Tooth implant

(8 Posts)
ExRatty Tue 09-Apr-13 11:40:49

I have a missing molar.
I think I want to get an implant.
I don't have any fillings etc and dentist has said it makes no sense to bridge and damage the adjoining teeth

Does anyone have one? Is it worthwhile?

Should I get it done abroad...oooooo?

MrsMorton Tue 09-Apr-13 11:46:01

They are excellent when done on the right person by the right person. I wouldn't have it done abroad as you will be left up a creek if anything goes wrong and you're here. I won't touch implants with a bargepole unless they have been done by the dentist I refer people to and I tell my patients that I won't take any responsibility for them over and above what my hygienist will do (scale and polish with special instruments).

Have you asked your dentist about it? They will have a recommendation I'm sure.

EldritchCleavage Tue 09-Apr-13 11:48:09

My Father has one. It is amazing, you can't tell it isn't a real tooth. He had it done here, no problems with it at all. So I think it is worth it in the hands of a good dentist. I know nothing about treatment abroad but am instinctively wary of it.

ExRatty Tue 09-Apr-13 12:05:30

I had a consultation abroad for a nobel biocare implant.
It's less than half price and would be fitted by a very highly trained dentist

havvering

MrsMorton Tue 09-Apr-13 12:10:09

Nobel biocare is a well known manufacturer. One of the issues is that the different systems all have different tools which are eyewateringly expensive. If you go overseas or far away and you have a problem, your local dentist/implant dude may well not have the correct tool and can't really be expected to buy one just for you IYSWIM. What was the problem with the consultation you had or are you just doing some due diligence?

Where abroad? I would be happy having treatment in USA, Canada, Germany, Australia.

What are the qualifications of the dentist? What is their cross infection control policy? Does it match up to HTM01-05 that we use in the UK?

What makes me laugh is the pictures of cheap dentistry 'abroad' where they have pictures with captions like 'the highest standards' and the pictures show a dentist with bare hands examining a patient. Dentists in the UK would get struck off for that.

MrsMorton Tue 09-Apr-13 12:10:52

Ah, just re-read your post. Less than half price of what and what is a very highly trained dentist?

ExRatty Tue 09-Apr-13 12:23:38

I had a consultation in Serbia

they use a maxillo facial surgeon for the entire process alongside a dentist. They use both because of something to do with ensuring the placement of the initial implant is optimal.

It sounds as though I'll need to get a consultation here and then decide

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now