If u live in the country, what do you wear?

(25 Posts)
daimbardiva Tue 09-Apr-13 12:23:36

I pretty much live in skinny jeans and boots of some description - even in the summer time where we live it can be quite wet, and even getting to the car involves negotiating some mud, so my lovely collection of ballet pumps/heels are kept strictly for outings into town. I wear a down coat in the winter, and a down gilet for spring/autumn (it's a nice one though, and possible to style up with scarves etc).

Boots range from biker type to ankle boots to wellies to snow boots...

On the whole, I don't find my style is a world away from friends who live a similarly active lifestyle in town. I do actually wear a lot less black than I used to, but hadn't really considered the reasons why!

middleagedspread Tue 09-Apr-13 10:21:03

I live in wellies in the winter ( navy Hunters) but I did see some on the tube last week. Not worn down & caked in muck though.
grin

BerryBlast Tue 09-Apr-13 09:57:35

I wear same as everyone else, but, a couple of good hats are handy - the wind really blows across fields (seems to be permanently windy in Worcestershire at the moment). I found a long down coat really handy, mine is from Landsend.
Majority of people wear non branded wellies and also good walking boots are handy as field and tracks can be bumpy and a bit "pot-holed" (usually from horse hooves on the shared bridleways/public right of ways).
High Viz jackets for all the family are a must as there isn't normally street lighting and walking around (to a neighbours/dog walking) can be dangerous on dark nights - a good head torch is always handy, too.

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Apr-13 08:42:02

Blue skinny jeans. Fit in wellies, show less crap, go with everything.

soapandhorny Tue 09-Apr-13 02:55:31

Sorry, naice not naive.

soapandhorny Tue 09-Apr-13 02:55:11

OK so we are talking West Essex. So are we talking truly posh or naive with extensions. When I was last there, I saw a bit of both.

Bouncey Mon 08-Apr-13 21:54:22

Brora fab and well worth the investment - last forever and can be washed in a delicate cycle in the washing machine. Less sold on my dubarry boots which I don't personally find that comfortable (the leather seems to dig in at the ankle).

Crew clothing is another good brand. Some sheepskin might also be worth investment- some lovely gilets and boots at celtic sheepskin.

KristinaM Mon 08-Apr-13 19:43:47

I should have added that if you are in the truly posh country, being scruffy is fine and normal. Trying too hard will make you a laughing stock.

If you are in the naice , would be posh country, I believe it is de rigeur to have coiffured hair, nail extensions and mock country clothes

KristinaM Mon 08-Apr-13 19:40:17

LOL at matching dog to clothes

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 08-Apr-13 18:37:29

YY to black clothes not being practical when you have animals or is surrounded by mud!

I love black and only wear it when I am away from home (and change as soon as I get back).

Sonotkylie Mon 08-Apr-13 18:00:09

Same as everyone else in the main. However, I would say you only need to have a very warm long coat (very very warm) as stylish as you can find and knee length boots (think classic flat boots with thermal insoles if necessary) as that's all anyone sees. Under that wear whatever you like! I could wear pyjamàs under mine and no one would know (except I would probably turn blue with cold). Knee length boots are essential because it stops dogs laddering your tights/ leggings, and they mean you don't get the mud from the side of your car on your tights/ jeans etc where its harder to brush off. You can spend lots on your winter coat and boots because you economise by not needing summer clothes (if its really hot, you can live in a swimsuit in the garden!).
I wear black as I have a black labrador. Always match your dog to predominant wardrobe colour. Then you only have to deal with the mud.

teta Mon 08-Apr-13 15:59:22

I still wear black but go out covered in golden spaniel hairs.Yes ,forgot to say that Joules,Seasalt and White Stuff/Boden are the height of fashion here.As are green coats,waxed jackets and North Face Gilets and Barbour attire.

hortensemancini Mon 08-Apr-13 15:19:04

Sorry, that came out too bossy! Was meant to sound wry and a bit sad. I miss my black clothes days...

Elizabeth22 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:01:03

Hadn't considered that to be the reason. Makes sense!

Another brand to add to the Joules etc list is Sea salt.

hortensemancini Mon 08-Apr-13 14:53:29

This is because most countryside dwellers have at least one domestic animal which makes wearing black an impossibility, unless you've got a lint roller in every room, handbag and jacket pocket.

I've got two dogs who can turn a black skirt into a grey tweed one within minutes. [looks at sad 'Big City visits only' black section of wardrobe]

Elizabeth22 Mon 08-Apr-13 13:57:35

This is a sweeping generalisation but I think people tend to wear more colour than their city counterparts who wear a lot of black.

PenelopePipPop Mon 08-Apr-13 13:01:19

Will you be working in the country too? I work in a town but live in a mud hut. I wear normal stuff - skinnies, shirts, ankle boots, and Zara dresses for work a lot. The only thing that changes is that I wear wellies to walk to the station in the morning. And I think I may wear more undergarments than a city dweller but hard to know because frankly it is perishing everywhere at the moment.

There is a country look that I occasionally see people who work locally wearing: Barbour and Hunter mixed up with Joules and Boden and Cath bloody Kidston. But it isn't compulsory. And you sometimes see city dwellers wearing it too, so it is a lifestyle rather a location based style.

hortensemancini Mon 08-Apr-13 12:36:39

Same as everyone else: denim skirts, jeans, M&S heattech thermal layers, cashmere jumpers from Brora/M&S/Uniqlo, jersey dresses with vests/thermals underneath, with naice scarves and bright nail varnishes to make me feel like I'm not slowly evolving into one of those French and Saunders country ladies.

I splashed out about £500 on neoprene Le Chameau wellies with zips, a pair of Kiwi Sheepskin sheepskin boots, and a good warm-but-still-stylish Didrikson parka and it's been the best investment I made all year. Have worn all three constantly, and they'll go on for ages. You can't look stylish when you're freezing.

carrie74 Mon 08-Apr-13 12:05:50

What MAC said too. Basically no heels.

Also depends on what you mean by country. If it's just NotLondon, then you could still be in a town/city, or you could be rural, where there are few shops, few pavements, and lots of mud (like me!). And then wellies and welly socks are a must (I have Hunters, but am in the minority - most people just go cheap and practical).

KristinaM Mon 08-Apr-13 11:35:08

Same as mad here too. Lots of layers , hats, gloves and scarves. We live in the country but when I go into town I don't really notice much difference in styles. Though obviously office workers wear office clothes.

Only elderly laydees wear twinsets, tweed skirts and lace up sensible shoes. teenagers dress trashy and students studenty here too.

In my head, London is full of cool and stylish women. On the very rare occasion I go there, the tubes and buses are full of students and office workers in boring cheap black .Obviously all the stylish women in the Uk are here on mumsnet

Apparentlychilled Mon 08-Apr-13 10:48:41

yy to what Mad said, but I also have a fab pair of UGG boots which look like biker boots but are sheepskin lined- fab! They're called Gershwin boots and are amazing (but £££- they were a v generous Xmas present from DH who was sick of me moaning about being cold).

Poodlehorse Mon 08-Apr-13 10:45:33

Exactly what MAC said. Cashmere is great, it seems to be right for pretty much every season. I bought some boots from Welligogs which are country boots but in a biker style. Love them. They easily fit my ridiculously chunky calves too. Joules and Boden Figured quite heavily. I have since moved so trying to decountrify myself but my Welligogs stay.

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 08-Apr-13 10:30:59

Jeans (mostly skinnies), short denim/cord skirts, layers (heattec thermals, tshirts and woollen jumpers) plus boots or ballet flats. Down coats/gilets in cold weather and jackets when required. Lots of scarves.

teta Mon 08-Apr-13 10:09:17

I have lived in Brora thermals,cashmere,jeans and non-slip snow boots plus down coat this winter.I think Dubarrys are a bit of a cliche now tbw.Where i live,country people are not smart [we are not southern home counties]but rather practical.

soapandhorny Mon 08-Apr-13 09:34:01

A serious question. If you live in the countryside and try to stay a bit fashionable, what do you wear?

A bit of background. Moving back to the UK next year. I currently live in a very hot, sweaty place and wear shorts and flip flops most days and have not followed any fashion for ages sad. We are moving back to the UK next year and I would like to smarten up my image a bit and go mad on clothes since I haven't had any for ages plus I am on a clothes shopping amnesty since I am leaving soon.

So, if you live in the countryside and don't wear jumpers and pearls and tweed skirts (I've been watching To The Manor Born re runs obviously) what do you wear? I would like to start buying some things now to put away so that I can spread out the cost. I keep looking at Dubarry boots wink

Ideas please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now