The CrepeVine

(996 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Sat 13-Apr-13 14:03:00

grin

How did we finish the other thread so fast...? Less than a month.

bigTillyMint Tue 16-Apr-13 18:41:32

I'm up for a foray - what time shall we meet on Sun? (Hope it's not raining as I will probably have to be on my bike as DS will have footy somewhere....) There's the Dul Trader too which might have something nice?

My legs are jelly. I have just done an hour's circuit training - uses muscles my other exercise doesn't reach!

motherinferior Tue 16-Apr-13 19:47:38

BTM, shall check with my fellow-inmates and get back to you.

Child is maybe 12, and is on her own. I'll see if she keeps doing it.

bigTillyMint Tue 16-Apr-13 21:20:51

It is possible that the school is still not open for children for some reason. Or it maybe that she's on an exclusion. Or truantingwink Do you know her? Or do your DD's?

CV, I can't believe you had the rads on today - it's positively tropical here smile

motherinferior Tue 16-Apr-13 21:23:18

All our local state schools are open; it's possible she's at the private school down the road. Or, as you say, on an exclusion. Or maybe she doesn't have a school yet in the area (I don't know how long she's lived in our road). I don't know her, and nor do the girls.

I know it's none of my business but it takes a village (or in our case a slightly scummy road with a drunks' hostel at the end of it) and all that, innit.

bigTillyMint Tue 16-Apr-13 21:31:21

That's true, she may not be in school. She may even be HE!

I'm not even sure who you would contact!

motherinferior Tue 16-Apr-13 21:38:56

Well, I did think of HE but frankly I'm not sure if just riding your bike up and down the road all day is madly educational.

bigTillyMint Tue 16-Apr-13 21:51:42

PE?!

CointreauVersial Tue 16-Apr-13 22:14:30

BTM, the rads were only on because the plumber was testing them, having flushed the system.

The irony of finally having working central heating just as the weather warms up is not lost on me. angry

wilbur Tue 16-Apr-13 22:34:29

MI and BTM - can't believe you're going frock shopping in W Dulwich on the one day I can't come and meet you! Have got BIL's 40th lunch (kids nicely dressed and on best behaviour....)

CV - you'll be happy about those rads come November. I would love to know why the rad closest to the boiler in our house is the coldest and the one on the landing (useful!) is the hottest.

CointreauVersial Tue 16-Apr-13 22:44:03

grin Wilbur, I did seriously contemplate sleeping in the utility room during the most recent cold snap, because it's the warmest room in the house by a long way. The coldest are the living room and our bedroom. hmm

Blackduck Wed 17-Apr-13 06:15:50

smile re rads! In old house the warmest was the downstairs shower room. Here it's ds's room or the hall - but it's a rubbish system all round. I survived yesterday okay, but actually feel flakier this morning!

bigTillyMint Wed 17-Apr-13 06:47:04

Oh wilbur, that's a shame. Is BIL's lunch in a posho restaurant?

The rads in our bedroom and the kitchen never seem hot enough - we have had the kitchen one replaced, so can't say it's just because it's oldconfused

My legs are stiff and jelly-like (if that's possible), but it's my early morning in the gym today - do I stay or do I go?

hattymattie Wed 17-Apr-13 06:55:54

V jealous of shopping trip. I think we need good family/friend event so I can at least buy a dress.

BTM - I always find it better to go to the gym and work through the painsmile

bigTillyMint Wed 17-Apr-13 08:00:34

Well I went! Not quite the usual standard of workout, but better than nothing! I think I need to keep working in the squats as that's where the stiffness is.

BD, I am only just feeling human again after the 12hr flight on Friday night. Not doing longhaul again for a while!

rubyrubyruby Wed 17-Apr-13 08:15:55

I've just been invited to a 50th birthday party in June.
It's Sod's law it's going to clash <<sulks>>

wilbur Wed 17-Apr-13 11:41:48

BTM - BIL b'day is in a posh pub and menu looks v nice. It is in Lincolnshire though... Still kids love seeing all the cousins and it will be a very jolly do as dh's family are all lovely.

Now Crepeys, I have a dilemma and I need advice. Dh is planning something for our 15th wedding anniversary at the end of May. I know this because he had to ask me about the timings for DS1's scout camp at the beginning of half term. I have recently started using dh's old phone handset as mine is bust and for some reason the app that records voicemail, is still getting his messages and not mine. So I now also know that dh is planning for us to go to a b&b in Angelsey for a couple of nights and leave the two smaller kids with my inlaws in Birmingham on the way. This is all very lovely, but Angelsey is so flipping far away and I don't really want to go. [ungrateful cow emoticon] Leaving the kids with inlaws means a 2hr drive anyway, and then it's a further 3.5 hrs to Angelsey. On the way up I guess we could stop for lunch and make a day of the drive, but on the way back we will need to get ds1 from Scouts and so will be driving for 6+ hours. Dh doesn't really mind driving, but since we moved house an have not yet got organised with local living here, I spend way, way too much time in the car and am beginning to really resent it. I would so much rather go to somewhere close to the in laws and spend the saved driving time (and petrol money) pottering round some shops, or staring into space over a coffee, or even talking to dh, at a pinch. Would I be a complete bitch to tell him I know about the plans and could we please do something else? I know he is hoping to surprise me, and I hate to spoil that, but right now I think I would really not enjoy 2 days in windswept Angelsey. Help!

wilbur Wed 17-Apr-13 11:42:27

Anglesey, even. Never know how to spell that.

herbaceous Wed 17-Apr-13 11:46:52

All sphincters clenched: it's school decision day down our way. Trying to be Terribly Positive about all the schools on the list, as highly unlikely to get choice number 1.

wilbur Wed 17-Apr-13 11:47:53

Everything crossed for you, herbs.

bigTillyMint Wed 17-Apr-13 12:30:19

Everything crossed here too Herbs!

Wilbur,Anglesey does seem a strange choice given the distances and the windsweptness of it - does he have a special reason for choosing it?!
However, we have done similar dropoffs and distances for weekends away, and I have to say I don't mind the driving as no DC in the car = our choice of music and chat!

If it was me, I think I'd have to let him know that I'd been getting the voicemails and see what he said about why he chose that B&B. But I'm very upfrontsmile

motherinferior Wed 17-Apr-13 13:48:50

Herbs, I am clenched as a clenched thing.

Wilbur, I think you do have to bite the bullet. Just in case there is some fabulous reason he'll Reveal to you...OR why don't you announce you think you should celebrate your 15th and indeed why don't you go to <insert lovely location of choice>?

I just blew two hundred smackers on flights to Berlin shock DP is going to a conference and suggested he stayed out a couple of days and I joined him. I never do things like this. (Going on a Friday yoicks the price up - they were Easyjet!)

bigTillyMint Wed 17-Apr-13 13:59:47

MIenvy Never been to Berlin!

beachyhead Wed 17-Apr-13 14:14:15

Oh good luck Herbs, have you heard yet and how do they tell you?

Wilbur, I'd quite like to go to Anglesey, but it does seem a bit of a schlep for 2 nights... I would own up to the voice mail mix up, and admit you know the plans.

It's very hard as, if you voice your disapproval of the plans he will put on his 'but I did this for us' and 'I tried really hard to do something special' face.

I'd just go along with it to be honest. Probably not worth rocking the boat for.

If I complained, my dh would spend the next year saying 'well, I booked a lovely break, but Beachy didn't want to go, so she made me change it!'

bigTillyMint Wed 17-Apr-13 14:20:53

Yes Beachy, my DH would do the same.

If he was to ever book a surprise weekend away, of course!smile

motherinferior Wed 17-Apr-13 14:23:37

Hmm yes, why d'you think I've consented to blowing cash on Berlin (and we've still to find a hotel)...? "Well, I suggested Berlin but you didn't want to go..."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now