Help with accessorising a grey dress please?

(17 Posts)
noddyholder Thu 11-Apr-13 07:17:11

Yellow if you really want a colour but grey on grey lovely and more stylish than a really vivid contrast which is a bit mother of the bridey

BanoffeeSplitz Wed 10-Apr-13 23:30:25

I love mustard, gold, deep orange with grey - though no idea if that would suit your colouring.

Anyway there's a logic to it - contrasting blue (grey) & orange. Plus if they are smallish accents, it's a way to be able to use colours that don't suit you. (Like wearing mustard tights or a belt to brighten an outfit, even though that same colour worn next to your face would make you look washed out.)

CarpeVinum Wed 10-Apr-13 23:09:09

This is an example of cool winter pallette scroll down a bit to see it

Anything jump out at you ?

I wanted to be a winter. I love those strong jewel colours. envy But they crap on me.

If I had your season I would be going purple mad.
<may have queen complex>

Yes to yellow. Could do shoes and bag, if no good near your face.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 10-Apr-13 22:56:38

I was going to say yellow. Yellow looks lovely with grey. smile

ELR Wed 10-Apr-13 22:56:29

Teal looks good with grey

ELR Wed 10-Apr-13 22:54:23

If you are winter then electric blue is your colour and looks good with grey. If you want an in colour yellow is very now and can be worn with grey.

olivertheoctopus Wed 10-Apr-13 22:50:52

I like grey with duck egg/pale green

What about adding some purple? Might be a bit less full on 'girly' than pink?

Bright pink is deffo not girly. Am thinking more this colour than anything delicate. smile

poppyinthemiddle Wed 10-Apr-13 22:28:19

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm not really a pink person, I'm not sure if the colour is meant to suit me but I'm not a natural girly girl atall - also freakishly tall and straight up and down, no curves but not in any sense of an elegant or willowy classical way, so a very feminine delicate look is not something I easily pull off!

I'll try and find a pic online, its not 'current' as came 2nd hand via fleabay a while back. I'd describe it as a light to mid grey. Its got a deep V front and back, cinched at waist and the skirt section has some movement to it.

Occasions are a 30th and an engagement party, both drink/dance/buffet type functions.

Love grey silk with grey wool, or tweed. Have you got a link to the dress? What are the occasions?

tigerdriverII Wed 10-Apr-13 22:12:20

Was going to say "anything but pink!" Not helpful. What sort of grey is it? I wear a lot of grey and don't really feel I need to break it up, but I would wear different shades together, eg v light, v dark, a silvery scarf. You could have really jazzy shoes, red or multicolour, or boots and coloured tights, depending on the dress.

I second bright pink to go with grey. I think it looks fab

Don't know about the whole colour thing but I think grey looks brilliant with bright pink.

poppyinthemiddle Wed 10-Apr-13 21:56:44

Hoping someone here can help! Been lurking and discovered the idea of 'getting colours done' on here - have to admit I at first scoffed thinking 'thats only for Bridgets Mum' - then decided on reading many posts to get it done - as I've never been fashionable or good with clothes, I always feel awkward whatever I wear and looks never appear how I envisaged them once put on me. Anyway, what a revelation! The colours I'm suited to (cool winter) are ones I have always leaned towards buying, but have tried other colours thinking i couldnt have a wardrobe that was entirely blue/purple - no wonder I looked so rough/felt uncomfortable!
So firstly a HUGE thanks to all for this revelation!

Anyway! I'm after a little colour advice as its a learnig curve - having never been a girly girl or fashionable shopper!

I have a lovely grey Zara dress that I havent got around to wearig out but I love the way it sits on me. I have two possible smart occasions coming up in the next few weeks but I wondered if there was a colour suitable to me that would also 'jazz up' a plain grey cotton dress, so it looks a bit more spring/summer and party worthy? Thinking bright block belt, jewellery or clutch, but have no idea what colour would work best for me.

Thank you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now