bad brazilian

(52 Posts)
glub Wed 24-Apr-13 21:43:38

so i went for a wax today, i just walked into a few places to see who would have an immediate appointment available...
it was awful. the therapist was really highly strung, she ripped a few of the strips upwards (that's wrong right?) so they ripped at the skin. then she kept telling me the problem was the fact that my hair was too long down there (aren't they supposed to be able to deal with a bush?) she even told me i should shave it a week before getting another wax, and that she was therefore going to leave the lips 'this time'. i mean, who shaves the inner bits anyway? seems a little dangerous! and it was really, really painful, which she kept asking about, and i said it was painful and she said 'well it's hair removal' as in that's what it's like. she also placed my hands to stretch the skin. i was shaking afterwards and felt pretty traumatised sad it was totally wrong right? i've only been once before but that was a while ago. i don't remember it being like this though. do i need to review her/report her?!

Lucylloyd13 Thu 16-May-13 14:59:17

Brazillians are not for everyone, and counter intuitively are best done after a trim has reduced much of the thatch.

Having a therapist pulling their labia around and tearing the hair off is not pleasant.

For me a hand adminsitered razor does the trick.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 26-Apr-13 21:44:12

While i agree it sounds par for the course for a Brazilian, you may just have to find another therapist. A waxer, like a pilot, should have panache and confidence and act as a trusted guide on what is a strange and potentially scary journey. grin

MavisSnapdragon Fri 26-Apr-13 21:18:59

Isn't a Playboy where they rip it off the front and stick on the back in a little bunny tail?

Crunchymunchyhoneycakes Fri 26-Apr-13 20:47:12

I got my bikini area waxed once, it was excruciating in lots of different ways.

I know you don't want to hear this but..as a therapist myself I would not go to someone who was free there and then. Good therapists are worth waiting for.

She sounds very inexperienced. The holding skin taut is totally normal.

The hair needs to be trimmed before waxing, but clients normally do this themselves, unless it's a very regular client I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

BinksToEnlightenment Fri 26-Apr-13 20:43:13

So people shave their armpits for that childlike underarm aesthetic?

CarpeVinum Fri 26-Apr-13 20:39:11

why any woman wants to look like a child

I hate to break it to you, but the chances are a bald fanny is in your future like it or lump it.

It all falls out after a certain age. grin

JeanPaget Fri 26-Apr-13 20:28:57

That all sounds pretty standard to me to be honest. I think 'reporting' your therapist because your Brazillian hurt is going to make you look a bit mental...

appletarts Fri 26-Apr-13 20:23:06

I can't imagine expecting anyone in the entire universe to pull the pubes off my fanny lips, no matter how much money I paid them. What a vile job for that woman and I don't understand why any woman wants to look like a child, think it creepy actually. I'd feel violated if this had happened to me!!! I think I must be very old fashioned (think 70's triangle).

BiteTheTopsOffIcedGems Fri 26-Apr-13 20:05:12

A bad wax is so painful. I had one once and it caused swelling. I was going to the cinema that night on a date and I thought I would have to book an extra seat just for my minge.

I have hot wax Brazilian and don't find it painful at all. Your therapist sounds inexperienced and unprofessional.

ygritte Fri 26-Apr-13 19:54:19

That was not meant to be a grin but a shock

ygritte Fri 26-Apr-13 19:53:35

Upwards doesn't sound quite right. If the skin is taught, you pull left,right etc. and very close to the skin but not fully upwards grin ....and longer hair is way more difficult to deal with properly. Maybe try doing it yourself at home on less sensitive bits to see the difference.
It's all very hands on though, maybe you should muster up the courage for another in a different place in a few weeks to compare.

It sounds fairly normal to me.

happyfreeconfused Fri 26-Apr-13 19:46:20

Yes it kills! When I read your post, I too thought that sounds like par for the course.

Coffee1Sugar Fri 26-Apr-13 17:53:46

I go for monthly hollywoods and dont trim beforehand coz it never really gets long but I regularly have to stretch the skin taut and always have hot wax rather than regular which makes such a difference.

SantanaLopez Fri 26-Apr-13 17:27:59

Californian is a wider Brazilian.

Sounds bad but not outrageous.

Its never going to be a fun experience, but i agree, the lycon (sp?) waxing with oil is much more 'comfortable' than regular waxing with strips. Definitely.

My salon offers California waxes - think they are just different sizes of strips to Brazilian etc?! Never heard of playboy!

Waxing is never comfortable or pain free and anybody know expects otherwise is mad!

BinksToEnlightenment Fri 26-Apr-13 15:27:13

Playboy leaves a thinner strip than a Brazilian. Never heard of a California!

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 26-Apr-13 15:20:53

I just had a look at the lycon stuff - there is a local salon near me which does a Brazilian, Californian, Hollywood and Playboy bikini wax. I think I know what Brazilian and Hollywood means, but what the hell is a Californian or a Playboy fgs?

It sounds too painful for me. If you want the bare look why not try just shoving a load of veet on the area (I have done that a couple of times, it works well).

BinksToEnlightenment Fri 26-Apr-13 15:15:29

I've just come back from a full Hollywood wax. This is pretty much in line with my experience. It's a brutal, painful process! And yes, I am required to do my bit with the stretching.

There's just no nice way of having all your downstair hair ripped out, unfortunately.

i get a hollywood each time! honestly the lycon is so much easier than strips!

amessagetoyouYoni Fri 26-Apr-13 13:40:08

Had a Brazilian once and was utterly traumatised by the whole experience!

i would second finding a salon that does lycon waxing - nothing like the strips!

you also get much slower regrowth so its better value.

doesnt sound like you had a good wax so i'd complain

I did my bikini line last year before holiday (not a Brazilian though, not that hard-core) shock

I use hot wax and cotton strips, small area at a time, deft whisk and Bob's Your Uncle.

I'd sooner contort and dislocate myself than have someone else do this for me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now