How many bras do you own?

(75 Posts)
everythingishoney Sat 20-Apr-13 08:04:15

I had a bit of a bra revelation the other day. Whilst shopping in a sale I tried on a couple of bras that took years off me. I have just emerged bleary eyed out of the last 7 years looking after babies, breastfeeding and toddlers and found that my boobs no longer stand up on their own. they are still the same size - a whopping 34DD, but they look very flat in my clothes.

I always thought push up bras were a bit obscene on people over 25. The last time I looked at them Eva Hertigova was saying Hello Boys. Now it appears that they have moved on and they push up and pad out in a bit more subtle ways, taking 10 years off your boobs.

So, how many bras do you own? Aside from Sports Bras, I have about 20. However, they are dreary, saggy, make me look flat. I have 2 nice new ones. Most of them are flesh coloured.

Talk to me about bra capsule wardrobes, how many to have and what quality.

Err, please.

MrsLettuce Netherlands Sat 20-Apr-13 08:30:55

I have one bra that fits and two that don't, for emergencies <sob>

Hopefully Sat 20-Apr-13 08:36:44

I have only two that fit well (and another couple for emergencies!) thanks to weight loss affecting my size. I could do with at least two more so I'm not constantly trying to keep up with the laundry.

nellyjelly Sat 20-Apr-13 08:38:02

2 that fit. Around 15 in various sizes that don't.

HellonHeels Sat 20-Apr-13 08:39:43

20 bras? Blimey! Apart from sports bras I have three- two that need replacing and one that I never wear because it isn't supportive enough. I hate bra shopping so have been putting it off for ages.

Chuck out the 20 horrors, keep the two that fit and treat yourself to a good fitting?

picnicbasketcase Sat 20-Apr-13 08:40:49

I've not counted but about twelve that I can think of. Two that are really comfortable and fit properly and the rest look nice but leave red marks. confused

YoniTrix Sat 20-Apr-13 08:42:32

About 10. Not one that fits properly at the moment as I have lost weight.

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 20-Apr-13 08:45:35

About 20 am rotating the same 6 nursing bras at the mo though

OnTheNingNangNong Sat 20-Apr-13 08:45:38

two. None that really fit or give me shape

ZuleikaJambiere Sat 20-Apr-13 08:49:57

I stopped breast feeding 6 months and have had a purge and restock, asking for Leia vouchers for Christmas and birthday to get well fitting ones. I now have
2 white and 2 dark that fit
2 white that survived the purge and fit ok, for emergencies
one nude strapless, which rarely gets worn but is there just in case
one fancy one that gives a great cleavage, but rubs under my arms, so only gets worn for a short period of time such as an evening out
Aside from wanting a fancy one that does the cleavage without rubbing, I think I'm sorted for bras

tourdefrance Sat 20-Apr-13 08:50:05

3 sports bras and about 6 others of which 2 any good so I wear in rotation Finally chucked out nursing bras about a year ago but not got around to getting proper ones. Am also v small in that area so very little choice.

Fairylea Sat 20-Apr-13 08:52:17

2 that fit reasonably. About 5 in total. I really need to get fitted again !

Bunbaker Sat 20-Apr-13 09:10:32

Thanks to the brilliant bra threads on here I went out and bought some new bras, so all of them fit like a dream. I now own 5 - three flesh coloured, one white and one strapless.

I am only a 32B sad, so finding bras in my size isn't difficult.

Areyoumadorisitme Sat 20-Apr-13 09:22:52

Like an earlier poster, 2 that fit nicely and I wear nearly all the time. And about another 15 in varying sizes which look nice but aren't at all comfortable.
I own one white bra for emergencies and nearly all the rest are black or dark coloured, burgundy etc. No flesh coloured at all.

noviceoftheday Sat 20-Apr-13 09:26:46

I probably own about 45! About 20 are stored away while we decide on whether there will be dc3, as they were maternity bras and then nursing bras. About 20 are my day to day bras in every colour (I am one of those saddoes that always wear a bra and knicker set and they usually match my clothes.blushblush). About 5 sports bras. Of the 20 I use, about half are in my normal size (28E and damn hard to find!) and the other half are in 30DD which I usually wear when I have my period as i seem to bloat all over or put them on tightest hook if I really want to wear it and not on period.

happyfreeconfused Sat 20-Apr-13 09:29:33

I have loads and loads! How can you only have two or three? Do you not have any matching lingerie sets? I have tons - not that I actually wear them of course! Saving them for best.

Cherrypie32 Sat 20-Apr-13 09:30:10

2 because grear bras for large chests cost a fortune!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 20-Apr-13 09:37:03

happy....some people don't have a choice ffd. Underwear that fits is very expensive. Good on you that you have "loads and loads" but hmm at you wondering how other people don't have any "matching lingerie sets"

I have 3 nursing bras that don't fit that well but do the job. Recently lost 2 stone and DS is 12 months now so breast feeding has reduced a bit so that's changed my bra size.

HellonHeels Sat 20-Apr-13 10:00:12

Heh! I loathe matching lingerie sets. if the bra is supportive enough and fits well the knickers are usually scratchy and uncomfortable.

Also they almost invariably seem to have lacy bits that show through your clothes. I like plain, smooth fabrics.

I don't have any 'bedroom bras' at the moment :-)

sussexmum38 Sat 20-Apr-13 10:01:49

I have 25 though I am going to go through and throw out those that no longer fit. 3 of them white, 2 strapless a few sports. I have 4 sets for special nights. The rest are black and nude.

freddiefrog Sat 20-Apr-13 10:07:43

I have loads but wear the same few on rotation.

I am not blessed in the boob department but am a regular size so fortunately I can get away with cheapy undies and have quite a few matching sets

SorrelForbes Sat 20-Apr-13 10:09:26

I have about four that fit really, really well. I am a 30GG which isn't a size that's stocked everywhere.

Come over to the bra threads y'all.

ChippingInLovesSpring Sat 20-Apr-13 10:16:06

10 everyday bras (8 white, 2 black) <clean one everyday - at least once a day>

3 not so everyday ones that are comfortable enough, but not quite as comfy.

noviceoftheday Sat 20-Apr-13 10:35:01

Sorrell, 30GG, I feel your pain in finding bras. I do lurk on the bra threads. You ladies do great worksmile. I love it when people have their revelation moment.grin I had mine about 15 years ago in Selfridges in London. I was so broke but the relief after 13 years of ill fitting bras meant I was prepared to give up treats to have a nice fitting bra. Never looked back! The Selfridges ladies have fitted me ever since including 4 years of pregnancies and breast feeding where they sensibly advised me to go back every 3 months and check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now