Calling all HOC winters.....

(1000 Posts)
QueenCadbury Sun 21-Apr-13 09:21:05

So, I had my colours done yesterday and I am now a sprinter winter. My best colours being royal blue, electric blue, damson, lagoon blue and light emerald.

Of course a shopping trip is now required grin so I'm just after any inspiration by what you fellow winters have recently bought...

bertandmarble Tue 22-Oct-13 20:57:20

Hi easy peeler. I usually wear bright red with Navy and red or pink with black.

I think a dark lipstick would look good with deep green and damson, like Chanel Rouge Noir ( every brand does a version)

ElizabethBathory Tue 22-Oct-13 21:51:41

MrsKitty nyx lipsticks are brilliant if you're after cheap ones. I have Louisiana (bright pink) and Bloody Mary (matte pinky red) which work v well on me as a sultry winter. Loads of the reds look great, have a look at swatches online.

mrskittyfantistico Tue 22-Oct-13 22:12:35

Ooooh, thank you very much Elizabeth. I'll have a little look through.

QueenCadbury Wed 23-Oct-13 13:06:29

easy if you're not used to wearing eyeshadow then do you need to start now? Lipstick wise, I tend to wear pink most of the time as it suits me better than red but I do quite like red if I'm wering red or black.

easypeeler Wed 23-Oct-13 21:09:22

Good point QC I don't really need to at the moment!

Thanks for the lipstick recommendations - you too bert

thanks

KosherBacon Thu 24-Oct-13 09:37:52

I've got a £7 revlon voucher so am going to buy more lip butters. Already have raspberry pie and berry smoothie so not sure what else to get.

NigellasGhost Thu 24-Oct-13 10:09:01

easy I'm your age and I have NEVER got on with eyeshadow and really don't want to start now - and I felt vindicated when on my style day the consultant said that was fine due to the shape of my eyes. I always envy people with beautiful eyeshadow but somehow it just doesn't work on me. However, I've recently got to grips with black liquid eyeliner on the upper lid and that works really well for me.

ElizabethBathory Thu 24-Oct-13 10:38:40

Another one here who never bothers with eye shadow - it looks amazing on other people, but I just can't do it. I have quite small, shallow eyelids so there's no point. Eyeliner and mascara are all you need! Or just mascara. Or nothing! I always think people with big eyes don't really need eye makeup, especially if they're wearing colours that suit them (e.g. my mum has huge ice blue eyes and only wears a light coat of mascara, and always lipstick envy).

KosherBacon Thu 24-Oct-13 20:26:15

Has anybody ordered from Lands End before? They seem to have some nice wool winter coats in good winter colours. So many winter coats seem to be all polyester these days with no warmth at all.

I like this one in navy

And I like this one in raspberry and blackberry

Shame the neckline is iffy on this one as I like the regent and juniper green in it

Another thread had this code- Code is FF1325 for 25% off. I do NOT need to buy a coat. Repeat until beleeved

easypeeler Fri 25-Oct-13 18:55:04

Had a splurge today - first time shopping after getting my colours done smile

Charcoal cardi www.lauraashley.com/coats+jackets/boiled-lambswool-cable-sleeve-cardigan/invt/cd106?colour=charcoal

Cobalt V www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-v-neck-cashmere-jumper/p711608?colour=Cobalt

Also picked up the plum version of the v but it's much more damson IRL

KosherBacon Tue 29-Oct-13 07:36:06

I'd be interested to know who got a £10 Boden voucher and what did you buy with it? I need an a line skirt (still!) and a day dress but am struggling to find winter colours. I've looked at the accessories and am uninspired. I suppose it's telling me I don't NEED anything but....

SunnyUpNorth Wed 30-Oct-13 08:34:20

Hi all,
I bought these in Matalan yesterday in a deep burgundy colour. Think that is a good winter colour?!
I can't see the burgundy on the website, but they are really nice and only £14!!!

Not sure if I am going to keep them only because I am not actually sure what shoes I would wear with them and because its a colour I still haven't got my head around wearing much. But a good Winter bargain I thought it was worth sharing.

KosherBacon Fri 01-Nov-13 09:24:53

Hello my fellow winters, how are you all getting on? Its gone quiet.

peasypeeler Fri 01-Nov-13 09:49:04

I'm struggling with being a sultry winter and having to wear loud-shouty lipsticks that don't suit my personality sad The HoC lipsticks are heavily pigmented (normally a good thing) but in carmine red, damson and burgundy wine shimmer are just too loud.

I liked being a muted.wallflower autumn better confused

KosherBacon Fri 01-Nov-13 10:17:51

Peasypeeler- have you tried sheerer glosses that still have the colours in them? They might suit you better than heavily pigmented lipsticks. As for an everyday rosy red, I swear by Lipstick Queen Medieval. Pricey, but gives great colour whilst still being sheer.

peasypeeler Fri 01-Nov-13 11:37:19

Good idea - I think I'll have to chuck these out KB I'm scaring my DH shock

Think I'll go back to a balm instead and just look washed-out.

Feeling really down about my make up at the moment. Happy with my foundation, powder and mascara but buying up all sorts of crap to pigeon-hole myself into a Winter palette and feeling miserable and guilty at the expense sad

KosherBacon Fri 01-Nov-13 13:14:28

I take some of it with a pinch of taste. Whilst I am obviously a winter, I don't have the classic cool colouring, so a lot of the makeup colours HoC recommend just jar on me. Are you like me, more neutral toned rather than cool? I am a pale olive tone. I find that neutral colours that are neither cool nor warm suit me the best. I'd leave your makeup alone and stop trying to force yourself to like something you don't.

QueenCadbury Fri 01-Nov-13 13:32:27

peasy don't chuck them away yet as you may get used to them.. Have you tried just dabbing it on your lips and then putting balm/Vaseline on top to give a sheer colour.

No new purchases to report here. Apart from the elusive lagoon blue or emerald cardi which I doubt I will ever find I've realised that I have all I need. Famous last words though grin

peasypeeler Fri 01-Nov-13 13:43:59

KB I think I'm the same colouring as you. I have very dark eyes, dark brown hair (darkened after consult, it was a bit golden brown) and paleish skin that is olive based.

I keep trying to pick blue-based tones and look look like crap sad

Will try that QC thanks

MissScatterbrain Fri 01-Nov-13 17:32:23

Finally broke my shopping ban and bought a deep royal purple cardigan from TU - 25% off til Monday. The silver buttons are naff though so have ordered some lovely dark mother of pearl type buttons from ebay.

I think this is exactly what I needed to fill in the gap in my wardrobe as it will help inject a bit of life in it and pull together some of my outfits a bit more.

LCHammer Sat 02-Nov-13 23:00:03

Hi all. I haven't been in here in ages. I'm one month into my new job and have less time. OTOH I got paid again for the first time in 3 months, I've lost some weight and keeping it off, so I'm ready to do some shopping again.

I bought a grey skirt and a grey top and thinking of brightening them up with fuschia or royal blue. I love bright lipsticks. I saw a very good colour on someone and asked her what it was: Estée Lauder in Rasberry. I even tried it on my hand but it was more sheer or glossy than I expected so didn't get it. Now I regret it smile

QueenCadbury Mon 04-Nov-13 10:58:09

Ladies I need you expert eyes. I've got birthday money and want to buy a bag, preferably grey and I adore the look of longchamp bags. However they have nothing current in grey but they have the colour called mastic. Do you think it's a good match for mole???

MissScatterbrain Mon 04-Nov-13 12:06:46

Have you seen it in RL? On screen it looks like a dove grey with possibly a hint of beige in it.

If I am unsure about a colour being a winter colour, I put it next to other winter colours to see if it tones with these.

QueenCadbury Mon 04-Nov-13 12:23:40

missscatter no, haven't seen it irl and not sure anywhere in bristol stocks it although will have a look in HN and HOF tomorrow. I've put all my other swatches with it but I'm still not sure. Which means it's probably not right. Although it is a good match for my clarks boots which tone really well with the rest of my colours. Looking at delivery/returns everywhere for the longchamp bags though I think it'll be too much of an expensive mistake. Don't want to be wasting my money on postage grin.

The sensible thing to do is wait but the money's burning a hole in my pocket ( and I've only had it since Saturday night! )!

GingerLemonTea Mon 04-Nov-13 13:40:05

Hi,
Got my colours done about 2 months ago. I'm a sprinter winter. It's stopped me buying anything!
I have quite a few of the right colours already. I now know what not to buy but am at a loss of what to add to wardrobe. In 2 months I have bought a cheap purple Tshirt.
Not a typical winter as blonde & blue eyed.
Reading the thread for inspiration.

This thread is not accepting new messages.