Is it possible to have stylish short curly hair?

(16 Posts)
chanie44 Sat 20-Apr-13 21:09:19

I am a total convert to the curly girl methods.

It has totally changed my hair:
It's less fizzy
No triangle hair
Easier to manage

Once I eliminated the frizz, I realised my roots were flat (hence the triangle hair) now my hair goes down rather than out, I can have better cuts.

gostraighttojail Sat 20-Apr-13 20:24:02

How funny to discover this thread - I was thinking of taking a picture of Halle Betty's crop to my hairdresser!
http://www.thehairazor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/halle-berry-hair.jpg
Did the link work?confused

InvaderZim Sat 20-Apr-13 19:59:06

My hair has been great short in the past, but I lost some of the curl post-pregnancy. (sigh)

I used to wear it cut so all the hairs were the same general length - the layers contoured to my head IYSWIM - about 4 or 5 inches when first cut. Though mine is the sort of curly which flattens out on top so I never got the clown wig look. smile

nellyjelly Sat 20-Apr-13 19:48:27

Sort curly bob looks cute I think. Maybe not cutting edge but kind of timeless.

bigkidsdidit Sat 20-Apr-13 16:33:43

yup, it's so wonderfully esay. WHile I'm on maternity leave I'm trialling a graduated bob but will probably chop it all off again before I go back to work. Didn't even need drying!

Love I love curlesque. It's fab.

lovesmileandlaugh Sat 20-Apr-13 16:29:54

I found looking for short curly hair on Pinterest gave me some good ideas, I don't know how to link them, but if you PM me, I will tell you my user name to have a look!

The other thing is getting the right product! I'm still trying to find the right one to get rid of the fluff without looking like wet look gel!

HilaryM Sat 20-Apr-13 16:14:56

I have so many pictures of Audrey Tatou's crop! I did have mine in a pixie many years ago and loved how easy it was to style (whack on a bit of hair fudge, give it a bit of a scrunch, sorted). Was so short I didn't even have to comb it.

Is definitely possible. If you are in London or the South East, I can't recommend Juan at Our Little Secret in Herne Hill highly enough. He completely changed the way I deal with my curly hair. Brilliant hairdresser.

bigkidsdidit Sat 20-Apr-13 16:03:09

The only time my hair has ever looked stylish is when short. I had (and will again soon) a pixie cut based on Audrey Tatou's. It is so easy too. I can't recommend it enough.

HilaryM Sat 20-Apr-13 16:00:55

I have a similar cut to wizardofos - it looks like a bob from the front - quite 1930s ish, esp with a side parting - but at the back it's all layered. I like it but considering going for a complete crop.

I have never straightened my hair. - such a waste of time!

WizardofOs Sat 20-Apr-13 15:23:13

It is possible. It is all in finding a haridresser who cuts curly hair well buit they are far and few between. Short bobs are a no no as you get the mushroom head look already mentioned. It has to be shaped I think. I have mine short in the back cut into the nape and longer at the sides graduating to chin length in the front. I think it looks nice although there are bad hair days and i have to wash it every morning.

lovesmileandlaugh Sat 20-Apr-13 15:18:45

I've just had my shoulder length curly hair cut short. It is taking some getting used to. But so far I've been told it is like Rizzo from Grease or Betty Boops!

Sleepyfergus Sat 20-Apr-13 15:16:01

Take a look at Alex Polizzi (her from The Hotel Inspector). She has curly hair but wears it well I think.

NotConnie Sat 20-Apr-13 14:41:59

My face is heart shaped, it's the long dangly bits around my ears that seem to drag my face down and make me look older, rather than make my face look rounder. By tucking behind my ears and having the length at the back flicky, it balances my narrower chin. I think. grin

I understand exactly what you mean about the mushroom head though.

Maraki Sat 20-Apr-13 14:26:06

Sorry not possible, especially if you have a round face (hair behind ears usually suits people with round faces). Short curly hair gives me a 'mushroom' head IYKWIM.

NotConnie Sat 20-Apr-13 11:37:25

I'm getting fed up of fighting with my hair every day - blow drying, straightening etc.
It's currently short- not quite shoulder length at the back. I look better if I have it tucked behind my ears rather than having long dangly bits IYSWIM, and I have a high forehead so I like to have a bit of a soft fringe too.
Can anyone point me to any styles that may work for me, or if you have short curly hair how do you style it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now