit chilly there are two options - long boots (no tights but trainer socks inside!) or natural looking tights.
Once its warm I will go bare, even though I am very pale. I start about now getting my legs into a nice condition - exfoliate (lots of attention of ankles and soles of feet and moisturise.
I try to buy skirts and shoes that go with my pale skin, but at the start of the season I will use a bit of tinted lotion (I really like Benefit Jiffy Tan which isn't too dark, but washes of rather than being a fake tan with that funny fake tan smell that stays for a few days)
After a few weeks out in the open(not last year!!!) my legs are naturally a bit less pale and look better even though they never look 'tanned', but match the rest of my pale face and arms!!!

CheesyPoofs Thu 25-Apr-13 15:44:54

Leggings

megandraper Thu 25-Apr-13 15:46:15

hmm, natural tights. A voice in my head is screaming 'NOT AMERICAN TAN TIGHTS!'

But I am sure there is a more natural type of natural. Any tips?

LadyBigtoes Thu 25-Apr-13 15:47:27

Same here- super pale, 40+ legs.

I will wear knee-length or just below the knee dresses with bare legs. Like rollercoaster says, prepare the legs and you can improve them a lot - - if you can be arsed - wax, exfoliate, moisturise, and use one of those shimmery oil leg sprays. I sometimes also use a bit of that very light fake tan that develops gradually, just for a pale golden effect, not an actual tan. Also I love choosing nice sandals and wearing bright toenail polish in summer. Jazz things up at the foot/toe end and distract attention from the legs.

I also wear mini-dresses / long tunic tops with leggings or cropped jeans, I like this look as I'm not happy to show off my knees.

LadyMountbatten Thu 25-Apr-13 15:48:00

Just get them out in the garden.

Honestly !

LadyBigtoes Thu 25-Apr-13 15:48:15

But I don't do tights. I love my woolly winter opaques but I can't stand how "flesh" coloured/"summer" tights look.

dexter73 Thu 25-Apr-13 15:50:48

Just go bare legged - nothing will happen if you do!

second sally hansen, is brilliant stuff

BranchingOut Thu 25-Apr-13 15:55:44

I have just got a pair of light beige-tan spring boots.
Some people swear by nude fishnets. Or hold ups.
Mostly I just hope that no one is looking too closely!

megandraper Thu 25-Apr-13 15:57:39

I like the sound of your boots Branching out - where are they from? (if you don't mind me asking)

LovedayMerryweather Thu 25-Apr-13 16:25:42

I go for dark, unshaven leg hair. I think it suits me. No one has ever said anything, anyway.

GypsyFloss Thu 25-Apr-13 16:57:42

I love St Tropez gradual tanner for taking the glow off my legs and then I let the sun at them. It's the only tanner that doesn't streak on me but I do have to scrupulously exfoliate with their body polish first.

scripsi Thu 25-Apr-13 17:05:40

I do use very thin summer tights and thanks to MN I also have nude fishnets. I absolutely hate wearing shoes with bare feet.

Pandsbear Thu 25-Apr-13 17:13:01

Why worry? No-one is looking anyway! (I hope)

FrugalFashionista Thu 25-Apr-13 17:16:42

Sheer black tights are all the rage in Italy right now, most commonly worn with cutoffs paired with flats, converse or slouchy summer weight suede boots. Temperatures around 25C, tourists lobster red in shorts and flipflops.

I saw someone looking super chic in a gauzy ankle length plisse skirt yesterday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now