The CrepeVine

(996 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Sat 13-Apr-13 14:03:00

grin

How did we finish the other thread so fast...? Less than a month.

bigTillyMint Wed 08-May-13 18:56:08

That's great Hatty!

I haven't got any photo evidence of my trouser-disasters (though I didn't think they were disasters at the time!) - binned anything like that years ago!

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 08-May-13 22:19:10

I am back. grin

My mother was not too bad at all. She was positively gushing at the lunch at Claridges (although the glass of Dom Perignon vintage champagne which we got on the house because I know someone who works there, was lost on her, and she would have been just as happy with a Lambrini, if it had been free) and kept saying she was having a lovely time. I suspect the hand of a couple of her close friends came into play here, who kept telling her that Claridges would be a Lovely Experience and How Lovely to Have a Night in London Too.

The DDs went to stay with their grandparents and DD2 started her periods there. She is absolutely flooding - never seen anything like it for a first period, poor lamb. sad

I am a fraud posting on S & B as I am wearing a Pruner top (weeps) and M & S jeans - Lana, the ones for porkers with no arse - which are too big.

wilbur Wed 08-May-13 23:21:42

Oh poor dd2 MrsS, what a way to begin. Bah, it's such a lottery how these things go - I sailed through teenage hormones barely noticing my periods while friends clutched hot water bottles to their bellies, yet now I have such bad PMS that I would likely be in prison for manslaughter were it not for progesterone cream and evening primrose oil. And yet my mum and sister both had dreadful and painful periods throughout. My poor dd will have me hovering over her repeatedly asking if she's ok as she's such a stoic, she would fail to mention if she was in pain. I imagine she will be hmm about my worries.

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 07:04:58

MrsS. glad the treat went well, but I feel for your DD - I had terrible painful periods, such a shock when you first start.

What is a Pruner top?

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 09-May-13 09:02:56

Pruner = Per Una.

Got up today to go back to work, got to the bus stop, no buses. Rang DH who confirmed that it is, indeed, a public holiday today. grin I will be spending the day looking for homes for the 500 cookery books and myriad tins and packets of lentils, rice, pasta and quinoa as the shelves in the cupboard where they were living have collapsed.

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 09:27:23

Oh!blush

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 09-May-13 09:33:44

Strops - a flapjack recipe? I have recently been making "retro flapjacks"

100g margarine
1tbsp golden syrup
100g sugar
50g oats
50g self raising flour
50g crushed cornflakes

Melt marge and syrup together (I use butter, but as I say, this recipe is retro, and courtesy of an old Be-Ro book), then add dry ingredients, give a good mix, tip into a tin 8" x 8" and bake for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees. Mark out squares while still warm, as it will be impossible once they have set hard.

Will try BTM's recipe, but am a bit low on golden syrup at the moment. Though no end of oats have emerged from the Tardis store cupboard. May make granola and muesli.

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 09:37:35

You can use honey instead of syrup in my recipe! Cornflakes sounds like an interesting addition - will give it a go. Do you remember cornflake pie from school dinners?!

Actually I think it was school puds that started my dislike of pastrysmile

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 09-May-13 10:08:51

Oh yes, cornflake pie! Did you have toothpaste pie as well?

Blackduck Thu 09-May-13 10:30:56

Be-ro!! oh that takes me back - Australian Crunchy and Coffe Kisses anyone smile

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 11:08:43

Toothpaste pie? Sounds bleurgh - don't think we ever had that!

Australian crunchy was nice, though!

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 09-May-13 12:17:15

Australian Crunchy is still a big favourite here!

I have the book on the left at the top

rubyrubyruby Thu 09-May-13 12:53:23

Stop talking cakes!
I'm low carbing grin

House B and C both lovely but location not great and house A feels 'right'

herbaceous Thu 09-May-13 13:10:09

What the blazes was Australian crunchy? Bit avant garde for Hertfordshire. My favourite was sponge and custard, preferably with jam on the sponge. I took full advantage of my five days in hospital after having DS by having sponge and custard for every pudding.

Just spent ages dithering over a dress in Uniqlo between the medium (for the waist) and the large (for the norks), and by the time I got to the checkout the only size left was extra-small. Bah.

DS now over his pox. Every day the scabs get smaller and smaller - isn't kids' skin amazing. He now seems to think 5.30 is a reasonable time to get up, however. The gro clock has lost its power.

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 13:10:30

Ah, ruby, that's great that you now have a feeling for house A - got the impression that it wasn't quite doing it for you before! Will you be putting an offer in?

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 09-May-13 15:34:16

Australian Crunchy recipe, especially for you, Herbs.

225 g (8 oz)margarine
150 g (5 oz)caster sugar
75 g (3 oz)desiccated coconut
75 g (3 oz)crushed Cornflakes
1 x 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp)cocoa powder, sieved
150 g (5 oz)Be-Ro Self Raising Flour
100 g (4 oz)chocolate melted (optional)

1Heat oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Grease a Swiss roll tin 31 x 21 cm (12½ x 8 inch).
2Melt the margarine over a low heat.
3Stir in the sugar, coconut, cornflakes, cocoa and flour. Mix well.
4Turn into the tin and level with a knife. Bake for 20 minutes.
5When almost cold cut into squares or triangles.
6Cover with melted chocolate if wished.

But don't eat too much of it, or you'll be buying the L or XL from Uniqlo next time. grin

rubyrubyruby Thu 09-May-13 15:58:55

BTM - I do love the house but I just wish it was slightly larger.

herbaceous Thu 09-May-13 16:09:31

<drools on to keyboard>

<orders xxxxl, to be on the safe side>

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 17:21:51

Bet it's hyooooooj compared to mine! And your DC's have how long till they finish school?.... wink

Herbs is that xxxxl Australian crunchy or Uniqlo dress?!

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 17:23:11

First comment to ruby, obvs!

Have put cornflakes on next grocery order!

rubyrubyruby Thu 09-May-13 18:09:35

I'm ignoring the Australian crunchy

Not very big BTM but more space than we have and more than one bathroom. Smaller garden, I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing!

The house I viewed today was much bigger but I just kept repeating location, location, location.

Blackduck Thu 09-May-13 18:49:56

<views minuscule garden> ruby, you live in the country, you need enough garden for a BBQ, a table and chairs....anything more is extra smile
I note you can't now send be-ro cash for the book, last copy I bought I sellotaped £1.25 to a card and sent it off smile

Oh what dress Herbs (have been eyeing up some myself...)

alto1 Thu 09-May-13 19:00:47

Took DH to hosp for his spinal surgery - removing all the scaffolding they put in nearly 18 months ago after his accident. Horrible having to go back to neurosurgical unit but it seems to be going well. They're having trouble keeping on top of his pain but he's coping. I'm shattered - not been sleeping but think I will tonight. Just grabbing a rest in the car outside dd's piano lesson at the moment. Bit bullet and asked Mum to cook, which she's doing, though not before complaining that the mince was out of date (it's been frozen) grin grin

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 19:18:00

alto big hugs {{{}}}flowers

Zactly ruby, you live in the countryside!
And what's wrong with a minisule garden?grin

Blackduck Thu 09-May-13 20:40:21

Alto - big hug and here's hoping you get a decent nights sleep and DH is okay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now