So, as a 34 year old, where can I buy clothes?

(37 Posts)
dogdaysareover Wed 03-Apr-13 23:21:08

Just doing some internet shopping (or trying to) and I have realised I don't know any shops which I think I am target market for. Used to love Topshop, H and M, Oasis, etc, but whenever I look in these places now I just don't 'get it' (crop tops and striped leggings anyone?). I LOATHE Next because everything has twee fuckingcat or Eiffel Tower logos, or cutout shoulders WTAF? Zara does not accomodate my 34G boobs. Never has and never will. Places like Hobbs and Whistles, I love for work or special occasions, but way too pricey for sitting on floor of local toddler group which is most days of my terribly exciting week Have just tried Boden, but didn't feel the love, think the styles aren't great for my type of figure (size 14, hourglass, huge norks). Gap I find boooorrriiing. So, help me mumsnet, where are the stylish shops with age-appropriate clothes which will love my figure?

BassDownLow Mon 08-Apr-13 18:07:04

Same age and I think what happens around this age is you can no longer just go into one or two shops and grab a load of stuff and look great. You have to be more selective and work out which items from whch shops work on your shape and with your style.

I tend to go to departments stores now - John Lewis, Debenhams, House of Fraser etc - so I can see loads of different brands all in one place and also mix and match cheaper high street items with more upmarket stuff.

I get the odd tunic or casual dress from 'mummy' shops like Joules and Boden, but still find stuff I like in Dorothy Perkins, Oasis, Warehouse, Mango, River Island.

Agree Zara is useless if youre curvy. Topshop has the occasional find for me, but yeah, too much funky teenage crap!

freddiefrog Mon 08-Apr-13 14:46:30

I think H&M comes up a bit small, and it's not standard across their range either

I take 2 sizes into the changing rooms if I'm actually in there, or try and find the actual measurements if I'm ordering online

I've got 2 pairs of trousers from there - exactly the same trousers just different colours. I was 8 in one, 12 in the other

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 08-Apr-13 14:35:56

For those that shop at H&M, does the sizing come up as standard? We dont have a local one to try and i prefer to shop online. Have seen lots on there I need following this thread and there is a 10% discount code on the net so even better.

Forget about New Look sometimes at it seems to have phases of everything being "barely there".

babybouncer Sun 07-Apr-13 21:41:07

I don't know if I'm really qualified to be on this thread as I hate shopping, especially in shops where I really have to weed out the few things that cater for boobs! Since I had my kids I swear by Debenhams personal shopper (I know they have them at John Lewis too, and probably other department stores too) which is a little crazy because I rarely bought things there before. I just love that you sit on a sofa drinking tea while they get stuff, then you stay put in the enormous changing room while she runs round getting what you need, then get dressed while they bag it up and bypass the queues to open a new till for you to pay. And it's free - no obligation to buy - and they go through sale racks and stick to a budget better than I do.

freddiefrog Sun 07-Apr-13 21:17:20

Well, I'm 37 and buy clothes from pretty much everywhere mentioned on this thread

I find having a nose on Pinterest or Polyvore for styles and things I like before going shopping gives me ideas for what to look for and how to wear them without looking like a wannabe teen

VenusRising Sun 07-Apr-13 20:49:09

Dogdays I agree about pepperberry: the colours look really horrible- daub and muddy... and and the prints...... Omg.
YY also about the embellishments- you really have bows and frills walking into a room a few seconds before you do- just what you need with massive norks.
Thanks thedoctrine smile

PetiteMum Sat 06-Apr-13 23:46:33

I pretty much down to uniqlo and gap. I've started buying plainer clothes in simple cuts I know suit me, and dressing up with colourful scarves, shoes and bags!

dogdaysareover Sat 06-Apr-13 22:53:38

Oh thanks for all of your replies. I agree age should never 'pigeon hole' anyone style-wise, but I think maybe retailers are really going after one market at the moment. A few years ago if I ventured into Topshop, I could maybe think 40% of the clothes would be ok for me, now it is more like 10% because apart from a few key pieces, the whole place just screams 16 year old! I think maybe a lot of shops have really narrowed their target market to the point where I do feel excluded from many of the shops I would never have batted an eye at going in a few years ago. It is either that, or I am aging physically and mentally
Or maybe it's a case that shops aren't catering for my body shape, so many button up shirts, high/funnel neck things about, button up blazers, etc. Pepperberry seems to be the only place I can find a top that fits over my boobs and the colours and prints are just horrible, and they also seems to think that putting bows on the front of everything somehow helps, because big boobs look great adorned in frills and bows - not. Hmm, I'm just going to keep searching and hopefully will find the shop which makes me go ooooohhhhhh, look all of these lovely clothes which suit me and fit me and make me feel wonderful.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 05-Apr-13 09:57:10

Sorry, Jane Norman, not Jayne. Gah.

RevoltingPeasant Fri 05-Apr-13 09:55:59

OP I'm 33 and tend to shop in a variety of hight st shops, but 'carefully' - Monsoon, River Island, H&M, even <whisper> M&S.

One thing I would recommend is Jayne Norman - it's good for women with curves, many pieces can be worn to work, and it's 'cute' enough that you don't look middle aged.

ChablisLover Fri 05-Apr-13 09:44:56

OP - I'm heading to my late 30's and I shop in most of those places

Boden - Avoid the twee styles at all costs
zara - excellent for shoes
Oasis - only ever in the sales - is getting very expensive for what it is
House of Fraser - great all under one roof (Again only in sales)
The outnet - they had a great clearance sale not so long ago (missed out on £20 cashmere jumper as arguing with DH about it (have £25 store credit there)

I do the higher end of the high street in the sales only
and look out for discount codes/quidco etc

Also ebay - find real bargains there too if you know what you are looking for
and TK maxx

Am tempted to try me and em too

I never buy full price - only ever on offer.

but I do agree - I loathe next too (after having an account there I couldn't hack the poor quality and man made materials)

Oh and the crop tops and stripy leggings are for 16 year olds and even then some of them dont look great in it either

If you hunt around - H&M and these places do have other things (that are so lovely)

Good luck OP

Grockle Fri 05-Apr-13 07:58:30

I'm 35 & tend to buy basics from:
new look -great for skinny jeans
primark -stretchy jeans
H & m - vest tops & leggings

Dotty Ps, Wallis & monsoon (sales) for prettier tops/ dresses.

I no longer wear fat face, next or white stuff because everyone my age & above seems to wear them & the patterns & design are so recognizable.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 05-Apr-13 06:42:04

Venus, I have checked and I meant Collectif as the brand, rockabilly is the style, oops.

VenusRising Fri 05-Apr-13 00:31:52

Thanks lovelies! no budget for Vivenne Westwood I'm afraid but now that I think about it, Im a bit princess Eugenie in shape and colouring. Might go and get some ideas there.... or not!!!

Venus - if you can afford Reiss, you might be able to stretch to Vivienne Westwood for a dress for a special occasion - and she is the Goddess of designing for hourglass figures.

Dog - I'm older than you but I still find the odd piece in Topshop. I'm quite fond of Warehouse too. I find that the fabrics in Warehouse are generally better than Oasis which has got increasingly polyester-ish.

What sort of styles do you like?

olivertheoctopus Thu 04-Apr-13 21:30:06

I'm a big fan of White Stuff but annoyingly so is my 62yo mother and she's several dress sizes smaller than me hmm

freerangeeggs Thu 04-Apr-13 21:24:19

I'm 29 and agree that there's a bit of a gap in the market for women in their late twenties/early thirties who don't want to dress like teenagers or students any more but aren't quite ready to dress like their mums.

I love Topshop. Yes, it has a lot of leggings covered in peace signs, denim shorts with panther eyes on the crotch etc etc but it also has some fashionable, good quality stuff. (I actually bought a crop top from there the other day blush)

I also look in River Island sometimes but everything is so spangly - it looks like there's been some sort of sequin explosion in there. I frigging hate sequin and sparkly clothes. I had a voucher for RI that I didn't use for a year because I just didn't see anything I wanted. Miss Selfridge is similar but I have some nice stuff from there.

Oasis is alright but I find the quality to be variable and sometimes the designs and prints can be a bit twee.

I've found Uniqlo to be quite good lately for basic tops and vests. I bought a couple of nice scarves there too.

Have you tried Urban Outfitters? FCUK were good last season but I'm not liking their summer stuff so far.

Chubfuddler Thu 04-Apr-13 20:49:34

Oh god never pay full price for me & em! Or boden come to that. Google discount code + boden and you will always save at least 10% and free delivery.

Me & em have great sales. I only shop high end high street in sales.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 04-Apr-13 19:12:39

Venus, look at Rockabilly on eBay.

shopalot Thu 04-Apr-13 19:10:44

Thanks. I did suspect it was a "use a code" website!!!! Prices just seem too expensive. Will look around for a code. I like the scoop neck ruched dress in navy and tempted by the fit and flare dress in teal and navy. Both lovely dresses that I think would dress up or down. (My kind of dresses)

foxysocks Thu 04-Apr-13 18:58:04

shopalot me&em have amazing sales. I would never pay FP personally, my budget doesn't stretch to it. they do sometimes do discount codes too, worth singing up to newsletters and see what pops up. the jersey is really excellent quality, thick and heavy, and the sheer tops I have from them have washed really well too.

shopalot Thu 04-Apr-13 18:54:40

Chubfuddler - I have just had a look me &em which is a site I had never seen before. Love some of the bits. Is it the sort of website where you get discount codes or is the price you see the price you pay IYSWIM?

foxysocks Thu 04-Apr-13 16:18:47

I'm 33 but a diff shape. I like john lewis - they stock lots of different brands and are all in the same place, assistants are excellent as is the returns policy. brands I look at specifically when I'm there are whistles, nicole farhi, toast, mango, reiss, wolford (for tights). i never find anything in mint velvet, phase 8, ted baker, white stuff but they all have a presence in JL.

I would say I also shop fairly regularly at the outnet, asos and all saints.

in addition I have bought in the last year from me&em, shopbop, hush, baukjen, donna ida and gap but much less frequently.

VenusRising Thu 04-Apr-13 16:05:28

I also have your shape OP 34hh boobs though.... looking for a dress at the moment for a May occasion.
I've looked at pepperberry, but the colours are gawd awful, and I have a stick out bum so Gap Zara Reiss etc high street are too tight round my hips for my waist. Sigh.

Any ideas for a jacket and skirt combo that actually doesn't gape, or have to be such a big size I look like the 80s revisited in a bad Maggie ThatcherXDynasty way, or indeed look like I'm 45 going on 60.
I've quite good legs so don't feel like I should have to cover up completly!

I think I'll have to go to a tailor sad sorry for the hijack!

Chubfuddler Thu 04-Apr-13 15:45:54

<whispers>

No one means us to wear those crop tops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now