I need footwear help please - am going around in circles.

(106 Posts)

I realise this is an age old question but I need help solving it once and for all. I have lived in ankle boots for the last couple of Autumn/Winters/Springs and I have ballet shoes etc. But what I need is something to wear with skinny jeans on days when I am going to be walking a lot so need a bit more cushioning than ballet flats - but when the calendar says it is no longer boot weather, but it is either too wet or not warm enough for sandals. Sorry for the many 'but's in that.

I thought I would get some Converse low tops but dp says they make me look like a child (not a teenager - a child, fgs). I thought they made my feet look big (I am only a size 4 but have skinny ankles). Shall I get some anyway? Or is there something else out there to solve this problem for me. I have already discounted wedge trainers (because they make me look as if I'm trying to be Victoria Beckham) and Superga (because they make me look like a Playschool presenter).

I like Converse on other people; just not sure about on me. Help please!

starsandunicorns Sun 14-Apr-13 16:43:58

I have dunlops

The green flash company they are comfy come in diff colours i got mine are sports direct i on my 2nd pair the first pair lasted nearly 3 yrs and i worn them most days cant link as on phone

Thanks both. Dunlop too trainer-ish for me and Vans a bit too emo. I knew this would be impossible - agh.

Sorry for being so fussy.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Apr-13 16:48:18

www.kurtgeiger.com/women/shoes/trainers/louise-nude-leather-41-kurt-geiger-london-shoe.html

I have these in a dark metallic gold colour, they aren't kiddy looking and are still going strong 6 years later.

Lovely - and v similar (but nicer) to the evil hurty Clarks ones I have. But ouch at the price!

Trumpton Sun 14-Apr-13 16:51:02

Hmm . Vans a bit too emo ? Hmmm <<shuffles off>> ( I am 60 and didn't know that . )Still one of the bright sides of acting my shoe size (7) not my age is that I don't know things like that and no one looks at my feet anyway grin

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Apr-13 16:52:39

I know, I balked at paying £99 6 years ago but they last. They do them in black too.

Sorry Trumpton. Am an idiot, I know. Other people look perfectly fine in all sorts of things, but I just seem to look stupid.

Trumpton Sun 14-Apr-13 16:53:09

Oh I like those KG ones but too pricey for me.

Just found these Too teenage?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Apr-13 16:56:09

www.shoeaholics.com/women/shoes/flats/liberty-37.html

I'm selling everything not nailed down on eBay to buy these.

Fluffy - those are almost identical to my hurty Clarks ones. Nice colour.

AWimbaWay Sun 14-Apr-13 17:04:10

I'm going to get some ankle cowboy boots for in-betweeny weather, figure they wear them in hot countries.

returnvisit Sun 14-Apr-13 17:07:11

I dont like any of these, any one got any ideas of anything less casual looking?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:13:17

Before I had my KG ones I had a very similar shoe from Topshop, half the price but I rubbed all the skin off my heels.

ArtexMonkey Sun 14-Apr-13 17:23:59

I like pf flyers, but nowhere in uk seems to have them in stock ATM. Hmm hmm.

SlinkyB Sun 14-Apr-13 18:28:01

Tbh, I never found my Converse low tops particularly comfy as they're quite narrow, and hard/flat soled.

But I guess it depends what you're used to.

What do you like, Slinky? The reason I want something other than balet shoes is that they are too flat to wear all day - basically I want something to wear when out around town for museum visits etc all day, when I might well be walking a LOT but don't want to look like I'm going hiking or to the gym. smile

ballet

Agh - you posted earlier, sorry.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 14-Apr-13 18:41:26

Loafers? I hate them with a passion but each to their own.

SlinkyB Sun 14-Apr-13 18:46:59

That's the problem, I don't really know what I like either! I think I'd like something pretty, feminine, summery, comfy and practical and versatile. Not much then wink

these are the Boden canvas trainers I'm sending back

happyyonisleepyyoni Sun 14-Apr-13 18:56:57

You need plimsolls of some kind. I had the retro Adidas trainers for awhile and then some lookalikes. Tried Vans but they are not really me. About 5 years ago rediscovered Converse. I don't know why your OH thinks they look childish but I'd ignore him personally I know lots of people in their 30s/40s who wear them.

www.superga.co.uk/browse/Classic2750_360_0_0_na_womens_12.html

I'm getting a new pair of these. They are good enough for Italian women when I'm over there and certainly not seen as teenage only. I like ballet shoes too, but as the OP says they are far too flat to wear a lot.

Thanks again everybody. I don't like the look of the Superga but do like the look of Converse (well, on other people!). Those spotty Boden ones would make me look about 3, I think.

Dp agrees that lots of older people look fine in Converse, but says I don't! I'm going to try those tan leather ones I linked to earlier, and see if they look a bit more grown up than the ones I tried before (just the black and white low top ones).

Agree, the reason everyone on the planet wears converse is because they are the most inoffensive shoe imaginable. Odd that your DP hates them!

My DH dislikes most of my footwear but I just tell him to bugger off because he has no taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now