What do you think of Birkenstocks?

(85 Posts)
EuroShopperEnergyDrink Wed 24-Apr-13 18:18:02

Thinking of buying these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-Birkenstock-Madrid-Patent-Sandals/dp/B00CAQZRXC/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1366823750&sr=8-27&keywords=birkenstock+size+6

or are they completely and utterly grim?

cocolepew Wed 24-Apr-13 19:18:11

I love them, have a few pairs of Madrid. I can't wear toe posts.
You can get a wider fit so take care on which ones you buy.

Imsosorryalan Wed 24-Apr-13 21:07:35

How long do your berkies last? I've only got one pair which I love but they only seem to last a summer but then I do wear them constantlygrin

CognitiveOverload Wed 24-Apr-13 21:09:15

Have to say I'm really not a fan.

sallysourire Wed 24-Apr-13 21:16:59

ScienceRocks I agree, no other sandal compares if you are a Birkenstock lover.

I have a pair as slippers I wear all year round and a couple of pairs I live in during the summer.

mejon Wed 24-Apr-13 21:17:37

I can't wear the Madrids but I have several pairs of ones with two or more straps on in various colours and designs. My oldest and comfiest pair somehow went mouldy under my chest of drawers over the winter so I may have to chuck them. Wish they did the patent in other styles though.

Selks Wed 24-Apr-13 21:21:23

What do I think of Birkenstocks? I think thank heavens for them, basically.

I like the mayari style - the toe loop looks great under trousers or jeans and they are extremely comfortable (and unlike some birkenstock styles they stay on well).

DewDr0p Wed 24-Apr-13 21:24:39

I've got some floral ones in the same style as the ones you linked to OP. I love them.

I did size down though as they were massive.

wreckitralph Thu 25-Apr-13 03:42:11

I think B's only look grim if the rest of your outfit looks grim. Otherwise they can be a really nice splash of colour. Saying that though, I just bought a natural brown shade, T bar sandal. Actually my favorite way to wear B's is to buy the covered front/ mule ones and wear them with interesting socks and wear gym in winter with a pair of jeans and a really nice jumper. Keeps your feet toasty warm and really comfy.

wreckitralph Thu 25-Apr-13 03:43:10

Wear them, not gym. Bloody iPhone.

Labootin Thu 25-Apr-13 05:13:07

Birkies with socks.. And interesting ones at that..
Oh my sweet baby Jesus

snoworneahva Thu 25-Apr-13 05:55:56

Great for my foot arch problems but the range has been downgraded to synthetic uppers which give me blisters on my very fragile skin, even the foot beds are often synthetic - I'd really like a new pair but I need leather.

FrancesFarmer Thu 25-Apr-13 09:16:03

I have them in narrow size. They're the best - so comfortable.

JennySense Thu 25-Apr-13 10:04:57

I bout the exact pair in silver this week - i've got horrible wide feet and they at least fit!

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 25-Apr-13 10:20:43

I have a few pairs of Gizehs. I wear them all the time (and I live in a hot country).

They last well if you don't get them soaking wet. If you do get them wet then dry them slowly so that the cork doesn't crack.

They're meant to be a bit long so that your feet have room to move in them. I'm usually a 38 but I buy a 39 in Birkenstocks.

Yep, bargain Birks in TKMaxx. Also on Amazon.

Kaekae Thu 25-Apr-13 10:28:34

I love them, I have a few pairs.

piprabbit Thu 25-Apr-13 10:37:26

I have Madrids in silver and a sort of bronze. I'm wearing my clogs (cream with a sort of brown compass/maps pattern) today.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 25-Apr-13 11:11:53

I love them! I buy a new white pair of Madrids every spring.

YY to breaking them in around the house.

Does anyone know how you can get the suede-y footbed replaced? That's the only reason I have to replace mine!

I have a pair of the Mayari style (bronze colour), which I adore. They are so comfy, and look OK I think. I'm considering getting the same again in a brighter colour.

If the rest of your outfit looks together, Birkies look great!

Maiakins Thu 25-Apr-13 11:34:59

Not a fan anymore ... wore mine to death in 2004-5. Reminds me too much of coin belts, Sienna Millar and boho chic!

BornToFolk Thu 25-Apr-13 11:39:45

I love my Madrids! I have a couple of pairs that are a few years old now and starting to show it so I'll have to get a new pair (or two...) for summer. They are so comfy once they get broken in and they last so well. I wreck cheaper sandals in a month or so!

My feet are size 8 and wide and I wear a size 40. I love that they are made for wide feet.

Birkenstock.co.uk have a sale at the moment. Not as cheap as I've seen in TK Maxx but they have some lovely colours. Gorgeous kids ones too, how cute are these?

woozlebear Thu 25-Apr-13 11:39:53

To people talking about them wearing out and breaking new pairs in...you can send them back to be repaired. Getting them resoled is much nicer than getting a new pair as the inside is still all comfy and moulded to your foot. You can get any bit replaced though, until you gradually end up with a whole new sandal.

kittykarate Thu 25-Apr-13 11:49:45

I live in Birkenstocks over summer as my feet are terrible. I prefer the styles with straps that go over the arch of my foot such as Gizeh, Florida or Pisa. I find Madrid quite hard to walk in. Costco usually do Gizeh and Madrid during spring for a good price.

I think there are definitely Birkenstock shaped feet though - my mam can't wear them as the support bits just don't line up for her.

Eskino Thu 25-Apr-13 11:56:22

Birkenstocks make my feet trump sad

AnythingNotEverything Thu 25-Apr-13 17:42:36

Woozle - that's really interesting. I basically want to keep the strap bit and replace the bit you actually stand on. Even the sole would keep another year or so.

Will check their website. Ta!

I lived in them till I discovered fitflops. Might dig them out though. I fancy a change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now