What do you think of Birkenstocks?

(85 Posts)
EuroShopperEnergyDrink Wed 24-Apr-13 18:18:02

Thinking of buying these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-Birkenstock-Madrid-Patent-Sandals/dp/B00CAQZRXC/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1366823750&sr=8-27&keywords=birkenstock+size+6

or are they completely and utterly grim?

GraduallyGoingInsane Thu 25-Apr-13 18:13:43

Grim! I hate them with a passion! My beloved Mother and I have a deal that if either of us purchase a pair, the other is allowed to hit them repeatedly over the head until they come to their senses.

They look like orthopaedic shoes, they aren't comfy (I tried a pair on just to see what the fuss is about) and when friends come over and kick them off in my house, they smell of wet dog.

Bleeugh.

and now I shall run away as I have voiced the unpopular opinion

foxysocks Thu 25-Apr-13 18:16:58

I absolutely hate them. i bought a pair in that post-baby fug of fashion wilderness after my first child was born, they ripped my feet to shreds AND looked awful. hideous shoes.

Poodlehorse Thu 25-Apr-13 18:38:48

I love my Gizehs as they stay firmly put on your feet, I don't buy them very often though as I hate the wearing in stage. They need to be falling apart for me to trade them in. I have Mocha clogs on today and they are 8 years old and I could walk forever in them. I know they aren't the prettiest of things but I am at that time when comfort is starting to overtake all things. Madrids I walk out of a bit.

carrie74 Thu 25-Apr-13 18:39:26

I hate the Madrids, but really like the Mayari and the Gizeh. I threw my white Mayari In The washing machine last summer, and they're still going strong.

thoughtsbecomethings Thu 25-Apr-13 19:30:46

Love them wear them all summer long wink

fridgepants Thu 25-Apr-13 21:40:15

I have size 9 feet, and I can't wear anything with a thong between the toes as I have a pronounced gap. I heart mine.

JaxTellerIsAllMine Thu 25-Apr-13 21:46:27

cant wear the gizeh they make my feet 'fart' when I walk. I have a brand new pink pair that I wore about 3 times, sent them to charity shop!

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 25-Apr-13 21:54:43

Don't like em. Bought a pair last year and find them hard and flappy. Bought a great pair of croc sandals in US they are super comfyso the Birkies are going to the charity shop/bin

Love them. Madrids and gizeh. Bought a new pair of silver madrids in Tk maxx the other day.

My mum hates them on me.

I don't think I've seen the clogs - might have to investigate.

EleanorFarjeon Thu 25-Apr-13 22:10:17

I know they're fugly, but I have about 5 pairs of Gizehs and they are just THE most comfortable things in the world.

I can't wear flip flops like Havaianas for more than 30 minutes as they're too flat and they make my feet ache.

I was on hols over Easter in hot place and walked miles and miles in my Gizehs.

LynetteScavo Thu 25-Apr-13 22:14:33

I can't wear that style, but I love my thong ones. I shall be getting a new pair this year.

Not grim at all.[[ http://www.footshopping.com/gizeh-plum-patent/mid_36630.html?suchbegriff=743551 Very nice in fact]]

LynetteScavo Thu 25-Apr-13 22:14:45

I LOVE my Birkenstocks and never wear anything other than Gizeh ones in the summer. I have a lime green patent pair left over from last summer, a red patent pair which I bought in the sale at the end of last summer so ready for this summer and have just ordered a non-patent brown/gold coloured pair.
I just love them and have worn them every summer for the past 6 years. No other sandal will do!

WishIdbeenatigermum Thu 25-Apr-13 22:19:41

I love them and having gone shock at 2ndcoming's 30 pairs am nowblush reading and remembering how many I've had over the years.
Are they work wearable though? I travel by tube and have a public sectory non sales job. If not any recommendations? I love having my heals free and have nice feet.

MacaYoniAndCheese Thu 25-Apr-13 22:22:57

I adore them. I have the Madrids in black patent, blue and silver. Also have the Gizeh thong in a pearly pink colour but the Madrids are my favourites. They are so comfortable, last forever and I like how they look with shorts, capris etc.

reelingintheyears Thu 25-Apr-13 22:30:43
reelingintheyears Thu 25-Apr-13 22:32:30
cocolepew Fri 26-Apr-13 08:16:52

A tip for breaking them in is to smear them with Vaseline, it softens everything but darkens the footbed too.

valiumredhead Fri 26-Apr-13 08:28:14

I have loads of pairs but not in that style OP as they don't stay on my feet.

JulesJules Wed 01-May-13 14:00:21

I absolutely love them and always have a few pairs on the go. Lots of great colours on Amazon, I usually have a white pair and a couple of coloured pairs. Purple patent at the moment! I have wide feet with high arches and plantar fasciitis and they give great support.

I can't get on with Gizeh sandals because of the toe post.

Panzee Wed 01-May-13 14:04:46

They look like they smell. grin

valiumredhead Wed 01-May-13 14:06:57

No they don't at all because the base is cork.

Panzee Wed 01-May-13 14:09:23

I don't actually smell them. grin It's the cork that makes them look manky.

Plathism Wed 01-May-13 14:17:00

Aesthetically I think they're hideous. Definitely a Marmite thing!

freddiefrog Wed 01-May-13 14:43:17

Unlike them for summer in theory, but the moulding in them never fit the shape of my feet so they hurt like buggery

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now