So do we really think Northern women have no sense of style?

(28 Posts)
Charliefox Thu 18-Apr-13 12:44:25

I'm at home at the mo, so caught a bit of This Morning. Journo on there spouting forth that she thinks all Northern women lack the ability to dress well. She defined the north as just above Birmingham and beyond. And added that Essex was a little enclave! For what it's worth, I think it's total tosh. I see both crimes of fashion and really stylish women all over the country. North/South divide - what do you think?

There's terrible dress sense to be found wherever you go, I think there's just certain places where it's 'expected' so people are more likely to notice it. Style is totally subjective and I think there are things that just don't translate very well between the north and the south. In very general terms, there seems to be more financial fluidity further south so a lot people equate designer and money spent with style whereas in some areas of the north, you just don't get that same level of designer name dropping. Obviously, there are places even in the north where designer is all you see but I really don't think money can buy you style, no matter where you are from. It's something you either have or you don't.

foxysocks Thu 18-Apr-13 17:38:30

i don't think you can generalize. however, i grew up in a northern city and found it very hard to find any sense of style. it was topshop, miss selfridge or river island. very mainstream, nothing really outside the box.

i then went to uni in liverpool - omfg, the sights we saw rotfl.

it wasn't until a stint in london, edinburgh and a year or so of travelling that I started to get more style savvy and start to make better choices. whereas the londoners I am friends with had all that on their doorsteps from the get go. i def think choices were more limited up north, and anything outside their specific sphere or experience was commented on and noses turned up at, for sure.

where i live now is a total mish mash of boden mummies, higher boutique-y fashion and real charity/recycled clothing/hippy enclaves.

santamarianovella Thu 18-Apr-13 17:44:37

i agree with amber,she buys the most coveted clothes ,bags,and shoes,but somehow they look so wrong. it just emphasis her problem areas.
we all have bad parts,and we all have clothes that does not suit us,so yes know your limits.
i would certainly hire a stylist if i were her,one of those big hollywood ones,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now