Can anyone recommend something to get rid of hyperpigmentation?

(12 Posts)
Sunflower6 Sun 21-Apr-13 09:35:36

Can anyone recommend something to get rid of hyperpigmentation? I have tried the Clinique stuff and that didn't work. I have seen a dermatologist and their stuff helped a bit but you can only use it for 3 months.

Eliza22 Sun 21-Apr-13 14:30:48

Watching smile

Househunter Sun 21-Apr-13 14:32:02

I got azalaic acid which did the trick but you may have has this already if it was prescribed by the dermatologist.

Bowlersarm Sun 21-Apr-13 14:39:16

Watching as well.

I have been using Clarins Vital Light range (the serum plus day cream) plus Decleor Brightening Serum. Expensive but last a long time. I would say that it has faded the brown pigmentation but hasn't illiminated it.

I would love to be able get rid of it, so hopefully someone will come along and tell us how!

FrugalFashionista Sun 21-Apr-13 14:53:17

Quite a few acids help - even plain simple salicylic acid (=Aspirin or salicylates in skincare products) and ascorbic acid (=Vit C). Dermatologists can also do laser treatments.

Getting rid of the hyperpigmentation is possible and it can fade with time too, but hyperpigmentation tends to recur really easily - so use high-SPF sunblock and hats, coverups etc unless you want to have it right back. Lots of the treatment creams are also sun-sensitizers, so it might be a good idea to wait until fall before you start your fading regime.

I'm dealing with recurring melasma right now. Was able to fade it completely, but was a bit lax about sun protection last year and here we go again...

Charliefox Sun 21-Apr-13 15:46:24

Nothing off the shelf helps. You need hardcore stuff. Obagi works but it really is hardcore and you look like shit for weeks.

FarleyD Sun 21-Apr-13 18:40:09

Sunflower6 - I started a thread the other day about dark circles under my eyes, and a lovely poster called Daffyboobface mentioned she'd just got rid of her hyperpigmentation after years. Hope she won't mind me naming her. But perhaps pm her or come onto that thread and see if she comes back with some answers for you.

FarleyD Sun 21-Apr-13 18:41:13

Oh! Just seen you on there! Sorry. smile

Walnutcakelover Sun 21-Apr-13 20:04:23

Ooo please come back and tell us daffyboo. smile.

EldonAve Sun 21-Apr-13 20:47:41

I think the Organic Pharmacy has some good stuff but can't remember what now - friend was using it

scaevola Sun 21-Apr-13 21:10:31

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now