Another dress advice, first post please be gentle!

(25 Posts)
cjel Sun 14-Apr-13 15:27:46

Yay for the sparkly thermals!!smile

viewwitharoom Sun 14-Apr-13 13:42:20

Thanks cjel. I haven't bought clothes for an 'occasion' for ages, am reasonably happy with work stuff or casual but it has been such a long time since I have looked for something like this.
I think I will go for the navy jumpsuit with sparkly stuff, but need to find shoes and some kind of wrap, shoulder coverage! Which I haven't found yet. May need thermals too, its freezing at the moment!

cjel Sun 14-Apr-13 12:20:40

if you'd feel better in it than a dress then don't let DH disuade you. When I stopped listening to my DH I started to get complements about things I'd chosen - like the bright red coat and above knee skirts!!I really don't think a lbd is what you want - go with your gut- and school prom won't be where you 'need' one any way. All the girls will be going for statement colours. Tell DH if he wants lbd to get one himself!!!

viewwitharoom Sun 14-Apr-13 10:18:16

I am seriously considering the jumpsuit but as per usual am rather daunted by putting together a whole outfit. Still undecided on navy or black too. My husband thinks I need a classic little black dress and wasn't too keen on the jumpsuit and whilst I don't usually care too much what he thinks, it has dented my confidence somewhat! Sighs

cjel Sat 13-Apr-13 20:51:49

Love the jumpsuit. I'd want to put lovely coloured shoes with it and maybe shrug?

viewwitharoom Fri 12-Apr-13 20:56:46

Just as I thought. Have quite a few things to look at and mull over. Will need to find some lower heeled sandals if I go for the navy jumpsuit as I don't think I can manage the ones you linked to! Just wish I could squeeze in a shopping trip south but it involves boats and/or planes and entire weekends which I don't have time for! Many thanks for all the suggestions!

FauxFox Fri 12-Apr-13 19:50:26

Fine with black, not so much with navy imo.

viewwitharoom Fri 12-Apr-13 19:46:24

low kitten heel sling back pointy toe type of thing!

FauxFox Fri 12-Apr-13 19:42:04

I think navy is quite chic for evening and a bit more forgiving on most skin tones...the black is lovely too though. You'd have to have a try on for leg length I expect but it looks nice and long on the model and they tend to be tall so hopefully OK? What sort of black shoes?

viewwitharoom Fri 12-Apr-13 19:30:45

Thank you again Fauxfox. Why would you go for the navy? I ask because I would have gone for the black as a safe choice! Should I worry about leg length on a jumpsuit and could I wear black shoes with the navy? Although the sparkly stuff appeals, especially the earrings! Thank you for your suggestions.

FauxFox Fri 12-Apr-13 19:18:53

Oh and i'd probably choose the navy jumpsuit instead of black.

FauxFox Fri 12-Apr-13 19:13:54

With the jumpsuit I would be tempted to go with gold sandals high or less high, dangly earrings and a load of bangles or a cuff.

viewwitharoom Fri 12-Apr-13 17:40:09

Thanks for the link, I will have a look these later tonight. I like the look of these but will need to be careful about sizing/measurements. I like the shape of the sweetpea dress.
The jumpsuit in the first link is also interesting but advice on shoes etc would be appreciated as I really do have problems putting outfits together, especially as I don't see things in the flesh, as it were until they arrive home. I have sent loads of things back in the past because I am disappointed with them when they arrive.

slug Fri 12-Apr-13 17:04:21

How about a Get Cutie dress?

viewwitharoom Fri 12-Apr-13 15:46:05

Budget around £250 max for the whole thing (and wouldn't mind a bargain as I hate spending money for work stuff, although there is a big family gathering later this year so could justify more if I could wear it there too!)
Shape, I am carrying weight at my waist but this is getting smaller as I am exercising more now. Quite busty 34F and curvy ( I don't think hourglass on account of flabby tum) Decent legs though and as I said broad shoulders with muscly arms. I think v rather than round neck would suit me best, but what do I know ....

slug Fri 12-Apr-13 15:28:09

I have a few LadyVLondon dresses. I tend to wear them with shoes like this

What's your budget and shape? I'm a swimmer so I sympathise about the shoulders and arms dilemma

viewwitharoom Fri 12-Apr-13 15:06:28

Thank you ggirl. The first is the sort of thing I have looked at, and then thought it looks like a lot of other dresses linked to on here. The second I like but am worried I am too old for it (and will look like I am trying too hard!) Really don't like the top half of the third one, sorry!

I am realising that I am fussy, but part of that is a lack of confidence because I don't do dressing up often at all. I need help with the whole thing really, shoes, jewellery, bag because I am clueless. I know I dismiss dresses because I dont know where to start with accessories.
And this is a works do but I don't want to show a lack of respect to my students, who have organised this themselves and for whom it s a big deal. Please keep the suggestions coming.

ggirl Fri 12-Apr-13 14:38:21
ggirl Fri 12-Apr-13 14:36:51
ggirl Fri 12-Apr-13 14:35:33
viewwitharoom Fri 12-Apr-13 14:32:12

thank you peachy pips, have ordered and sent back to Joe Browns as I was disappointed with the fit (I was too fat for the stuff I ordered!! ) Do like a bit of Gudrun but not sure if its dressy enough for the occasion if you see what I mean!

peachypips Fri 12-Apr-13 14:21:59

Try gudrunsjoden... They are quirky. Or Joe Browns...

viewwitharoom Fri 12-Apr-13 14:18:38

Thank you FauxFox. You are completely right about not wanting to wear anything like any of the students although they do tend to go the whole hog prom dress look. I hadn't thought of a jumpsuit at all but like the look. I guess I should go for a size 16, should I be concerned about leg length? I usually wear longer length trousers. Lovely shoes and jewellery, any suggestions if you can be bothered as I am clueless.

FauxFox Fri 12-Apr-13 14:08:33

If I were you I would be aiming for a very understated look - you absolutely do not want to end up wearing anything similar to any of your students! What about a jumpsuit with some lovely shoes and jewellery?

viewwitharoom Fri 12-Apr-13 13:58:25

I would be really grateful for advice from you wise ones here. I am a teacher (secondary) looking for a dress for our leavers prom in May. I have lost what little shopping habit I might have had, and live in a remote location so rely on online. I am 5 foot 8, size 16 on top, 14 bottom, mixed race, short dark hair green eyes. Quite broad shoulders and muscly arms which I don't like. I like a slightly quirky look but now mid 40s so am worried about looking mutton dressed as lamb. I like the look of the lady v dresses but worried about arm exposure and what shoes would suit. Thoughts, ideas and kick up the backside please!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now