The CrepeVine

(996 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Sat 13-Apr-13 14:03:00

grin

How did we finish the other thread so fast...? Less than a month.

QueenQueenie Mon 15-Apr-13 11:17:37

Err, thanks DD.

Cremolafoam Mon 15-Apr-13 14:52:02

wink

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Apr-13 17:23:57

confused

Stropperella Mon 15-Apr-13 18:27:44

Er, yes... hmm

I would like to announce that I was a goody-goody at the w/e and did A Project with ds to try and enthuse him about the Vikings. We spent ages researching and then making a longship (not sure if it actually was "ages" but it felt like it). He very proudly took the results into school today. That was this year's try-hard mummy moment. Anyway, it appears to have worked because I found ds doing his written homework at 8.30am yesterday morning. I actually was like this => grin

At the less cheery end of the spectrum, dd is currently beating herself up because she "only got an A" in her French oral today and is "the thickest in the class". She is actually in tears because allegedly everyone else found it "really easy" and all got an A*. <sigh> Nothing I have said so far has made any difference. Any suggestions, Crepsters?

Cremolafoam Mon 15-Apr-13 19:04:27

Oh blooming hec Stropps - an A is amazing isn't it. I personally hate A* - I mean what's the point of them.??
I'd say something like tests are only supposed to be a way of finding out what you've forgotten.smileor need to go and look at. That's all they're for . Oh and the old it's not a competition speech or I'd have never got an A star in that test...
Then give chocolate.
I'm a hopeless parent aren't I !grin?

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Apr-13 19:24:13

DD would be the same Stropps - hates to feel that she is not one of the best (competitive much?!)

Chocolate sounds a good plansmile

Stropperella Mon 15-Apr-13 21:03:42

Thanks Crem and BTM. I tried chocolate. And ice cream. But you could tell it was serious because she wouldn't have either of them. Have done the "you can only do your best" speech etc. 2 hours on and she's now had some ice cream and marshmallows so is clearly feeling a bit better. I am rather dreading the rest of this term as it's exams a-go-go and several of them are the real GCSE deal. <gulp> Today's French oral apparently does count towards the final grade. (not sure why or how, tbh)
OTOH and contrary to expectations, there has been no drama at all about the new glasses she has to wear for looking at the board at school and watching TV. Geek chic rules, apparently. Not contrary or anything, my dd. smile

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Apr-13 21:21:22

Stropps, sending you brave, strong and positive vibessmile

Cremolafoam Mon 15-Apr-13 21:40:27

That's sweet about the specssmile
Dd seems to only wear hers at home so perhaps she going through some other kind of "phrase"grin
What % of the overall mark is the oral Stropps? I bet it won't affect her overall grade that much tbh.
Lol at ice cream and mallows.

Fancy some if that myselfshock

Blackduck Tue 16-Apr-13 05:44:31

Hi <waves feebly> it is way too early to be up but dp insisted we head for home.
Kefalonia seems a lifetime ago already sad
I take it that YouTube link isn't flattering - it you can't say something nice etc etc
Sorry to hear all the building woes - I do stare at the patch of green opposite our house and think 'please no'

beachyhead Tue 16-Apr-13 06:30:09

Morning Blackduck,

I can confirm that, (except the rain), winter is maybe over, so it's safe to come homegrin

I must admit, on the mark spectrum, we are at the other end... A and A* maybe for Art, but we are aiming to celebrate passes here!

Not through lack of trying or competitiveness, as she is working so hard, but we will be delighted with a full hand of anything above a C....

I've told her if she gets an A* in Maths, I'll buy her a car... It's a gamble I'm prepared to take, as the money is safe with me! grin

Seriously Stropps, hope she is ok this morning going in. These perceived set backs can hit them hard at this stage.

daftdame Tue 16-Apr-13 10:16:23

Soz, Blackduck et al.

Blame my anarchic sense of humour (FAIL!?). I liked it because it seems quite endearing. Makes me glad people love you for all your 'imperfections' - ultimate geek chic (although I'm not quite that far along - yet!).

Cremolafoam Tue 16-Apr-13 10:49:00

oh for goodness sake. i have just realised i am so short sighted i have been doing the wrong emoticons on my phone for ages. ( in my defence they are TINY on my iphone grin )
This is the first time I have actually logged in on the computer for a year. Apologies for any harm or confusion i may have caused.

wilbur Tue 16-Apr-13 10:58:16

Aha, you're here! I think that last thread filled up so fast because you were all so busy facebooking each other instead of talking about eyelashes and frocks and other important things.

We have, after avoiding it all winter, been hit by the D&V bug. Ds2 was impressively sick over the weekend and is now completely wiped out (and not back at school, sigh). Ds1 has started calling him Mr Spew grin. Poor ds2 - he's never sick and asked dh if you can die from vomiting. Waiting for the others to go down with it - what's the incubation, anyone know?

MI - I love the damsel in a dress dress.

Blackduck Tue 16-Apr-13 11:04:08

MI - yes to the red number!

Wilbur - sorry to hear (we have escaped that - I hope)

Dp got me to work at 7.30 (ouch) and ds to school (pain au chocolat in hand) at 9.30.

DD - I hadn't watched it (on an iphone this morning), but can't get any sound on it so can't work out if I should be offended or not grin
Cremo - ha ha re emoticons - I want to know why envy shows up as a green heart on a phone!

Stropperella Tue 16-Apr-13 11:14:54

Is it time to move to Gransnet? grin It will be GreatGransNet by the time we get there..

Wilbur, sorry to hear about ds2 turning into Mr Spew - I'm sure his big brother is helping to feel a lot better. grin Hope the tables aren't turned anytime soon. Incubation period usually v. short, I think.

Oh, BD, that's too early and a rather harsh jolt to the system. Hope today goes smoothly.

Beachy, she stayed up too late last night revising for today's science mocks and was in a baaad frame of mind, stomping around at 11pm huffing about there being no point in going to bed "as I won't be able to sleep anyway". I think at this rate, it doesn't matter what grades she's been predicted/is allegedly capable of - she'll be lucky if she passes, given the state she gets herself into. Never mind, I'm sure things will all work out for the best eventually (she says, drawing up emigration plans for when the shit hits the fan).

motherinferior Tue 16-Apr-13 14:02:14

I need someone to go shopping with me grin I have spent FAR too much time trying to find dresses online. I shall ask for whatever frock it is from my parents as my birthday present...

Cremolafoam Tue 16-Apr-13 15:51:40

Going to have to be a good one MI !
Have you tried signing up to Dessipi ?
Quite a good site for sniffing out clothes for your shape- if you can be arsed filling in their form.
I have located a frock for my mums 70th do using it.
Also( --if you have time to fritter--)
shop style may be handy

I realise this is probably Not Helping.confused

hattymattie Tue 16-Apr-13 16:13:35

I'd love to MI but alas live too far away.

bigTillyMint Tue 16-Apr-13 16:42:15

MI, there's a Phase Eight in West Dul - am thinking of popping in myself on Sunday... Can't face going up West!

motherinferior Tue 16-Apr-13 16:49:17

Shall we?

motherinferior Tue 16-Apr-13 17:06:19

BTW Crepeys, I am slightly concerned...no, it's none of my business but a child in our road has been cycling up and down ALL DAY, yesterday and today. It may, of course, be that she goes to a school that hasn't started term yet...but if it goes on, should I say something?

<wuss>

CointreauVersial Tue 16-Apr-13 18:15:58

I'm loafing on the sofa enjoying a bit of peace and quiet, for once.

DM has gone home after a couple of days here, plumber has knocked off for the day, leaving a scattering of debris, but some impressively hot radiators, DH is somewhere below the English Channel en route from the Netherlands, the DDs are out rollerskating, and DS is......well, who cares? I'm watching trashy TV and eating chocolate.

Cremolafoam Tue 16-Apr-13 18:20:10

Age of child MI?
Is she on her own?
I'd maybe approach her with you own dc s in tow. Ask if she's ok? Casual like

rubyrubyruby Tue 16-Apr-13 18:29:48

<<checks register to see if any trainees are missing>>

Could still be on holiday MI. Some of our schools aren't back until tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now