How do some woman manage to look like they're really wealthy?

(273 Posts)
Whatisthepointoffriendships Sun 07-Apr-13 14:24:05

When they're not? I'm fascinated.

My friend is like it; they don't have much money and she wears very simple outfits and doesn't buy many clothes but she always looks amazing.

Anyone else know anyone like it?

Allthingspretty Mon 08-Apr-13 16:48:43

I would not spend over fifty pounds on trainers never mind over a hundred but then some people would not spend the amount of money i do on bags and accessories and view them as boring or old fashioned.

I don't think anyone would describe Juicy Couture as au courant. As I said before I think it is innate; if you've got it, you've got it. If not, well, no amount of highlights and pearl earrings will do it for you...

racingheart Mon 08-Apr-13 19:00:52

Thanks for the list of shoemakers. Going to look some up.
I really want BikeSkiRun's coa from the sound of it.
Agree that expensive excessories can make people look really chic, but what intrigued the OP was how come some people look wealthy in cheap clothes.

I know a woman who can do this. She's not slim or especially stunning but she looks so wealthy. She never wears patterns, always wears neutral layers and her hair is glossy all the time. Her accessories are very discreet too. Nothing costumey. She looks great but whenever I ask where she got something, it's Tu at Sainsburys. She just has a good eye for classic cuts and colours.

marriedinwhiteagain Mon 08-Apr-13 19:08:39

The other shoes I really like - was on way to work this morning and remember on the way - are a make called Peter Kaizer which are stocked by Peter Jones - they are a slightly cheaper version (IMO) of Stuart Weizman as stocked by Russell & Bromley. smile. And they fit me well but so do Van Dal and Gabor sad

marriedinwhiteagain Mon 08-Apr-13 19:14:40

And for good measure - dd is snurgling about in black skinnies (H&M), her brothers A&F ancient green polo and bright pink Vans and with long blonde hair looks every inch a refained young lady with less than zero effort.

justasecond Mon 08-Apr-13 19:14:41

When I see someone who I think looks "wealthy" they always have healthy looking skin, manicures and pedicures, glossy hair and flattering make up. The clothes are not the first thing I notice, which I suppose comes back to the coco chanel thing.

TomDudgeon Mon 08-Apr-13 19:15:24

Except George at Asdas stuff is generally too short for tall people

justasecond Mon 08-Apr-13 19:16:51

Not that I see many of this sort round my way, there are raised eyebrows if makeup is worn on the school run.

marriedinwhiteagain Mon 08-Apr-13 19:27:16

Why is ugly ever regarded as classy: Uggs, Crocs, Birkenstocks, etc? Never got that one.

openerofjars Mon 08-Apr-13 20:03:50

Kate Fox in Watching the English says that the clues are in things like natural fibres as opposed to synthetic stuff (the upper classes wear less polyester, apparently: Jaeger vs Jane Norman) and in the amount of leg shown: upper class women only show their legs if they have good legs. Anyone U with chubby ankles keeps them hidden under tweed slacks or jolly sensible boots.

And hair: swingy, glossy highlighted hair is much smarter than obvious dye, styling and product, she says.

Sanctimumious Mon 08-Apr-13 20:15:15

That's so true about only showing your legs if they're good. That is the same in ireland. You'd never see anybody classy/wealthy (not the same but talking about the overlap!) with their legs out if they've got sausages for legs. There's a really strong self-awareness there. Good points played up, modestly. Bad bits glossed over with no self-loathing though. That's mroe crucial than the price tag of the dress i think. Saying that though, I'm talking about the classy socialite see and be seen in the metropolis types here. I do know a few ancestral jumper types too... That's the real deal maybe but it's not the look I'm after!

DoNotDisturb Tue 09-Apr-13 08:15:39

Thanks PickledSiblings grin

So from reading this thread the theme seems to be to concentrate on hair make up and general grooming as the priority...

bunnymother Tue 09-Apr-13 08:29:38

And well fitting clothes in natural fibres...

DoNotDisturb Tue 09-Apr-13 09:39:06

Yes. But at 8 months pregnant I'm sort of ignoring that bit for now wink

Been having a think about this thread and got a bit philosophical. Like why do we actually want to look wealthier, or to be thought of as affluent? I mean, I love good quality clothes and try to look as pulled together as possible, but I kind of don't give a damn whether someone else perceives me as such, so long as they don't think that I resemble Rab C Nesbitt, you know?

I do love those touches of luxury, and I am currently trying to talk myself out of purchasing a Chloe bag, but at the same time I am actually a bit shy of showing off expensive things, and prefer a more understated look.

So I am still puzzled by what might make some women seem 'wealthier' than others, and wonder if that might actually be the wring word to describe it? Maybe it isn't wealth so much as bloody good luck, or a natural tendency to pay attention to details....just thoughts!

*wrong word*

scripsi Tue 09-Apr-13 13:37:20

I am interested in this because I have recently returned to work and the clients I have contact with are very wealthy and dress in an olivia palermo/gwyneth paltrow kind of way. I really like the style, it looks very clean and modern, but can't seem to emulate it. I want to get a handle on this so that I can feel more equal to them and I see that they treat me and co-workers differently (perhaps even without knowing it) according to our style.
I am particularly in the market for a relatively cheap but expensive looking watch and small/medium sized suitcase for when I travel, in case anyone has any ideas.

santamarianovella Tue 09-Apr-13 13:50:53

had to google Rab C.
toasted you are absolutely right,i dont want to resemble a WAG,and i dont want to go out dressed head to toe in chanel(as if i can afford it!)
i too like these little touches of luxury(good shoes,bags,scarves) you can team them with topshop jeans and sweater and still look classy.
i think the word chic or effortless is more like it.

Scripsi, I have a lovely watch by Citizen (was £100 birthday gift) that is very smart and has look of Cartier Tank. This isn't why I chose it, but I have been surprised by how many compliments I get.

here is a pic of me wearing it:

dansedelune.tumblr.com/post/17825892731

scripsi Tue 09-Apr-13 13:54:51

Oh that's a lovely watch ToastedTeacakes I shall try to hunt it down!

Thankssmile It's a Citizen Eco Drive with leather strap. The images of it online are not as lovely as the real thing, definitely have to see it in real life!

Hedget Tue 09-Apr-13 14:40:11

Depends who's looking, doesn't it? And as ever with these things, it seems largely, but not exclusively of course, to boil down to social confidence and not income.

More confident people are more likely to be happy to shop on ebay or in charity shops or the end of the sales, less likely to feel the need for the validation of a brand, more likely to be happy to wear the same thing again and again because it works.

Thick or well groomed hair, shortish nails, not over-plucked brows, and looking unfussy all add to the air. Yes, that Chanel thing about noticing the woman not the clothes. And also, what awkward said about not looking as though you're worried about the gas bill. And teeth. On the whole, if you have, or have grown up with advantages, you will have reasonably good teeth.

Has anyone mentioned scent yet, by the way? Adds to the whole if it's a good one, detracts if it's not.

Oh god why did you have to mention the gas bill!!???

scripsi Tue 09-Apr-13 15:15:34

I think that my fear of the gas bill and (more seriously) definitely my teeth let me down.

Hedget Tue 09-Apr-13 15:44:18

I didn't mention the gas bill - it was awkwardsis! Although my re-mentioning was blithe, I admit. No central heating here, so no gas bill at all - does wonders for my looks grin

I think, scripsi, that it's more that if you happen to have good teeth, they can contribute to the whole, but no one of these things defines it on its own. I don't mean Hollywood teeth, by the way, more cleaned by the dentist every six months no-tea-stains teeth. If you want to emulate your clients, which bits are you finding tricky?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now