Hand moisturiser for very dry hands

(47 Posts)
dolallymum Fri 05-Apr-13 08:25:22

My OH has just started a new job and due to a mixture cold, dust and manual work his hands have gone very dry and flaky.
Can anyone recommend a hand moisturiser?
He's tried Dove's Intense Hand Moisturiser and similar others but they do not work.
Thank you in advance.

Essexgirlupnorth Sun 07-Apr-13 16:32:04

The body shop Hemp one. Doesn't smell great though is probably more masculine than most but works well.

dolallymum Sun 07-Apr-13 16:10:58

Boots have Aveeno on offer at the moment. £3.39 instead of £5.10

Aveeno here, and I have terrible hands that crack and bleed. Aveeno cleared it up and keeps it away.

And it's available on prescription!

DD has it for her eczema - did more in two days than six months of diprobase.

helebear Sat 06-Apr-13 18:31:53

I can get aveeno in my local big sainsburys & boots.

I swear by two - Neutrogena, and Clarins!

gailforce1 Sat 06-Apr-13 17:03:59

Do any of the supermarkets stock Aveeno or do Superdrug/Boots stock it?

dolallymum Sat 06-Apr-13 14:59:30

We tried the cooking oil with sugar exfoliator last night and that got rid of pretty much all of the loose skin.
Plan to get some Aveeno or Hemp moisturiser tomorrow, but for the time been he has been using some intense foot cream and he's noticed a difference today with how much better they are.

Wolfiefan Sat 06-Apr-13 14:34:38

Neutrogena
Flexitol
Gloves in a bottle is a lotion that provides a protective layer. (Cream on and/or under it.)

JulesJules Sat 06-Apr-13 14:28:14

L'Occitane shea butter handcream (but £££)

Flexitol heel balm

Atrixo (comes out high on Which? according to my Mum)

BrienneOfTarth Sat 06-Apr-13 13:37:14

Flexitol Hald Balm works absolute miracles. Available in Boots.

xigris Sat 06-Apr-13 13:29:39

The Body Shop's Hemp hand cream is brilliant

notjustamummythankyou Sat 06-Apr-13 13:28:15

As a result of this thread, I bought some aveeno for my alligator hands. Lovely stuff - hands look better already. And I can confirm that it doesn't sting on broken skin smile

JemimaPuddle Fri 05-Apr-13 21:35:40

Flexitol hand balm.

cerealqueen Fri 05-Apr-13 21:17:20

Flexitol foot cream!

dolallymum Fri 05-Apr-13 20:52:47

Wow, was not expecting so many responses. Thank you all.
I have written all of your suggestions down and will get my OH to try some of them out.
Thank you again.

shrimponastick Fri 05-Apr-13 20:30:06

Body Shop Hemp wins here.

Often on offer too at half price, so £5 for a large tube. It does the job.

noblegiraffe Fri 05-Apr-13 20:10:43

I also would suggest Neutrogena Norwegian formula, the concentrated stuff, it's really thick.

Although if you're bfing and have any Lansinoh lying around, that's good if they get cracked.

BigRedBox Fri 05-Apr-13 20:07:47

I love Atrixo, and I am obsessed with keeping my hands moisturised.

poozlepants Fri 05-Apr-13 19:52:36

I'll second the Neutragena Norwegian Formula - you have to use just a little. It was developed for rufty tufty Norwegian fishermen and really works.

MissLurkalot Fri 05-Apr-13 19:47:40

Aveeno and body shop hemp hand cream

helebear Fri 05-Apr-13 19:45:20

Notjustamummy aveeno doesn't sting. My hands were cracked and bleeding last winter after loads of nappy changing & hand washing and aveeno was one of the few hand creams that didn't sting and really helped. Also really recommend oilatum soap, think part of the problem was using harsh antibacterial soap.

floatyflo Fri 05-Apr-13 15:52:00

Neutrogena Norwegian formula. Lovely stuff, swear by it

piprabbit Fri 05-Apr-13 15:47:36

Ow shock.

notjustamummythankyou Fri 05-Apr-13 15:45:59

Ha! pip, I tried the oil exfoliator thing. Except, erm, I used salt instead of sugar. My alligator hands were on fire. I now know where I went wrong ... blush.

piprabbit Fri 05-Apr-13 15:38:22

I use Clinque Deep Comfort hand cream when I can afford it - as it does feel very comforting to the sore feeling I get when my hands are very dry.

Once the worst of a bout of dryness is over and I'm feeling less sore, I use a mix of oil and sugar (sunflower oil and caster sugar) to exfoliate. It gets rid of the layers of dead, crocodiley skin and lets the moisturiser work better on the newer skin underneath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now