Calling all HOC winters.....

(1000 Posts)
QueenCadbury Sun 21-Apr-13 09:21:05

So, I had my colours done yesterday and I am now a sprinter winter. My best colours being royal blue, electric blue, damson, lagoon blue and light emerald.

Of course a shopping trip is now required grin so I'm just after any inspiration by what you fellow winters have recently bought...

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 02-Sep-13 15:23:20

aftermay - is it this coat?

If so, the colour looks like a summer pink but I could be wrong as I haven't seen it in real life. Did it match one of the pinks in your swatch wallet?

KosherBacon Mon 02-Sep-13 15:25:07

It was me! Thanks for the tips madabouthotchoc!

aftermay Mon 02-Sep-13 15:48:56

MAHC - not that coat. It's a deep pink on Hobbs outlet (so its reduced as well), called Isla. Someone mentioned on the thread about pink coat for winters that she's a HOC winter and the pink suits. I'll see it when it arrives. I've never bought anything so expensive online before (apart from rugs, holidays etc). I'm on the phone (in McD, sshh) and I can't link.

Loopytiles Mon 02-Sep-13 15:50:23

Hobbs has a nice ice-pale-pink, plain thin long-sleeve top in the sale at House of Fraser.

aftermay Mon 02-Sep-13 15:52:04

I think the OPI are supposed to be quite good. One of my friends is a beautician and I know she likes them. I don't get in with it, though. Or with Barry M. In fact, the nail polish I put on this morning? One is already chipped. So it might be me.

aftermay Mon 02-Sep-13 15:55:10

I'm near a HOF just now but it's too small to have Hobbs in it. I might drag the girls back to check it out. One is happy with the new One Direction perfume so it should be doable.

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 02-Sep-13 17:24:50

aftermay - that one? and it is a lovely raspberry colour, perfect for a winter if its one of your best colours smile

aftermay Mon 02-Sep-13 17:43:57

Yes!! I have ** at 100% with all pinks, purples, greys so if it's the right shade it should be good! I'll have to be creative with the bottom half as it looks like a 3\4 coat so I don't want to much clashing, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Kezztrel Mon 02-Sep-13 18:17:18

That's a great coat. Would love something similar in red.

OPI and Essie are the longest lasting on me, but it just depends on your nails I think. I have mine short, no longer than my finger tips, so that helps with chipping, and use Nails inc Albert bridge topcoat. They last all week then. I get OPI on Amazon for around £7 normally.

FaddyPeony Mon 02-Sep-13 18:36:04

Hi everyone, just marking my place. I'm fairly sure I'm a Winter but haven't had this confirmed as I'm not living in the UK and I don't think 'colours' is really a thing that fashion-liking young people do where I am...

I am mostly buying jumpers this A/W. I think I'm okay for everything else - all I seem to want to wear is jumpers! I did another big cull recently and got rid of the last bits of Primark shite in my wardrobe.
Most recent purchases: Whistles blue lace insert and Whistles Annie sparkle crew in navy and silver. Love them both. They're overpriced for the materials and warm they are not -- but look really nice on and I think I'll still wear them loads.

They're still not that bright, though, are they?! I do look good in cool reds and pinks but can't quite find a jumper I like enough. Am tempted by the Whistles Annie sparkle in the green but will indulge only if some nice unexpected money comes my way smile

aftermay Mon 02-Sep-13 23:36:10

Kezz - There's a red cashmere mix funnel coat in Austin Reed (sale section), sizes 14 upwards though.

FaddyPeony - I like especially the second jumper you linked to and I'm intrigued by the sparkle as it doesn't show well on my phone.

Funny you should say the fashion conscious where you are don't do this colour business. TBH it's all a bit Tupperware-party sounding to me but I think there is a lot to it. The colours I was advised work best on me are the colours I used for years and years. I changed my style when I came to the UK. Maybe subconsciously trying to blend in, I don't know. But these colours, much as I like them, don't work as well as the ones I used to use. If that makes any sense smile

KosherBacon Tue 03-Sep-13 09:04:09
MrsRadicchio Tue 03-Sep-13 09:51:00

Hello, I'm excited to be able to join this thread! Had my colours done this weekend and am a winter, think I suit the darker colours in the winter palette.

I really bought into it on the day and bought 3 lipsticks. I love bright lipsticks on others but feel awkward wearing it myself. The consultant said to wear it everyday for 3 weeks to get used to it, so I am trying to do this with my most neutral colour but it does feel odd wearing bright lipstick when I am a SAHM and the most excitement I have planned today is waiting in for a delivery grin

Wardrobe wise I do have quite a few winter colours but the more muted and neutral ones so I will need to add some brights like fuschia and purple in.

I have culled a lot (one of my reasons for getting colours done was to pare down my wardrobe), and sent stuff to charity shop or doing a big ebay sell.

Stuff I don't want to get rid of but is in the wrong colours, I am going to dye. Have had successes with dylon dye in the past so will let you know how it goes.

Wanted to ask your views though, as I am confused about burgundy ...is it an winter colour? It is in my swatch but maybe a bit more plummy??

Would you say these cords are winter?

And I am thinking of this coat - too bubblegum?

Pure Collection seems to have quite a few winter colours - fuschia, indigos, reds.

Faddy lovely whistles tops. Love whistles stuff but getting so annoyed with their total disregard for natual fibres!!

MrsRadicchio Tue 03-Sep-13 09:51:41

Nice top Kosher

MadAboutHotChoc Tue 03-Sep-13 10:14:47

The cords look brownish to me. The pink is wrong - too summerish. You need to be looking for a ice pink if you want pale pink. Pure Collection link looks lovely!

Burgundy is a very hard colour to judge online (and RL) - I try to think of it as a very dark red (i.e with black added to it). Do you have damson in you swatch - think its a bit more plummy?

Kosher - that top is the same colour as my lobelia t-shirt - bet you look great in it!

aftermay Tue 03-Sep-13 10:21:53

KB - I hope you'll feel good today in that outfit. What colour is the scarf?

MrsR - welcome to the best colours smile I agree with MadChoc that the trousers are too browny and the blazer too straight a pink.

I have a burgundy Phase8 dress from this season and its probably as red/autumnal as I should go. Bought recently and it suits me so it's staying.

aftermay Tue 03-Sep-13 10:22:21

What is everyone doing for bags and boots?

MadAboutHotChoc Tue 03-Sep-13 10:28:55

Phase eight is great - I have a few of their tops and they often have great winter colours including this gorgeous emerald top - very forgiving and flattering I would think. They often have sales so look out for one.

MrsRadicchio Tue 03-Sep-13 10:45:57

Thanks for the advice, this is going to be great to curb my spending grin

I have damson in my swatch but also burgundy. I agree the cords just don't feel right, colourwise. Will have to dye them. I do have a burgundy skirt I am even more unsure of.

FaddyPeony Tue 03-Sep-13 10:53:08

Re. burgundy, I have a burgundy dress from Zara that I like and that I think suits me - like aftermay says it is kind of leaning towards autumn so I wouldn't be filling my wardrobe with that shade. But it does work.

aftermay if I lived in the UK I'd definitely be saving up to get my colours done! Not sure I'd trust a stylist here tbh.

MrsR I am loving all the culling I've done recently. I want to love everything in my wardrobe and look forward to wearing each piece and am nearly there smile Yes Whistles' fabrics are totally overpriced. There's 5%cashmere in the lace one but that doesn't mean it'll be warm, no matter how soft it is! However, I do have a brilliant Didrikson's coat and I feel like for that reason I can get away with thinner layers underneath.

oh and for those work from home days when I'm freezing and the heat is off...I got myself a bona fide Aran sweater for forty euro. 100% new wool, soft it ain't, smell a bit like a sheep it does, but the warmest thing I've ever put on me. Can't find a link online but it's this colour. That website is dire, the colour is much nicer in real life, a dark cold green.

MadAboutHotChoc Tue 03-Sep-13 11:31:56

With the skirt, as it is below your waist maybe you could wear your best winter colours at the top, black or navy tights & boots/shoes to minimise the impact?

On cold days in the house, I tend to layer up with heattech tops and a proper down gilet on top of it all - not very stylish but so practical!

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Tue 03-Sep-13 13:15:02

I'm still trying to work out if I am a winter or a summer, any guidance would be much appreciated. I suit bright lipsticks and find it makes my face look much more alive, and I have very pale pink toned skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. I seem to suit both bright and soft cool colours. Deep purply oxblood is one of my best colours, but I also suit soft blues and greens. Does anyone have any thoughts please? I'm hoping ill have the spare money to have it done at some stage but its not an option at the moment! If it helps, I'm a similar colouring to Amanda Seyfried.

MadAboutHotChoc Tue 03-Sep-13 13:55:44

Basically Spring is clear, bright and warm, Summer is soft, muted and cool, Autumn is warm and soft and Winter is clear, bold and cool. There are blues, greens, purples and reds etc in all seasons but its the tone/shade that is different.

From what you say, you are a mixture of all of these seasons? Not possible although you could be on the cusp of one, leaning towards another one. As for your colouring, there are blonde winters but they are rare - blondes are more likely to summers or springs.

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Tue 03-Sep-13 14:52:11

Thank you for that. Perhaps I will give up trying to guess! Certainly the high contrast with how pale I am suits me, that's partly why I feel I may be a winter, but then I may have got this all wrong...there are certainly some lovely clothes on this thread in colours that I love though so maybe it's wishful thinking...perhaps ignorance is bliss!

SunnyUpNorth Tue 03-Sep-13 15:31:41

Hi all,
I had a bit of a shopping day last week. I was on the quest for a wedding outfit so didn't have much time to browse day to day clothes. But all the shops seemed to have so much of our colours in especially cobalt blues and emerald greens.

Gap had loads of great stuff in their new collection. The merino crew neck jumpers and cardigans were really nice. I think the blue one is called Powerful blue (haha) and I had a bit of a eureka moment when I tried it on and my face changed before my eyes!

The lady said they have one of their 30% off days coming up so I'm going to wait for that before purchasing. They also had lovely navy chinos.

This thread is not accepting new messages.