Fashion blogs - what's your take?

(56 Posts)

Useful resource or an exercise in vanity?

santamarianovella Tue 16-Apr-13 17:05:23

designers are starting to use bloggers to advertise their products,its very clever marketing.most of the big bloggers get tons of designer freebies,and they start gushing about them in a nauseating way. i lost interest in blonde salad for that.
its not that im envious or anything,i like buying nice things but i pay alot for them.
i like ambers and mrsc blogs because i can relate to them,although i would describe my style as a bit different from both blogs,but i always find things that i like ,and i love to see how they style certain things.
i never heard of jemima vien until i read about it on ambers and i like them.
and i like toasted tumblr and wish she could post more pics !

DewDr0p Tue 16-Apr-13 13:36:59

I've not seen one I'd like to follow - there are a couple I could see myself dipping in and out of for inspiration 3 or 4 times a year when I shop. (I tend to work out what I need for a season and go for it)

I share the lack of interest in blogs featuring tall skinny women in skinny jeans and big scarfs. If only because I am a totally different shape, so most of that stuff looks pretty awful on me. I quite like Audrey at puttingmetogether - love all the colours.

LifeofPo Tue 16-Apr-13 09:53:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 16-Apr-13 09:47:00

What watch thing? The same one?

LifeofPo Tue 16-Apr-13 09:27:47

SavoyCabbage Tue 16-Apr-13 05:39:17

I like Outfit Posts.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 16-Apr-13 05:13:09

I miss WIT - she bridged the gap well between 'mum blogs' and the Wendy type blogs I think.

CointreauVersial Mon 15-Apr-13 23:45:43

There has to be an element of vanity, but big credit to any blogger who's prepared to put themselves out there.

I use Bloglovin, and enjoy my daily dose of mum-blogs, as I tend to use them as inspiration for day-to-day dressing, and will often buy things I have seen on a "real" person (as opposed to a size zero model on a retail website), or get inspiration to re-style something I already have.

Wendy, Atlantic Pacific and their aspirational ilk are largely irrelevant to me (pretty pictures, that's all).

And I've not dipped my toe into Pinterest (I might fall in and drown grin ).

LifeofPo Mon 15-Apr-13 21:37:42

Bartlebee Mon 15-Apr-13 21:36:45

Ooh has she? I shall look forward to her comeback!

S'ok bartle, she's had her beautiful baby boy so I'm sure she'll be back before too long, shaming us all by looking super-slim postnatally!

Bartlebee Mon 15-Apr-13 21:31:39

The only one I really like is The Suburban Style, but only because she's a similar build to me and wears clothes I have invariably already got. I like blogs with real people, not fashion shoot style photos.

<misses point>

But she has had the temerity to get pregnant and stop posting angry.

I find any American fashion blogs ghastly - invariably schmaltzy and self aggrandising.

And most 'school mum/forty/yummy mummy' blogs scream frump to me.

daisydoodoo Mon 15-Apr-13 21:07:14

Some of the newer blogs are just jumpingon the babandwagon. Like someone else said how many blogs do there need to be out there telling you wedge trainers skinny jeans a scarf and a biker jacket will make you a cool/yummy mummy?

I like poppystyle I find her writing quite funny (in a good way) and envious of her budget or lack of. Schoolgatestyle is good too, I don't read it as often but I like the store reviews and that its not just clothing.

I think they have to be vain in order to take full length pics day in day out. Some are extremely cringey look at the floor hand on hip and smile. Origionality is good same old same old content that youcan get in other established blogs, no thanks. Im pretty sure some of the 'newbies' think they are going to make a living from it and get lots of freebies.

And now I'll put my claws back in blush

Oh god, I don't deserve to even be mentioned on the same page as Sart! I like Stockholm too Santa.

santamarianovella Mon 15-Apr-13 20:56:59

i fallow stockholm street style and sartorialist,i love these two,you get to see a great mix of styles from all over,and just one place or one particular trend, they are more into european and global style as opposed to the pretty american ones.
i do like some american ones but not the NY princessy kind,hate those!

foxysocks Mon 15-Apr-13 20:56:04
foxysocks Mon 15-Apr-13 20:55:32

i love them. and if I don't love them (boring, not me, cannot stand the sponsored posts) i don't read them.

love yours A. keep blogging! x

Downfall Mon 15-Apr-13 20:50:41

Can someone kindly link to Amber's blog? If that's allowed? Thanks.

Oh, and I follow a massive variety, from uber-fash Blonde Salad/Style Bubble to glam-American Atlantic and Wendy to home-grown WIT and Frugality to mum-bloggers like SGS, Suburban Style etc. I get something from each of them and look forward to the Bloglovin emails bouncing into my inbox.

Awww, thanks to all the lovelies being kind about mine, I wasn't fishing, honest!

The reason I asked was because I have weekly crises of confidence where I think 'I look like a dog's dinner, what the hell am I blogging for', and feel madly egocentric for doing it. But I suppose, as some of you rightly say, there has to be an element of vanity to do it in the first place.

Hopefully, that's a good point about 'useful' posts. I am off to sunny Centre Parcs next week, so you have inspired me to do a capsule 'British weather resistant' holiday wardrobe post. Something to look forward to wink...

Hopefully Mon 15-Apr-13 20:35:45

YoniOno another vote for bloglovin here.

Spookey80 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:20:17

I don't like American ones, except Atlantic pacific because hers is shot so beautifully.
Love the mum ones really, just like having a nose at the mum at the school gate whose style you admire, and then being able to copy it!

Spookey80 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:13:51

I think they are great. They have enabled me to save money on magazines. I can now look at what is happening in fashion from high end to people on a budget. But they have also helped me look at my wardrobe differently and I have been able to put outfits together that I might not have otherwise done before.
For me they are a real source of inspiration and I have a few I check every day, including Amber's.
Love, love, love!

dozily Mon 15-Apr-13 20:06:02
dozily Mon 15-Apr-13 20:05:24

YoniOno - I use [www.bloglovin.com] which sounds a bit like what you're looking for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now