Home hair dye, I have the answer...

(19 Posts)
WildThongIWannaKnowForSure Sun 21-Apr-13 15:11:40

For you, if you have very greying light to medium brown hair...
Purely in the name of research I am not grey at all oh no I have tested out loads of brands and shades in the past year.

SwedishEdith Sun 21-Apr-13 15:18:59

And???

WildThongIWannaKnowForSure Sun 21-Apr-13 15:35:37

Sorry blush, thought I'd put it in.

For me the best one has been Loreal Sublime Mousse in Pure very light brown.

I'm at the stage of having to dye every 6 - 8 weeks, you name it I've tried it, different shades from dark blondes to medium browns, creams, mousses, organic, herbal etc.

JennySense Sun 21-Apr-13 15:42:12

I'm using the John Freida mousse at the mo - did you try this? I am a mousse convert - much easier to use
x

SwedishEdith Sun 21-Apr-13 15:44:43

Is it a permanent one? I stick to semis and need to dye every 2 to 3 weeks but usually leave it for longer as cba

Another vote for the John Frieda foam.

WildThongIWannaKnowForSure Sun 21-Apr-13 15:53:29

Hi, yes also tried the Frieda one, totally agree that mousses are the best.
swedish yes it's a permanent. I find that shade enhances the still brown hair and the greys/whites which are quite resistant to dye go a lighter brown/dark blonde so ends up looking highlighted iyswim?

Olia was far and away the worst btw

FoofFighter Sun 21-Apr-13 15:54:49

John Freida mousse was really easy to use and covered very well, but did anyone else find the colour comes out far darker than it should with them?

purplewithred Sun 21-Apr-13 15:54:50

Pah! I hate the foams, feel as if they are dripping down the back of my neck. L'Oreal Excellence for me every time.

WildThongIWannaKnowForSure Sun 21-Apr-13 16:02:47

The Sublime doesn't drip, and it says on the packet that if you are swithering between 2 shades to choose the lighter.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sun 21-Apr-13 16:14:17

I have the John Frieda mousse to try (nervous!)

L'oreal I avoid because of how they test on animals.

To those who have done a dark blonde John Frieda colour, may I know your results? My hair is a manky dirty blonde with platinum streaks unless I dye it. So I choose dark blonde over weird manky streaks! grin

Can I trust Frieda? L'oreal used to be my safeguard.

LeoandBoosmum Sun 21-Apr-13 16:44:31

My mum swears by John Frieda (don't know if it's a mousse, comes in a box...about ten quid in Boots though you can sometimes get it on offer there and in other supermarkets). Her hair dresser said it looks like professional colour and the condition has improved. I don't use any hair dye, never have, so can't say personally.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sun 21-Apr-13 16:52:35

Ooh, thanks Leo, that helps a lot! My hair condition is pretty perfect (smug) so I was fretting the new dye would spoil my hair.

Cheers for the reference/honesty!

Chipstick10 Sun 21-Apr-13 18:57:51

Watching this thread with interest. I have a washed out lightish brown haired colour. It was semi perm medium brown and this is the faded colour I am left with. As rich as the med brown colour was on me, it's also a bit ageing and harsh. I use nice and easy and am interested in other light brown brands. I'm scared it will go a bit red though.

kingbeat23 Sun 21-Apr-13 23:43:16

I use nice and easy every 6 - 8 weeks. Section it up and do the roots for 20 then the rest of the bottle for another 20.

There is one bastard stray hair that won't take whatever I do but I'd love to blonde highlights again but you have to go to a salon for that and I have no money for it.

Thankfully the nice and easy just lightens the grey/white bits a little than the rest and it looks like lowlights!!!!

I use natural golden brown about 2 shades lighter than normal.

thenightsky Sun 21-Apr-13 23:46:55

king is that the permanent or the semi (24 washes)?

kingbeat23 Mon 22-Apr-13 00:49:04

Hmmm have no idea. It has the tube with the conditioner in for 6 washes and is in a white box. I'm thinking semi. Which is good coz I change my mind on hair colour more than the wind blows!

practicality Mon 22-Apr-13 09:37:08

I have used the new Loreal reusable one and it was rubbish. It just washed off the grey around my temples but went really dark on the ends so I ended up with root glow.

Nice.

None of the colours seem to take on my White temples any more unless I bleach them first

pain in the arse

HaveAGoodDay Tue 23-Apr-13 12:01:31

Yep, olia is rubbish, more of less washed out within a few washes, however, over the ladt few times that I have done a home colour, the results haven't been that great & I think its because im just not that good at doing them anymore!

As a treat I had my hair done at the hairdressers earlier in the year & it was brill, just the right colour, my roots matched the rest of my hair so no root glow & obviously perfect application. A couple of weeks ago I tried olia, thinking I'd save some money, well my roots sre still showing & the colour has washed out!

Back to salon for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now