I need foundation

(40 Posts)
WipsGlitter Tue 09-Apr-13 20:11:01

My low maintenance powder only approach isn't working anymore. I think I need to use a foundation. But I hate anything that feels thick, or wet or oily on my skin. I need a light coverage and have pale skin.

Any recommendations?

3littlefrogs Thu 11-Apr-13 16:36:30

XBenedict

Try diluting the foundation with lots of moisturiser wen you get to your jawline and blend it towards your neck. You shouldn't put foundation on your neck as the skin usually is a different colour. I read somewhere that models use a different colour on the outside of their face from the middle IYSWIM. However, that sounds like a bit of a faff to me.

Allthingspretty Thu 11-Apr-13 16:11:02

I got a sample of this m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Estee-Lauder-Invisible-Fluid-Makeup_1251811/ yeserday and ao dar so good. I dont feel like i am cakes in makeup and feel comfortable wearing it and the shade is perfect

XBenedict Thu 11-Apr-13 15:53:24

Some great recommendations on here. Thanks OP for starting this thread. My problem is that my face is a bit freckly. Even the lady in Boots struggled to find the right foundation as whatever she put on my face didn't blend with my neck and and if she matched my neck my face was too pale. Anyone else have this problem and if you do how do you get around it?

Iwantmybed Thu 11-Apr-13 15:47:44

I'm no expert with foundation as I've only just started using it myself. I don't like a thick heavy oily layer either. Id recommend using a foundation brush though as you can add it lightly and blends really smoothly.

floatyflo Thu 11-Apr-13 15:39:44

Another vote for wake me up by Rimmel here!

Gives a lovely glow, nice coverage and lasts for ages too.

HesterShaw Wed 10-Apr-13 21:43:25

Thanks. I was just wondering whether I should start thinking about it. Powder just doesn't cut it any more! I simply look chalky.

WipsGlitter Wed 10-Apr-13 21:03:40

hester just really uneven skin tone, red veins round nose etc. looks ok with a sweep of powder but only for a while.

fuckitybollocks Wed 10-Apr-13 16:44:21

Thanks 3. I had kind of worked out that a pink face equated to cool but did not believe myself! In what world does pink = cool and yellow warm!

justthewayiam Wed 10-Apr-13 16:15:20

Hi I too hate the feeling of foundation on my face. For years now I have used this and never feel like im wearing make up. After my usual face cleanse I put on a light moisturiser then I apply Clinique superpowder with a kabuki brush over the top. It covers flaws and uneven skin tone beautifully and I dont feel like a woman wearing a mask. Hope it works for you too. By the way just discovered they do a nice undereye concealer for dark shadows too which is pretty good. Im 52 with pale skin.

I've just bought Soap And Glory The Fairest Of Them All which is v pale and light.

Sugarice Wed 10-Apr-13 15:43:33

By Terry Cover Expert is brilliant.

HesterShaw Wed 10-Apr-13 15:38:34

What made you decide you needed foundation, if you don't mind me asking?

3littlefrogs Wed 10-Apr-13 15:33:26

Sorry, my grammar is appalling, but I hope you get the gist.

3littlefrogs Wed 10-Apr-13 15:32:39

Pink undertone = cool
Yellow undertone = warm.

If you suit colours like cool blues,plum,blue grey, navy,white,soft lilac, silver jewellery,you probably look better with a cool based foundation.

If you suit brown, gold, autumn colours, peach, coral, olive green, you probably need a warm foundation.
HTH

fuckitybollocks Wed 10-Apr-13 08:17:36

I am confused. I have a pink face. Warm foundations look grey on me and cool look better. The warm and cool description is taken from the bottle or manufacturer. Is this because cool ones counteract the pinkness? Or dies having a pink face mean I am cool? I know this is totally counterintuitive but it somehow fits with stuff I have read. How is skin tone labelled and worked out?

doubleshotespresso Wed 10-Apr-13 00:43:30

Clinique city block might be a good option for you? Lightweight and with a good SPF..... And gives a great boost to the skin and evens out skintone well.

kingbeat23 Wed 10-Apr-13 00:41:54

Am going to jump on the bandwagon for this one!

Am skint-o but need a new foundation, have eye bags that you could carry your big shop home in and am finally facing the fact that I am, indeed getting older and any old bollocks doesn't quite cut it!

Anyone? (Tia op!)

TheonlyWayisGerard Tue 09-Apr-13 23:53:25

I second the Rimmel wake me up stuff. It's fab. Doesn't feel like you're wearing foundation at all. Cheap too. I am deathly pale, and it goes light enough not to make me orange.

EllenParsons Tue 09-Apr-13 23:48:05

NARS sheer glow!

JumpHerWho Tue 09-Apr-13 22:43:52

Oh or Bourjois Healthy Mix serum is very light and lovely.

JumpHerWho Tue 09-Apr-13 22:43:13

Benefit Oxygen Wow or YSL Touché Eclat. Important to know if you want pink or yellow tones - I think yellow is much more flattering for most.

MikeLitoris Tue 09-Apr-13 22:33:48

Ive just got the benefit oxygen wow one and I have to say it is very good.

I thought it was going to be too light for me but it is just right.

I need good coverage but nothing to heavy as I have bad skin and hate it feeling clogged in make up.

I do sometimes use the rimmel wake me up and that is brill too.

ZacharyQuack Tue 09-Apr-13 22:29:40

I love NARS Sheer Glow or Clinique Moisturesheer. Lisa Eldridge has a new series of videos on her website talking about how to chose foundation, and recommending the best ones based on skin type and tone.

WipsGlitter Tue 09-Apr-13 22:24:51

Interesting, I use the by terry concealer.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 09-Apr-13 22:16:19

By Terry, the sheer one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now