Ear piercing for 6 to 9 months old daughter

(231 Posts)
blueblackdye Mon 08-Apr-13 21:53:45

I'd like to have my daughter's ears pierced between 6 and 9 months of age. Could anyone recommend where to go in Cental London ?

If you pierced a cat's ears you would be arrested for cruelty. How is doing it to a baby who can't say no any different?

I don't care that it's the 'norm' in some cultures. Doesn't make it right. It used to be the 'norm' to burn old women for being witches.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 08-Apr-13 23:02:07

It doesn't work like that OP, you can't just decide that you don't like the responses.

Gorjuss - in this instance, there is absolutely the need to get personal.

Twentytotwo Mon 08-Apr-13 23:04:24

I love MN.

LovelyMeredith Mon 08-Apr-13 23:05:53

To some of the people saying that she "shouldn't be inflicting pain on her child"...

Wouldn't technically having your child inoculated against measles and mumps be "inflicting pain"? People ought to stop being so judgmental.

DuttyWine Mon 08-Apr-13 23:06:52

Claire's accessories do it for very young babies, I was getting my dds redone there and the lady waiting after me had a baby and the shop assistant asked if she had had her immunisations. The baby looked around 6 months. I didn't hang around to see it being done so I don't know how the baby reacted. A lot of my colleagues who are Asian have their daughters ears done as babies and they say they hardly cry and iv never heard of their babies getting infections or pulling them out. They don't have studs though they have tiny Creoles with safety catch things on. My dd (who is 9) prefers her little hoops as she says they are comfier to sleep in.

KatoPotato Mon 08-Apr-13 23:06:56

Comparable with vaccinations? Seriously? Can we use the rule if proportionality here?

VelvetSpoon Mon 08-Apr-13 23:09:23

It is each to their own.

I would do it.

I understand other people wouldn't, for whatever reason.

The difference is I wouldn't feel the need to be unpleasant about it.

Although now we've had a reference to FGM, I can predict the way the thread is heading...

Twentytotwo Mon 08-Apr-13 23:09:54

grin Yes, because preventing your child from getting an illness that can cause serious illness and possibly death is exactly like having holes put in their ears so you can put shiny metal in them.

Stepissue Mon 08-Apr-13 23:10:10

Innocculations - PROS - reduce threat of child dying/serious illness
CONS - Pain of jab

Ear piercing - PROS - ermm, makes baby more 'beautiful' hmm
CONS - Pain/infection/risk of pulling out/tearing etc

It is not hard. Jesus.

furbaby Mon 08-Apr-13 23:10:25

Omg why would you want to do this sad
Well if you want your baby to look all chav ed up buy it some burberry don, t disfigure it let the child make its own choice when its older
For the love of god why why why and bloody why

Likesshinythings Mon 08-Apr-13 23:10:40

I thin comparing piercing to vaccinations is somewhat facetious. As far as I am aware, earrings do not save lives (I would be happy to be corrected on this point if there has been a new discovery in this area)

Likesshinythings Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:15

think not thin.

Rhianna1980 Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:38

I definitely agree it is a cultural thing. All girls where I come from have their ears pierced within 2 months of them being born. Someone else mentioned that as well earlier in this thread; it's done in Spain and Italy...
The earnings I have seen are very far from looking tacky or chavvy.
It is a personal choice.
However, having earrings can be a hazard for young ones. It is a tricky one. It is totally up to the patents ...

Stepissue Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:55

I think the reason people are 'unpleasant' about it hmm is that you are inflicting pain on a baby FOR NO REASON.

That's quite a strange urge to have.

DoctorAnge Mon 08-Apr-13 23:14:27

A friend of mine had her ears pierced at around 13 m. She contracted a strep infection in them Which literally ate away at her earlobes. She is permanently disfigured now and needless to say wishes her Mother didn't make this "choice" for her.

Don't do it OP.

Twentytotwo Mon 08-Apr-13 23:16:37

Countries where it's considered normal to have babies ears pierced tend to have places that are very used to doing that. Here your options are do it yourself or have a shop assistant do it with an earring gun at Claire's Accessories.

VelvetSpoon Mon 08-Apr-13 23:16:45

If the ears are cleaned properly they won't get infected (tbh the younger the child is the better - most of my friends who had theirs done as teens never bothered cleaning them because they couldn't be bothered, and got all kinds of infections). With the right earrings if they are pulled on it won't rip the earlobe.

If it's done properly, the pain lasts a second or two, less time than an injection.

olgaga Mon 08-Apr-13 23:18:58

All had tiny sleepers, not studs. They can't get caught and if they are pulled, the earring just opens and falls out.

That's not true, they can tear if they are caught, especially in the early stages. It's just easier than removing first studs!

OP, please bear in mind you would be taking a risk until your baby has had all her DTP vaccines (which includes tetanus).

Don't forget that some people simply cannot sustain ear piercings because of allergic reactions, even to gold.

I'm a fan of pierced ears, have had them done herself. But I would never have decided for my own DD to have them done. She went through a stage of feeling like she "should" have them done around 8 years old when many of her friends did. I asked her to wait, and promised her that if she still wanted to I'd be happy to arrange it at the start of her summer holiday before secondary school.

That's come and gone and she hasn't bothered. There's plenty of other jewellery to wear! Ask yourself whether you have the right to decide this for her, or whether it would be better to let her make a personal decision about what she wants done to her own body.

Stepissue Mon 08-Apr-13 23:19:22

But an injection is for a reason surely? I just don't get it confused

Off to bed, night all smile

Twentytotwo Mon 08-Apr-13 23:19:27

Not true. Lots of infections come from bacteria that happily live on our skin suddenly having an open wound to get into.

shock & angry

Devora Mon 08-Apr-13 23:24:36

It's not to my taste, but I'm pretty bemused by the reactions on this thread. It's only pierced ears...

SirBoobAlot Mon 08-Apr-13 23:30:42

Why would you willingly hurt your child in the name of 'fashion'?

It's her body - they are her ears. Let her make the decision.

I have several friends who had their ears pierced as babies. Not only do several of them have issues (growths on the back of the ears are always a risk especially when the ear hasn't finished growing) but it took away their choice. Even by taking them out once they had the decision to do so, they still have the scars on their ears.

No decent piercing place will do babies.

Twentytotwo Mon 08-Apr-13 23:35:45

It's what you're used to I suppose. If someone came on asking where to get their baby's nose pierced you might find it more shocking as that isn't something that's commonly done in the UK. There isn't really any difference. I have had plenty of piercings and they hurt. The ones done with an earring gun more than those done with a needle. The initial pain is more shock but the throbbing ache over the next few days, the pain if you catch one, isn't something I'd want a baby to go through.

thepig Tue 09-Apr-13 00:01:25

Hope everyone outraged has never had a ds circumcised!

Don't support piercing at all, but constantly amazed that this kind of reversible thing generates outrage...yet no one bats an eyelid when the state allows parents to actually mutilate their children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now