Are Radley bags really so awful?

(133 Posts)
HarrySnotter Thu 04-Apr-13 17:24:39

DH bought me this bag for my birthday. I actually really love it but a 'friend' (work colleague really) has informed me that Radley are totally naffola and that everyone will now think I have no taste.

I don't normally give a toss what other people think of what I like or if I have taste or not (I probably don't!) but I'm actually a little hurt because DH put a lot of thought into it and got me one he knew I'd like. Which I do. I don't really know why I'm bothered, I suppose I just feel that she's pissed on my chips a bit. sad

www.radley.co.uk/rockland-broad-large-workbag

She's not a friend, she's a frenemy.

Ouchmyhead Sat 06-Apr-13 00:33:09

I love Radley! Sod your friend, it is a lovely present! I have a Radley purse, suitcase and over night bag (all presents!) I love them!

CloudsAndTrees Fri 05-Apr-13 20:27:09

Radley bags are good quality, and I think anyone that says they Don't like an entire range of completely different products is talking rubbish anyway. You might it like the brand, which is fair enough, but when a brand like radle has such a huge range, how can people not find at leat one or two things that they do like, even if they would prefer it to be a different brand? It makes no sense.

I also think that people who stick to a brand for the right reasons and don't go off it just because it has had a few months of being the in thing and then gone slightly out if fashion, come across as a lot more confident and secure than people who would avoid a brand because of that.

nellyjelly Fri 05-Apr-13 19:55:31

Pah. It is lovely and most importantly you like it.

I like Radley and have a couple. also have a couple of Cath Kidston bags and am told she is very naff but i like them and they are practical.

Don't care what others think about my handbag choice!

MadameOvary Fri 05-Apr-13 19:50:56

Meh to Mulberry Bayswater bags. I sold mine as they are everywhere now. I would happily carry your bag.

scarlet76 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:36:48

Like anything, it's a question of personal taste. But yes, how utterly rude of this person. Waste no more time and enjoy a bag you love!

Talisin Fri 05-Apr-13 18:14:06

As everyone has already said - it's a lovely bag from, obviously, a lovely man. Ignore the idiot from work. If she judges 'taste' by a label then she posesses none herself.

BranchingOut Fri 05-Apr-13 17:48:02

Nothing wrong with that bag - something probably wrong with her though!

polyhymnia Fri 05-Apr-13 17:43:12

I agree withTrixy . my own lack of enthusiasm for Radley goes back a few years to when their bags were indeed on the twee side - as IMO the dog still is - but he's easily detachable .

But more recently have noticed they have very clearly raised their sights brought In new designers and started to do a far wider range of styles - many, like yours, definitely stylish.

SuburbanCrofter Fri 05-Apr-13 17:21:04

I was a little bit shock when I read your message, as I just got a Radley bag for my 40th birthday! It is the kind of thing I couldn't normally afford, and I thought it was classy because their bags seem well made but not flashy... I had no idea that anyone considered them naff! Guess I'm out of the loop....

However, I think the fact that your colleague judges items of clothing by brand (Prada=good, Radley=naff) shows a complete lack of taste. Do you actually trust her judgement - do you think her outfits look nice? I'll bet she looks like a dog's dinner most of the time! I think your bag is lovely, and your husband even lovelier.

trixymalixy Fri 05-Apr-13 17:19:20

I'm not a Radley fan. Their bags were a bit twee for ages, but I have to admit that they seem to have upped their game and have some lovely bags at the moment. Yours is one of them and your friend is a total dick. How rude to comment on someone's bag like that?

And I'm not sure if it is jealousy about the bag itself, esp if she can afford expensive things, but maybe she doesn't have a wonderful man to treat her like that, or perhaps she resents how lucky you have been in obtaining those wonderful things in life that are actually still free (love).

Maybe hearing about how he chose this especially for you is what triggered her, and she would have said something similar even if you'd been gifted a Chanel.

Some people are way more concerned about prestige than quality, but they'll probably tell you they purchase Prada because of the quality. Heh.
I would see this as her attempt to justify her own spending, perhaps. This need to reduce you to a 'shelf below herself', so to speak.

I like a good bag, and have a few expensive ones, but am most happy with the least prestigious of the batch, which (whilst still high quality leather) threatens to outlast them all.

That Radley bag is lovely. I've never bought from the brand but they do have some nice, neat shapes.

You truly do NOT need the approval of a brand obsessed cockwomble to enjoy your new bag. Ask yourself why someone would insult you in this way? The issue lies with them.

Aquelven Fri 05-Apr-13 17:00:55

I reckon she's jealous, of your lovely bag but even more so of your lovely husband.

I really like Radley bags, terrific quality for far less ££££s than some more lusted after bags where you are just paying for snob value

I have a few & love them all, even the Scottie but then I am owned by several hairy terriers hailing from north of the border & wouldn't dare call them naff grin

But then, if you want naff Radley, you need one like one of mine. It's pink, big & has a whole landscape appliquéd on the front in bright colours, complete with dog kennel, Scottie, flowers growing in grass..... grin

Lazyoldcow Fri 05-Apr-13 15:55:46

I just can't bear bag snobbery.

I have 2 Radley bags including the new Bartley. There are many bags I don't like but a few that are nice.

I also have a friend- maybe fast becoming an ex friend- who won't buy anything unless it's Prada, Anya H or Mulberry.

I think it's nonsense paying the cost of a 2nd hand car for a bag. More money than sense, lass.

I don'tl ove the Radley scottie- always take it off - it's twee. But never throw away cos when you Ebay the bag peeps want the doggy!

Shlurpbop Fri 05-Apr-13 13:02:00

Prada?! How naff!

Wear your lovely Radley bag with pride. She is clearly jealous smile

CountryBelle Fri 05-Apr-13 12:12:51

Also, lovely DH smile

CountryBelle Fri 05-Apr-13 12:12:16

Beautiful bag, horrible "friend".

Yes well Jel!

I know someone who buys every bag they do - if you like it, go for it & carry with pridesmile

compoundinterest Fri 05-Apr-13 11:56:19

Your 'friend' sounds horrid. Bin her and enjoy your Radley bag. It looks lovely! grin

BeaLola Fri 05-Apr-13 11:53:37

She is downright rude. Perhps she is jealous of the fact that you have such a kind and thoughtful DH. Is she in a relationship ? If she is perhaps they bought her nothing lovely when it was her birthday ?

I have several Radleys from briefcase type that I've had for about 10 years to cross-body types to a hobo type. I love them all - some I bought myself others DH did - it perhaps helps that we visit outlet centre where huge range & great prices. I don't love everything they do but I do love my handbags - also have some lovely ones from Osprey & a lovely Mulberry bucket bag that DH bought me years back.

At the end of the day you love it (I looked at it online & loved it too), your husband loved it & is fab DH for being so thoughtful & she is a rude, wizened, not nice individual. I wish I could think of a witty put down but I'm rubbish at those. Just wear your Radley with pride & tbh take it as a compliment that she doesn't like it - she clearly has no taste whatsoever.

goldensands Fri 05-Apr-13 11:29:54

My family make special trips to the designer outlet to purchase Radley bags blush

I think they are lovely! I am actually very excited because I know I am getting a holdall on wheels suitcase thing from there for my birthday...

Very jealous of your lovely bag envy

Madratlady Fri 05-Apr-13 11:25:01

I love Radley. My handbay is a Radley one I bought to celebrate splitting up with my arse of an ex over 2 years ago and is still in fantastic condition even though I use it daily.

ATJabberwocky Fri 05-Apr-13 11:19:20

Radley bags are lovely, i really like the cute dog, i would not take notice, all that matters is that you like it.

freddiefrog Fri 05-Apr-13 11:16:44

I'm not really a bag person, I tend to shove keys, phone and debit card in a pocket, so don't get excited about bags in the slightest, but I really like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now