Urgent help needed - I've aged!

(158 Posts)
chocolateshoes Thu 11-Apr-13 15:39:00

I really don't know what has happened but all of a sudden my face has aged. I've got lines everywhere, crazy eyebrows and a bit of a tache. My skin looks red and dry. Have just rung local beauticians for eyebrow wax but there's no answer - so hopeful I'll get booked in soon. What else can I do? Can anyone recommend a good moisturiser that won't break the bank? Any other tips? Have got to stop the rot!!!

Central heating is a killer and lack of vitamin d. It's been a long winter and it shows!

noddyholder Thu 11-Apr-13 16:45:51

Creams do work They can't resurface or de wrinkle but they can plump and give a glow which is lost on dry dehydrated skin. Botox is good for dynamic lines I have had it several times and am due again. But you grow used to your face with it and when it wears off you are bereft! Have seen real transformations with high % urea creams too.

chocolateshoes Thu 11-Apr-13 16:54:37

ok, central heating can go off now.

noddyholder Thu 11-Apr-13 17:01:51

Yes central heating is a killer! Anything really that removes moisture like alcohol or dry heat.

chocolateshoes Thu 11-Apr-13 17:38:13

eyebrow wax booked for tomorrow. Now need to look into sorting out my tache.

thelongandwindingroad Thu 11-Apr-13 17:40:01

Omega 3 and 6.

Two a day.

You will notice your skin improve really quickly, especially if it's dry.

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 11-Apr-13 17:43:38

I did the glycolic acid stuff last summer and it really made a difference and I must do it again.

Sweet almond oil is not very "plumpy". I have tried rosehip, sweet almond and argan, and the argan was the best. As an overnight moisturiser. I splashed out on Liz Earle superskin concentrate at Christmas but can't honestly say it was better than the £5 argan. (though it smelled nicer)

The moisturiser I go back to time and again is Neal's Yard Frankincense nourishing.

I would like to ask face gurus (where is Missfoodie these days, has she NC? I also miss MrsMartin) what serum is working for them right now as I feel I want a new one.

coreny Thu 11-Apr-13 17:54:59

I really liked the neal's yard frankincense as well and was thinking of going back to it
I have loads of stuff to use up though, including some truffle cream that's meant to be nice

LyonsDemesne Thu 11-Apr-13 17:56:28

I have started using Astral as a moisturiser after having used a succession of creams. Inclusive or Creme de la mer/ Liz earle superskin moisturizer and I find it just as good. Of course I got the recommendation from S&B.
I also did the GA peel from Bravura and found it fab !
I also bought a clarisonic and use it with Liz Earle hot polish cleanser and between that and my GA peel my skin is looking better than it has in years and even my local beautician has commented on it.
BTW I am also a young 43!
I would love to do something with the lines around my eyes but I would be nervous of botox and the frozen look !
I also get my eyebrows tidied once a month and I think that helps also !

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 11-Apr-13 17:57:23

I do the baaaa thing on S and B but always end up back with NY. (currently finishing some Elemis marine cream - which I love mainly for the smell)

NY Frankincense is good. I'm using Superdrug Vitamin E oil at night and finding it v good.

coreny Thu 11-Apr-13 18:02:07

the body shop vit E night cream has loads of rave reviews on the site, but I haven't tried it yet

coreny Thu 11-Apr-13 18:04:22

this is really good - have used it in the past and really liked it.

coreny Thu 11-Apr-13 18:07:45

also this is THE best thing for lines around your lips

greenfern Thu 11-Apr-13 18:17:26

Op a facial steam does the trick for me if my skin is looking uneven.

Unfortunately it does not make me look ten years younger. smile

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 11-Apr-13 18:23:13

Oh god, I'm going to start baaa ing again.

Coreny, eye cream recs? I used the barefoot botanicals one in the beauty bible last summer and while it was very nice, and I did see some improvement, it didn't wow me. At the moment I have the Elemis one Pro collagen yada yada and it has done diddley squat for £££££s.

This thread has motivated me to order a new batch of GA though.

LadyMountbatten Thu 11-Apr-13 18:26:47

get the brows TINTED too

and def wear make up!

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 11-Apr-13 18:31:40

Eating fat helps too I think so avocadoes, nuts, oily fish etc.

And water.

But so much of it is unfortunately genetic in my opinion.

chocolateshoes Thu 11-Apr-13 18:39:46

my brows are black so no need for tinting - at least that's one thing I've got going for me. I think I need to get into some sort of routine - monthy eyebrow wax, weekly (?) peel, ......

Eliza22 Thu 11-Apr-13 18:50:01

I'm 50. Good days.... I don't look it. Bad days, I look my age AND feel it!

I like red wine and chocolate. I'm buggered then, that what you're telling me?

Am contemplating Botox on my "11's". I do drink plenty of water and exercise 5 x a week but look crap now, without my makeup. (Pics on profile)

OP, there's good advice on this thread but expensive lotions and potions really are cosmetic. When it all comes off, at the end of the day, you're left with your genetic gifts from your parents. (Unless you smoke and sun worship!)

chocolateshoes Thu 11-Apr-13 19:08:09

i think that's why I'll have to investigate foundation as well as working on remedying my skin the best I can. Have just dug around in all my bottles and pots and found a Boots face mask so sitting here with that on!

Pollykitten Thu 11-Apr-13 19:21:35

my faves are Clarins facial oils, argan oil with added frankincense oil (anti ageing and age spots), home glycolic peels, fish oil & vit D supplements, no soap cleansing, good eyebrows - get a good pencil one shade lighter than brows to even out thin bits, & a light amount of foundation, also on backs of hands

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 11-Apr-13 20:08:40

Right. Have looked at Eliza's pics and want an exhaustive list of what she uses, when and how.

Am 2 yrs younger than she is and I look like her granny. Eliza, your skin looks a-may-zing.

chocolateshoes Thu 11-Apr-13 20:17:54

Have now put on Morroccan oil I usually use for my hair onto my post face-mask skin.

Witco Thu 11-Apr-13 20:23:02

Marking place! What on earth is baaaa?!!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now