Please come and tell me about your skincare routine!

(20 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Thu 11-Apr-13 22:12:16

...because till recently, I haven't really had one blush

I am now:

-removing make up with Simple wipes
-washing with Olay scrub/ wash
-toning with Simple toner
-moisturising with a bit of body lotion as I don't a proper nightcream

What should I be doing - that doesn't take 47 minutes and cost ££££? Advice appreciated!

TheYoniOfYawn Thu 11-Apr-13 22:19:37

I wah my face with avocado oil, honey and a muslin cloth, like this:
www.crunchybetty.com/honey-challenge

I moisturise with either a bit more avocado oil on damp skin, or Aldi moisuriser.

I use a clay face mask once a week.

My skin is very dry. If you have oilier skin, you night be better off with a different oil, eg grapeseed, sunflower or jojoba.

aftermay Thu 11-Apr-13 22:20:12

In light of recent threads in S&B perhaps a massage could be suggested at this stage. Makes the skin glow, North, South, East & West.

RevoltingPeasant Thu 11-Apr-13 22:23:04

I dunno may I'd be a bit wary of releasing my yoni. It might go on the prowl and never come back.

I can just see the AIBU threads from the neighbours grin

RevoltingPeasant Thu 11-Apr-13 22:24:06

Yoni hmm, mixture of interested and sceptical re: cleansing with oil - if anything, I have porous skin and a tendency to go a bit greasy - would this not exacerbate it?

izzysmydog Thu 11-Apr-13 22:53:30

I have always done the cleanse, tone moisturise routine
Started with Clinique - for years but dried my skin out too much in the end
Then when on to dermalogica - nice and gentle on your skin
Now using la Roche posey as recommended on here - so far so good, would say this is brilliant but what to use is a bit confusing, has certainly made my skin glow
And always use an eye cream

BinksToEnlightenment Fri 12-Apr-13 09:24:19

Mine is rubbing in soap and glory peaches and clean. Washing my eye makeup off with a really gentle aloe vera soap (I find soap the best for getting eye makeup off because I'm not scrubbing it to buggery to shift it. But I wear a lot of black eyeliner and thick mascara).

Still with me? grin

Then a normal flannel and hot water to exfoliate and wash it all off.

Then a serum on my forehead and cheeks, moisturiser all over but a different one depending on how spotty or dry I'm looking.

Then every few nights I pop an evening primrose oil capsule and give it a good massage in.

Then I sleep on a silk pillowcase to stop my face getting creased like an arse.

hortensemancini Fri 12-Apr-13 13:10:11

Emma Hardie cleansing balm, massaged in and polished off with a hot flannel
Soap & Glory Make Yourself Youthful super serum
LRP Anthelios or Avene Hydreance SPF30

In the evening, as above but with Liz Earle skin repair (no SPF so don't use it during the day) or Emma Hardie night cream. Keep meaning to get that Estee Lauder nightbtime serum but have so much other stuff to use up first...

wiltingfast Fri 12-Apr-13 13:32:46

I wash face with whatever cleanser I have, currently a rose one from boots Una someone or other. A bit smelly but seems gentle.

I have a muslin cloth which I run under hot water and press against my face a few times.

I then apply trilogy rose hip oil which is MIRACULOUS BUY IT IF YOU CAN!!!!!

Followed by currently trilogy replenishing night cream or avene moisturiser.

My skin is very dry what with the neverending bloody winter and all.

CMOTDibbler Fri 12-Apr-13 13:43:51

My current is using a microfibre cloth to wash my face using Boots facial wash, then Olay 7 in 1 with serum. My skin looks amazing since I started using the microfibre cloth.

RockinD Fri 12-Apr-13 13:45:27

Morning wash with Simple face wash, tone with Simple toner, moisturise with Olay Day Cream, the basic one but with SPF15. Night, remove makeup with Simple wipes, moisturise with Simple night cream.

57 and not a wrinkle in sight.

Lottapianos Fri 12-Apr-13 14:03:14

Evening: Oil Cleaning Method with coconut oil - rub in for a few minutes, then wipe off with warm wet flannel. Blast of Avene Eau Thermale water spray, then Superdrug Simply Pure serum, then thick layer of Astral cream. I have v dry skin.

Morning: wipe face and neck with rosewater on a cotton pad, then serum and moisturiser as at night time, leave for about 10 minutes, then make up. Always use foundation or BB cream with a high SPF

Drinking loads of water and eating fruit and veg also makes a huge difference to my skin.

missbopeep Fri 12-Apr-13 14:53:57

L'oreal Age perfect cleansing lotion
L'oreal eye make up remover

Splash with warm water and remove residue with cotton wool.

Moisturise with Olay Regenerist 3 point cream ( recent convert from Clinique and buy Olay on Amazon for half price)

Bedtime- as above but add Olay Regenerist Serum under the cream.

Once a week Clinique 7 day scrub

missbopeep Fri 12-Apr-13 14:54:43

oh and I use Clinique City Block spf 40 every day all year round under foundation.

Iseeall Fri 12-Apr-13 15:02:49

Both simple and olay do moisturisers so add one to your routine.
Routines can be very easy, cleanse tone moisturise or very complicated involving peels scrubs masks etc.
What is most important is that you do something and an easy basic routine like you have is good. Most importantly do it everyday, morning and night(no makeup removing in the morning) Keep it simple, people will recommend loads (I could) but it is important to start with something you can afford and can do.
In a nutshell, you are fine, carry on but add a facial moisturiser.

missbopeep Fri 12-Apr-13 15:19:11

Just to add- most make p and skin care experts will tell you to skip the toner- waste of money. It removes excess cleansers but so does warm water or even rose water from chemists.

'toner' is a misnomer- it doesn't do anything of the sort and is the biggest con out.

scarfaceace Fri 12-Apr-13 15:20:13

I think I must be incredibly lazy - I wash my face with soap and water and then moisturize my face and neck with whatever cream was on offer - it's currently a Nivea one that was half price at £4.10!

Delilahahaha Fri 12-Apr-13 15:34:41

I switch products quite a lot, as am a bit of a beauty product junkie, but the routine stays roughly the same.

Currently:

At night, remove most of my make-up and eye make-up with cheapo, fragrance free wipes - whatever is on offer, currently Superdrug ones.

Wash face with Nivea gentle foaming cleanser.

Moisturise with Clarins Blue orchid oil - lush, but pricey, and was a gift. Used to use Neals Yard rose oil and if it ran out, just plain coconut or sweet almond oil. I massage it into my face every night. Really keeps my dry skin soft.

Then dot some Boots perfect and protect eye serum under eyes (not convinced eye creams really work - have used so many and never noticed any difference!).

Morning -

I wash my face with Neutrogena's blackhead reducing face wash (very impressed with this) in the shower.

Moisturise currently with Boots protect and perfect serum, then SPF15 moisturiser.

I also use a tiny bit of Smashbox hydrating primer and then Clinique moisture surge tinted moisturiser - so loads of moistursing going on, but my skin needs it!

Exfoliate once a week with cheapo Aapri scrub (love the Clinique one, too, but thisis a good cheap alternative) and then use Boots Simply Sensitive face mask which is a super-cheap rip off of the Simple one.

Use Sunsense SPF 50 invisible tint sunscreen on top of moisturiser when its sunny.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 12-Apr-13 15:40:15

Ooooh thanks everyone!

bopeep I did wonder that about toner but tbh, since I've started using it I think my face looks better. I have hideous pores and it seems (??) to tighten them. <optimistic>

I think I will definitely get a nightcream then and maybe a microfibre cloth after my current Olay scrub runs out. It'll be good to try out different things though!

yy to fruit and water - need major kick up the arse here!

JonesH Wed 17-Apr-13 11:50:26

these are some great tips..I try not too exfoliate too much you should only do it once or twice a week, and always moisturise when coming out of a hot shower, because exposing your skin to dry cool weather after a hot shower can make your skin dry out so quickly and become rough and flaky. I don't use face wipes unless really necessary, for taking off a layer of makeup or mascara, but then I always use a face wash to deep cleanse. Then I apply a small amount of flash balm to my skin before bed and before applying any makeup. Just to help keep my skin looking a little more rejuvinated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now