How do some woman manage to look like they're really wealthy?

(273 Posts)
Whatisthepointoffriendships Sun 07-Apr-13 14:24:05

When they're not? I'm fascinated.

My friend is like it; they don't have much money and she wears very simple outfits and doesn't buy many clothes but she always looks amazing.

Anyone else know anyone like it?

LadyMountbatten Sun 07-Apr-13 17:47:54

or kaplunsky

NumTumDeDum Sun 07-Apr-13 17:48:29

Speaking of Anthea, I vaguely remember reading that when she didn't have a large budget that she would buy high street and have it altered to fit her perfectly by the local tailor/alterations place. Always seemed like a great idea to me.

LadyMountbatten Sun 07-Apr-13 17:50:02

yes that presumes there is such a thing
Like mumsnetters going on about " your local italian deli" or " your local fishmonger"

they just often dont exist

racingheart Sun 07-Apr-13 17:52:30

LadyMountbatten, I know exactly what you mean about those women. In fact I was at a charity gig recently, hosted by Anthea Turner and co-hosted by her hair. She was teeny tiny in snow white skinnies and did a lot of turning her back to the audience and bending over ostensibly to do something charitable to small children who shared her stage. What she was really doing was showing how perfectly toned her teeny tiny bum was. I admit, I was impressed. The men in the audience couldn't get their cheque books out fast enough. She did scream wealth.

Chottie Sun 07-Apr-13 17:55:20

I never feel I have 'got it together' either..... Even if I had lots of designer stuff, it would just look boring.....

NumTumDeDum Sun 07-Apr-13 17:57:44

I guess it seemed reasonable to me there was always a lady at the dry cleaners who did alterations and my mum used to do them when we were broke!

Dilidali Sun 07-Apr-13 17:59:38

Justonemorecardi as far as I remember the staples are
White shirt, fitted
Black/ navy trousers
A blouse a la Chloe
White/ black/ navy long sleeved t-shirt
A skirt in a flattering cut
One LBD
One everyday dress( navy)
2 pairs of shoes ( one flat, one heel)
2 coats

marriedinwhiteagain Sun 07-Apr-13 18:00:08

Tips my mum gave me:

Never look at the label
Look at the cut, the fabric and the fit
If the cut is on the bias it will look good whatever
blue and brown = no
black and brown = no
red and pink = no
blue and green = dodgy unless navy and emerald
Avoid patterns
Shoes must be good quality
Bags must be good quality
Shoes and bags must match
You need one good coat
Natural fibres at all costs
Quality, discreet jewellery
Fur should be wild not ranch wink

I'm not terribly into clothes and love things like scarves and pashminas which my mother detests but on the other hand she can make a pair of £4 trousers look classy, but I can tell quality and it doesn't always come with an expensive label and an expensive label doesn't always mean quality.

Also, buy when you see not when you want or need.

CousinRachel Sun 07-Apr-13 18:10:42

I don't agree that variations of blonde hair and a tan make you look wealthy. You see plently of that on Towie etc.

But agree with understated grooming, generally slender, lack of tats.

noddyholder Sun 07-Apr-13 18:14:01

Glossy hair that moves Clear skin Minimal make up and whether we like it or not most things look better if you are slim and your clothes fit/suit you

I just can't get on board with the 'most things look better if you're thin' thing.
I am a 6/8 and my sister is a curvy 12/14 with small waist and a few inches shorter than me. She is also 10 yrs older. When she tries some of my looser fit clothes on she really brings them to life and looks friggin amazing, whereas I look a bit buried and shapeless in them. She practically ran away with my tweed blazer.....filling it with bigger breasts and hips made it look awesome in a way I could never hope to achieve.
I think it really is all relative, and dependent upon fit and how you carry it off, not body size.

My sister also suits jeans better than I do, the curves just bring everything together for me, and I feel like a pencil stood next to her. I guess it's all about the grass is greener, or maybe I just wish I had more T&A grin

Agree about glossy hair though. Mine is the bane of my existence.

marriedinwhiteagain Sun 07-Apr-13 18:26:43

Have you ever had your colours done toasted

scarlet76 Sun 07-Apr-13 18:27:12

I am teeny tiny - 5ft and size 6-8.
I alas do not look wealthy! Groomed at times but not wealthy.

abbyfromoz Sun 07-Apr-13 18:33:04

Quality not quantity. Research rather than impulse buy. Find something good and stick to it. Spend more on investing in staples. Coats, jeans, shoes should be quality. Check the labels. Acrylic, nylon & polyester out. Cotton, linen, wool in.
Some clothes wear better though with a mix (eg. Silk, cotton & nylon)
Read reviews before buying.
Have a 'unform' and know which colours suit you. Create a capsule wardrobe.

A colleague from years ago always had me envious because her clothes looked really really expensive and really really nice.

It took me MONTHS to notice that she only had about 3 outfits....

She used to buy hardly any clothes, but the ones she did buy were classy, gorgeous, not always particularly expensive but they all suited and fitted her perfectly.

As coco chanel said, if a woman is badly dressed, you notice the clothes. If a woman is well dressed, you notice the woman.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 07-Apr-13 18:43:31

Controversial alert but I think getting your colours done is not always necessary - honestly if you've got an honest friend and spend some time looking at what looks good on you then you can figure it out yourself.

Novice - I'm on the wornout blog - the one who is coveting the too hot to handle hobo at the moment.

I do think most clothes look better on the tall and slim and so does most of the world hence you know models being 5ft10 and a size 6. But that's not to say you can't look fab whatever size you are. However it is harder to look good if you're not tall and skinny and I speak as someone who is neither.

I was in town once and saw a woman who really did exude wealth - took a second look and realised the man she was with (her husband) was Andrew Lloyd Webber. She was attractive but everything about her said money from her hair (good cut and lovely colour) to her skin and her clothes. It wasn't shouty wealth but just understated money if that makes sense.

Married no, but love the sound of it, just not the price! I think I am a light summer, but could be wrong (pale, blue eyes, blonde). I seem to suit pastels, especially lilac and certain shades of pink. But I can also do black, navy and white. Don't tend to suit beige, brown or orange.

CousinRachel Sun 07-Apr-13 18:44:07

You can be slender AND curvy though can't you? The two aren't mutually exclusive.

And yy to shampoo-ad hair (not that I have it) >sulks<

Charliefox Sun 07-Apr-13 18:44:31

Cousinrachel, you misunderstand me. I don't mean the trollopy blonde hair and tan brigade. I mean the sloaney girls you see at polo matches, with natural tans and thicky glossy hair. Whole world of difference.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 07-Apr-13 18:45:48

You see Flibberty I really do notice the clothes. I love clothes and fashion and so really do notice what people wear. But I get that a lot of people don't.

And always find that quote amusing coming from someone whose business was to sell clothes.

MarshaBrady Sun 07-Apr-13 18:46:48

It's can be more about being streamlined than anything else. So no matter what size you are get rid of the muffin top and that will help.

Also lots of logos/ labels can look cheap rather than expensive.

And yes to preferring style over wealth and keeping it simple.

MarshaBrady Sun 07-Apr-13 18:48:17

The Anthea Turner thing is funny and lol at co-hosted by the hair. I'd go for less styled with the hair as exuding wealth.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 07-Apr-13 18:50:41

I bet Anthea does look wealthy in the flesh though. That hair doesn't style itself for sure wink

But you know looking wealthy can often be achieved by just being dripping in diamonds - doesn't mean its stylish just rich.

CousinRachel Sun 07-Apr-13 18:53:17

Fair enough Charliefox.

Charliefox Sun 07-Apr-13 18:54:20

This picture sums it up She's wearing jeans and a black top but she's dripping money. Why? Great body, natural tan, amazing hair, expensive teeth and beautiful creamy skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now