Ear piercing for 6 to 9 months old daughter

(231 Posts)
blueblackdye Mon 08-Apr-13 21:53:45

I'd like to have my daughter's ears pierced between 6 and 9 months of age. Could anyone recommend where to go in Cental London ?

FriggFRIGG Tue 09-Apr-13 00:12:12

Urr,have you not been on a circumcision thread then thepig ?

Because they tend to go the same way as this has,except with more links to YouTube.

I don't understand why anyone would do anything to purposely mutilate and inflict pain on their baby without a medical reason.

'Religion' and 'culture' as reasons simply don't wash with me.

thepig Tue 09-Apr-13 00:24:27

Haha no I haven't!

I was talking about society in general really.

No reputable piercer will pierce a babies ears. I'm sure places like Claire's Accessories will. If you are looking purely at aesthetics, one reason to wait until they are older is because your ears grow, and so the piercing can end up in a rather strange place when the child grows up. Obviously numerous other non-aesthetic reasons not to pierce a baby.

ProtegeMoi Tue 09-Apr-13 00:33:59

You want recomendations on the best place to painfully make holes in your baby for the sake of fashion? Try netmums

nailak Tue 09-Apr-13 00:49:24

Here there are plenty of places which are used to doing it! I wouldn't say go to Claires, go to a jewellers! an Asian jewellers.

nailak Tue 09-Apr-13 00:50:15

There are many reputable piercers which do.

SLallu Tue 09-Apr-13 01:06:41

I have a friend who is also looking ... good luck . I dont understand why there so many judgmental women on this thread . you were simply asking for a recommendation, i hope you find somewhere you are happy with.

SavoyCabbage Tue 09-Apr-13 01:33:14

I don't think you have a right to pierce somebody's ears.

My MIL had my DH's ears pierced when he was a baby and you can still see the little mark. He says he feels like a twat when he's at work and people notice them.

Having his ears pierced would have never ever been something he would have chosen to do. It's not him at all.

spiritedaway Tue 09-Apr-13 01:37:37

Dunno. . try the north east. Anywhere in darlo i should think.

Fanjounchained Tue 09-Apr-13 08:36:11

No but I can recommend a good place for a tattoo grin

I appreciate this is the norm in some cultures......so is female circumcision...

DoctorAnge Tue 09-Apr-13 08:57:26

The strep bacteria lives on the skin but when there is a break from piercing or an open wound will just eat away at the soft tissue. It's awful. Absolutely sod all to do with washing or keeping clean!

Disgusting that anyone would even consider to this, and as for likening it to inoculations? Surely no-one could be that ignorant.

I mean, really, what is the point? Why do you want to make your tiny baby endure unnecessary discomfort so she can have sparkly things in her ears? I actually literally cannot get my head around it...

buttercrumble Tue 09-Apr-13 10:05:33

Thats appalling it should be your dds choice when shes old enough..

I had mine done when I was 6.

It really hurt. I remember the pain to this day. The throbbing and swelling went on for a while, definitely more than a week, I'd say. And my mum was very careful with keeping them clean. The infections can be really nasty.

OP, just leave it a while, until she's a bit older, so that you can talk it through with her. She is 100% perfect as is.

Does anyone else suspect this is a Journo trying to get proof that we are all angry / judgey women as per AH / Jeremy Vine thread yesterday ?

Maybe I am too cynical.

Do what you want OP. If you ask questions about piercing babies ears you will naturally get varying responses....--and be prepared for flaming--

Have a biscuit

BabsAndTheRu Tue 09-Apr-13 10:19:19

Totally agree with Northumberlandlass.

Blatherskite Tue 09-Apr-13 10:24:08

I would guess that the inoculations question was more so that the saturday girl with a gun piercer knew if the child had received it's tetanus jab to protect it from infection than likening the pain of the procedures.

curiousgeorgie Tue 09-Apr-13 10:25:01

If this is real then please don't do this to your baby.

Aside from pain / health reasons it just looks so bloody awful on babies and toddlers.

Want to be judged wherever you go with your child? Then do it.

hairtearing Tue 09-Apr-13 10:25:22

I'm not gonna tear you a new one like I imagine some people have,

But I don't think its a good idea main point it is really dangerous, choking, swallowing pricking themselves on sharp objects.

Plus I don't like how it looks.I think wait until your child comes to you asking for piercings.

shrimponastick Tue 09-Apr-13 10:34:49

ugh. sad

If it were up to me it would be against the law for any child to have their ears/any body part pierced under the age of 14 when they can make their own decision about their body being deliberately injured.

Yes, I am judgey.

JazzDalek Tue 09-Apr-13 10:42:19

I don't get why anyone would do this. Just don't get it. I mean what is the actual reason? What is the benefit to the baby? It is totally, totally unnecessary and IMO we don't have the right as parents to alter our children's bodies in this way. I would say exactly the same thing about circumcision as I find that abhorrent.

They're people, not objects confused

I had mine pierced at 11 - it hurt like hell (a gun was used, which I have heard is the worst way to pierce things) and I let the holes close up after a couple of months as I just didn't feel it was worth it.

Amazingly, I have lived my whole life without decorations hanging from my ears, and I am fine. It's not a necessity.

Blatherskite:

LovelyMeredith Mon 08-Apr-13 23:05:53
To some of the people saying that she "shouldn't be inflicting pain on her child"...

Wouldn't technically having your child inoculated against measles and mumps be "inflicting pain"? People ought to stop being so judgmental.

madoldbird Tue 09-Apr-13 10:49:21

In the part of South America where we lived, the boys were circumcised before they left hospital, and the girls had their ears pierced. DD could be dressed head to toe in pink, and people would assume that she was a boy, because she didn't have her ears pierced.

Now, I'm not debating the rights and wrongs of this, but just stating that that was the norm there, indeed, what was expected. No doubt many thought we were odd to not conform. So please bear in mind that what may not be a choice for some, is perfectly acceptable to others.

OP I would suggest research into which areas near you may have a higher proportion of people with a cultural background where this is usual (south america eg, but i'm sure there are many others) and look for a jeweller in that area.

Booyhoo Tue 09-Apr-13 10:50:43

dont pierce her ears OP

pierce her nose.

Yeah, go for it OP, babies are positively ugly without Claires shiny lobes smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now