ascot outfit - calling all critics!

(19 Posts)
agirland2boys Thu 18-Apr-13 20:25:49

Going to Royal Ascot on Ladies Day and will be in the Royal Enclosure - very excited!

Here is what I am thinking of wearing:
this dress: http://www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-yoko-dress-multi/p396826
with this (or a similar) jacket: http://www.johnlewis.com/fenn-wright-manson-camellia-jacket-black/p391478
and maybe this hat: http://www.lovehats.com/p/nerida-fraiman-isabelle
(w/hair tied back/put up somehow, or blown out straight as it is curly and full so would not work under this smallish hat/headpeice)

I have to point out that there are touches of fuschia (small flowers) in the dress, near the neckline and elsewhere that aren't visible on the website

so - what do you think?

agirland2boys Thu 18-Apr-13 20:26:56

forgot shoes -black patent peep toe 3 inches (or a bit higher)

Can you make them proper links please?

agirland2boys Thu 18-Apr-13 20:38:06

sorry here are (working) links

this dress: www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-yoko-dress-multi/p396826

with this (or a similar) jacket: www.johnlewis.com/fenn-wright-manson-camellia-jacket-black/p391478

and maybe this hat: www.lovehats.com/p/nerida-fraiman-isabelle (w/hair tied back/put up somehow, or blown out straight as it is curly and full so would not work under this smallish hat/headpeice)

I have to point out that there are touches of fuschia (small flowers) in the dress, near the neckline and elsewhere that aren't visible on the website

shoes would probably be black patent peep toe 3" high (perhaps a bit higher)

TheRealFellatio Thu 18-Apr-13 20:40:34

That dress is really pretty - I love it. Not too sure about the hat though. It's too medium sized for me. grin I think you should go for a little pill box with a net, or a mahoosive wacky hat.

TheRealFellatio Thu 18-Apr-13 20:43:12

here. Ok, so it's $700. hmm

But similar.

agirland2boys Thu 18-Apr-13 20:51:42

I know what you mean about the hat's size
A pretty little thing would go very well but I am a not so slim size 14/16, 5'7" tall so was thinking something bigger would probably look better on me. Plus - it might be a sunny day (fingers crossed!)
I could hire hat HP043 on this page: www.lizzieshats.com/hats/full-collections-4/

TheRealFellatio Thu 18-Apr-13 21:00:39

I think it's a hat for people who don't feel totally confident about wearing a hat, iykwim. And if that's the case, better to wear no hat than a half-arsed one. grin

FloresCircumdati Thu 18-Apr-13 21:03:26

I think your outfit looks fabulous and just right for Ascot (never been, but used to live nearby and drool at all the lovely photos.)

I like the way the dress goes with the neckline of the jacket, and it follows through with the hat. I didn't like the hat at first, but with the whole outfit it goes very well imo.

Have a great time, you lucky thing!

SofaCanary Thu 18-Apr-13 22:20:52

Love, love, love the dress, it's perfect.

Hope the sun shines for you smile

agirland2boys Thu 18-Apr-13 23:01:33

ok had some fun on Polyvore - now you can see the whole thing together here: www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=79352200
(should have done this in the first place!)

thanks very much for all of your ideas and suggestions so far

ClaudiaCutie Fri 19-Apr-13 10:54:21

LOVELY dress. The FCUK jacket from AG&2B's clever link is more chic than the FWM jacket, though - I find FWM a bit frumpy personally.

The jacket should be as minimalist and sharp as poss with that lovely dress. Hobbs actually do pretty good small jackets. Given the neat silouette of the dress, that pillbox hat with the froth on top located by Fellatio is superb - a neat, sharp little hat (to match the neat, sharp shape of the dress) or a giant swooping circle hat (as a contrast) is the way to go, as pointed out upthread. Don't go the middle of the road hat - it's a bit tame.

If you can get the right hat and jacket, it'll look so smart and chic and stylish! Great look! I hope you have a wonderful day. Take lots of pics, sometimes it's easy to forget to take enough pics in the excitement of the day out. Am a bit jealous actually :-)

Startail Fri 19-Apr-13 11:11:51

The big hat!

Or go with the Japanese dress and stick just the right fascinator in a bun.

I don't think small hats are going to work. You'll just look like you put a hat on because you had to.

TheRealFellatio Fri 19-Apr-13 11:49:25

I agree that the FC jacket is much nicer - the other one looks a tad office.

Also, if you black jacket then black shoes and hat fine, but if you rally want to go with the back jacket I would rethink the olour of the hat and shoes. Too much black seems a bit heavy and funereal for an outdoors summery occasion.

Isthereanappforthat Fri 19-Apr-13 12:33:33

I have the Yoko dress and can vouch that it looks fabulous on.

tethersend Fri 19-Apr-13 13:01:42

Lovely dress.

I'd swap the jacket for a bolero and get this hat or this hat.

agirland2boys Fri 19-Apr-13 14:38:06

All-thanks so much for all of your compliments/comments/ideas - so incredibly helpful!

Fellatio - love that little (pricey) hat! totally agree w/ your point about too much black - do want to look summery but not sure how as jacket and hat should probably match or the whole thing might look too 'broken up' and 'like too much is going on' - maybe i will try searching for a cream/taupe/lt grey jacket & hat (although much easier to match black w/black!) - and yes the FC jacket is way more stylish/less corporate looking

tethersend - thanks so much for the link to the bolero - I LOVE IT! and the hat ideas are great (although I would prefer a bit of colour on the hat to avoid the funereal look as fellatio mentioned - suppose I could buy some feathers/flowers somewhere and stick them on but to be honest I'm not sure I could do this w/o the result looking completely naff!)

Startail/ClaudiaCutie/Fellatio- i get what you mean about going with a timid hat - you have motivated me to go w/a proper full size hat smile so might rent the Philip Treacy (pictured on Polyvore link) or buy the one tethersend suggested

TheRealFellatio Fri 19-Apr-13 20:48:15

Oh but the dress is so lovely - whatever you choose to go with it can't fail really.

Startail Sat 20-Apr-13 00:32:33

Hat with a bit of colour definitely or it does look a bit funeral.
DM has a black hat for weddings and I know it suits her, but it's a bit safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now