Nail strengthener - best tips?

(29 Posts)
gonerogue Wed 24-Apr-13 09:33:00

Hi,

I have bitten my nails forever and have in the last few months stopped doing it. However, once my nails get to a certain length they just snap at the slightest provocation. I have no idea how to make them stronger, any advice?

TIA

janmoomoo Wed 24-Apr-13 09:55:08

Mine are rubbish too. I find they just need loads of moisture so the last two months I have been rubbing anything I can find into them at every opportunity, and they have improved massively. I have got a handcream with something in it for nails, nails inc vitamin E oil pen, but also use almond oil, olive oil, any handcream etc. Also I have stopped filing and only use clippers.

gonerogue Wed 24-Apr-13 11:06:03

I use almond oil for my cuticles so goes on my nails, will just double the amount f applications so. And will gt handcream, always mean to but never remember, thanks

valiumredhead Wed 24-Apr-13 13:36:32

You need Mavala - wonderful stuff and you only use it once a week, it has transformed my nails!

gonerogue Wed 24-Apr-13 15:02:12

Oh cool, thanks Valium. I'll pick that up so. Cherrs

hollyisalovelyname Wed 24-Apr-13 17:28:51

Do not , under any circumstances use Dr. Lewin's it destroyed my nails hmm

valiumredhead Wed 24-Apr-13 17:38:29

Make sure you read the instructions - it's very strong stuff!

SnapesOnAPlane Wed 24-Apr-13 17:40:03

I use leftover lipbalm (vaseline and carmex) on my nails and nail beds. Not leftover from the tin, just from my lips!
Does the trick, but mine aren't terribly brittle to start with, but it does improve the quality a good bit.

bunnymother Wed 24-Apr-13 17:54:42

I must say, after suffering from the most flakey, breaky scrappy nails for years, and trying lots of products (made no difference), that Mavala Scientifique has made all the difference. They hardly break at all, and when they bend back, they don't snap, they just carry on. I am hugely impressed. Especially since its not expensive and once you paint it on, it dries almost instantly and that's your job done. Perfect for a stingy, lazy person like me.

Jemster Wed 24-Apr-13 19:55:39

Where did you get the mavala from bunny?

RipMacWinkle Wed 24-Apr-13 20:01:06

I wonder if I'm using that stuff wrong. I bought it after a rec on here and I didn't notice the blindest bit of difference.

Is there a secret to using it?

RipMacWinkle Wed 24-Apr-13 20:01:56

Sorry, to clarify, I mean the Mavala

bunnymother Wed 24-Apr-13 20:15:19

I bought the Mavala from Amazon, have applied it about twice a week. About a month later I noticed that I actually needed to file my nails shorter. Normally they just peel and snap. About to do another coat...

bunnymother Wed 24-Apr-13 20:16:45

Done. And it's dry already.

FreshLeticia Wed 24-Apr-13 20:40:28

Yes Mavala, I got it after a thread on here. I put it on then varnish and then Mavaladry topcoat and my nails are good for days on end.

gonerogue Wed 24-Apr-13 20:40:50

Thanks a million for that bunny will get some off Amazon ASAP and hopefully have fabulous nails really soon.

snapes that's interesting, will ferret out the 6 million tubs of balm in my drawer and try it too.

Just booked a pedicure to tackle my feet as well, get the summer ready.

RipMacWinkle Wed 24-Apr-13 20:49:56

Did anyone use it specifically to help peeling nails or just to help strengthen them in general?

bunnymother Wed 24-Apr-13 20:52:58

Both - my nails both peel and break off at the sides. They are pretty dire. Varnish wasn't making a difference, but Mavala has. I don't put anything else on my nails. I bought the 2ml Mavala from Amazon a d it's £4.50 plus £1.50 postage, approx. Pretty good value, I think, given the difference it's made to my nails. Might not solve everyone's nail problems, though.

RipMacWinkle Wed 24-Apr-13 22:05:31

Thanks bunnymother. And sorry to derail a bit there OP.

I'll keep going with the Mavala and see how I get on.

Waferthinmint Thu 25-Apr-13 10:09:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lozislovely Thu 25-Apr-13 21:03:59

Nail envy didn't work for me sad well it did in that it made my nails so hard but then they just literally snapped as they had no flexibility. Currently trying Flexitol nail cream and so far so good.

EuroShaggleton Thu 25-Apr-13 21:08:31

Pregnancare conception vits. No idea which ingredient it is but my nails have been so much stronger since I have been taking them.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 25-Apr-13 22:18:08

Opi didn't work for me either. I shall try Mavala.

valiumredhead Fri 26-Apr-13 08:24:54

Rip it stopped my nails splitting. I just applied twice a week to the ends of the nails and used tons of cuticle oil.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 03-May-13 07:24:11

I bought the Mavala, so here's hoping
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now