teeth whitening

(53 Posts)
appletarts Mon 08-Apr-13 21:27:34

Has anyone done a teeth whitening home kit? I'm a bit worried because a friend did her's and they look tip-exed. Does anyone have a recommendation please?

doziedoozie Mon 30-Jun-14 18:25:42

I had mine done by the dentist. You have a mold made and squirt in the bleach. I just carried on as normal with the mold in my mouth eg watching tv, doing housework, but would spit out the saliva regularly. An hour a day for 10 days.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 30-Jun-14 18:17:07

Nooo. Don't bleach yourself!
I have mine done every six months or so by a lovely lady who does a couple of salons and home visits. Using non bleach gel and a lamp. As I'm a red wine fan my teeth slightly discolour in between. I see quite impressive results each time. And no soreness or sensitivity. £50. I'm really happy with it. So are a few friends.

Goldenears83 Mon 30-Jun-14 18:07:49

Hi all

Rather than pay extortionate Dentists prices I chose to take the DIY route after I had checked with my Dentist that my teeth were suitable for bleaching.

First I purchased a self impression kit.

I watched video tutorials on YouTube on how to take the correct impressions.

I purchased Philips ZOOM! DayWhite ACP 14% to use in my trays. This bleach is professional quality and professional strength.

Hope this helps.

hiphapnap Fri 27-Jun-14 11:28:01

I did mine myself, Here is a post I did on how to do it for under £50. You need to be careful though and not cut corners.

relaxedchic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/how-to-whiten-your-own-teeth-for-under.html#.U61HBBaKTTY

I had my teeth whitened at bow lane dental practise in London. I was thrilled with the results and paid for trays to be made that were moulded to my teeth so I could do at-home treatments. All well and good til I had the bright idea to sterilize them in baby's bottle sterilizer. I opened the lid to plastic gloop hmmhmmhmm

Mummyoftheyear Tue 24-Sep-13 23:15:33

I
Bought the dentist one. They made me trays to fit my mouth. Brilliant and can be used again and again in the future too

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 24-Sep-13 23:05:34

I had trays and bleach from a dentist about 13 yrs ago . Like the previous poster I couldn't complete as it was too painful.
I find Whitestrips cause pain as well.
I now have a kit waiting for me to make the impression and send away for the trays - cost about£100 and the gel is supposed to be a weaker % for sensitivity. Keep putting it off though as I'm chicken!

AngieM2 Tue 24-Sep-13 22:00:37

I had mine done about 2.5 yrs ago. Got trays and bleach from dentist. Paid about £100 but that was mate rate as my sister worked there. I've repeated it once since then but really I found it is extremely painful and my teeth are so sensitive that its almost impossible to do. (My friend had the same at another dentist and they gave her her money back as she couldn't complete the treatment)

Jimhedrick82 Tue 24-Sep-13 09:07:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

babySophieRose Wed 10-Apr-13 11:10:33

How much whither you want to go? I am using Janina ultra white toothpaste before bed and Sonicare electric toothbrush with great results, very natural looking white teeth.

MostFamousMonkey Wed 10-Apr-13 10:08:09

Just wanted to add that by having your dentist make the trays and applying the gel yourself at home which is what I did, you do have quite a bit of control over the level of whiteness you get. It's gradual and you can see each day how it's progressing. Therefore no Tippex look here!

Great thank you all. It's a bit more than I was looking to pay but I'll ask next time I'm there and see what they can offer me.

babybarrister Colombia Tue 09-Apr-13 17:05:40

yes it is Wyman Chan. seems he is offering discounts in times of austerity ....!

ATouchOfStuffing Tue 09-Apr-13 17:05:30

Eeek. Won't be doing that then! Thanks.

MrsMorton Tue 09-Apr-13 17:01:54

A nurse of mine tried to use her retainer but because it didn't have any space for the gel, it just squeezed out onto her gums and gave her chemical burns. She got the gel from a friend and it was far too strong...

Whiter, you won't look silly, if they give you a quote that's too much just say, ooh that's more than I wanted to pay but I obviously want to avoid getting it done illegally at Bluewater. You might be surprised at the outcome, especially if you're a regular attender. The practice I worked at where we did bleaching (I don't do it very often now) would give regular good attenders "special offers".

Whiter: I'm not in London but would have thought £200-350. You won't look silly for asking about it and then deciding not to go ahead, whatever the reason.

ATouch: I doubt it. Whitening trays don't cover the gums and usually have reservoirs in which to put the gel. Either way, you would need to by the gel from a dentist and they would be unethical to sell it to you without checking your trays fit correctly first.

I'm in London. I haven't been to the dentist for a while. Due my annual check up soon and will ask. Just wondering how much it would roughly cost as don't want to ask and look silly if it's completely out of my price range.

Thanks for all the great advice on here smile

ATouchOfStuffing Tue 09-Apr-13 16:44:17

For the dentists: I have a retainer made for me (had invisible braces a couple of years ago) - can I use these as the trays with a whitening product? How do you ensure it stays off gums?
Sorry to hijack!

BabyBarrister: is the smile studio you are thinking of using Wyman Chan's place? I've seen him give talks on tooth whitening at conferences so I'd say he'd be a good person to go to.

Whiter: where in the country are you? Have you asked your dentist if they do whitening or if they can recommend someone who does?

At first glance that looks ok, have you looked him up on the GDC website? I would go for the cheapest option as IMO (and I stand ready to be corrected by another dentist) the ipower type things are just a gimmick and you get the trays anyway. I haven't read anywhere that heating the gel is any faster or longer lasting etc than just gel at body temperature.

I completely agree with this. Go for tray whitening from a dentist, don't bother with in surgery power whitening.

I have aregular NHS dentist.

MrsMorton Tue 09-Apr-13 16:20:03

I had a look and he is although his website misses out a couple of the things that the GDC say are mandatory, maybe you could point them out to him and get a discount... wink

babybarrister Colombia Tue 09-Apr-13 16:18:03

he is certainly a qualified dentist though I shall check he is still registered with the GDC!

MrsMorton Tue 09-Apr-13 15:20:19

At first glance that looks ok, have you looked him up on the GDC website? I would go for the cheapest option as IMO (and I stand ready to be corrected by another dentist) the ipower type things are just a gimmick and you get the trays anyway. I haven't read anywhere that heating the gel is any faster or longer lasting etc than just gel at body temperature. I think you might get the hard sell but you can stand up for yourself (being a babybarrister wink ).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now