Just got rid of 90% of my wardrobe. Not sure if I can ever buy clothes again

(25 Posts)
fridgepants Wed 03-Apr-13 12:52:11

Went through it with a friend following a house move...it turned out that most of it either no longer fitted, never did fit (I have humongous norks) or looked terrible. I've been banned from bright yellow, grey and off-white, and am feeling depressed as some of those things fitted a couple of years ago (pre medication and living in a place that led to stress eating crap) and I'd been hanging on hoping they'd fit again.

I have no idea what to replace stuff with. I'm 5ft 10, red hair, very pale, 16-18 (and have lots of trouble finding pants to fit so tend to wear jeans), an hourglass shape (10in between waist and hips, hence trouble with pants) and 36H. My height and bust means that waistbands tend to go empire line on me, and everything's too fuckign short.

My imaginary style is 50s vintage - Joan Holloway is a little smarter than I tend to look, but I do like 50s shapes and feel they flatter my figure.

ellangirl Wed 03-Apr-13 13:05:52

Dresses prob great on you. Best colours likely to be teals, greens, aqua, browns maybe? and no black.
What about this kind of thing, might be long enough
If trousers/jeans then slim or straight leg with fitted top, not boyfriend cardigans as they don't do much for hourglasses. I just bought these slim leg which are great on my hourglass shape. Long came up long enough for me I am 5'9".

miche8 Wed 03-Apr-13 13:06:06

I had a good experience with a John lewis personal shopper. I now tend to do big online orders and order a couple of sizes, its all on the credit card and doesn't count until I decide to keep it. I like doing this as I can have a big trying on session and try things with stuff I already own and different combinations. My post office is open until very late and is very near so returns are no hassle for me. I'm a completely different shape so can't make suggestions.

ujjayi Wed 03-Apr-13 13:09:10

Vintage style is easily dressed down with different footwear and avoiding the full on retro hir & makeup.

If you love Joan's style then why not try pencil skirts and fitted, v neck tops with fitted cardigan. Or wrap dresses would be another good option and look fabulous on an hourglass figure (sigh....boyish here).

Sorry you are feeling so down. Try seeing it as an exciting opportunity to buy things you truly love - a great way to mark a new start.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 03-Apr-13 13:10:07

If you struggle with trousers, have you tried skirts?! I only ask because I'm 5'10, a 14-16 (pre current pregnancy), and hourglass shape and find pencil and a-line skirts really flattering. They're good all year round (depending on colour/fabric) and are a fab excuse to wear gorgeous boots.

ellangirl Wed 03-Apr-13 13:15:46

This blog might be of interest lostinaspotlessmind.com/

Honsandrevels Wed 03-Apr-13 13:18:24

Pepperberry have a lovely green vintage style dress at the mo. Should suit your colouring and big boobs!

naturelover Wed 03-Apr-13 13:30:12

Don't despair! You'll get lots of useful tips on here.

Try to focus on the colours you CAN wear. If you can find one or two scarves in colours that suit you then they'll dress up any neutral/plain outfits.

IMO most women have too many clothes. I'm a great believer in having a few things that you feel really good in and adding a few accessories to ring the changes.

When you do find things that fit you/suit you (it DOES take time and patience) then don't hesitate to buy duplicates and return to the same shops again and again. I have figured out what suits me and what I feel comfortable in and I wear variations on that all year around. I'm not going to win prizes for being fashionable or original, but I feel good in those clothes and I get a lot of wear out of them (cost:wear ratio is good!)

I had my colours done and that was a good starting point. It has saved me a lot of time and money already. When I go shopping I save so much time ignoring all the stuff in the "wrong" colours.

I'm a completely different shape and size to you so I'm not going to be able to point you in the direction of any specific outfits, but it looks like you've already had some great recommendations.

Good luck

Chandon Wed 03-Apr-13 14:02:40

5.10, big boobs and a small waist does not soind like such a bad hand!

Just play it right.

Like the sound of your 50style stuff, and imagine it would suit you.

Ladyvlondon.com does fabby dresses for women with your figure, have a look, they do various size 16-18 dresses that cost around £40

fridgepants Wed 03-Apr-13 14:09:41

I feel down partly because it felt like evidence I am Getting Fat (two of the dresses I had worn and loved two summers ago - admittedly they were tight then because of the bust) and having extra weight doesn't feel great. I am planning to do something about it but the combination of quetiapine and contraception means I'm going to be lucky to lose the dress size I've gained since then. At least I'll be eating better though.

I got rid of about six White Stuff A-line skirts. Five of which had never been worn. My friend - who really needs to get a job as a wardrobe consultant - said that I have things that make me look stunning, but a lot of what I had just didn't work, regardless of size.

Chandon Wed 03-Apr-13 14:31:40

Well, but I guess you do not have to look stunning all the time, do you ? i am saying this wearing leggings and trainers ( i take days of from trying to " look nice")

And about weight gain and contraception, you could change contraception? ( condoms are good for no side effectsin terms of weight)

Also, chin up, it is almost spring and everybody looks nicer, and is easier to dress, and gets slimmer in spring. NOW WHERE IS THAT SUNSHINE

SheepNoisesOff Wed 03-Apr-13 14:40:21

You have the same colouring as I do, it's not hard to look stunning when you have red hair ;)))wink. Is your skin blue-based or yellow-based? Do you have rosy cheeks?

I'm on quetiapine as well and have also put a lot of weight on. I take other medications with the same side effect so it makes it really hard to shift any weight at all. If the medication makes you well, I'd keep taking it and just concentrate on making the most of the figure you do have. Sorry if that sounds patronizing, it isn't meant to, just saying I've been a lot happier since I accepted the weight gain as a side effect of being well IYKWIM.

ExasperatedSigh Wed 03-Apr-13 14:55:29

A 5ft10 redhead hourglass? You sound stunning, I am officially jealous (brunette shortarse here) smile

Re. length, you could try browsing through Domestic Sluttery's ]]http://www.domesticsluttery.com/search/label/tall%20girls tall girls]] fashion posts for stuff that might interest you.

fridgepants Wed 03-Apr-13 15:06:06

I can't change contraception. My family medical history limits me to the implant and the IUD - and I got pregnant with an IUD in place along with anemia. Pain in the arse, it is. I am too paranoid to go condom only, especially as with the medication I'm on I can't risk pregnancy. Once you get pregnant on something that's meant to be 99.9% effective, it's hard to relax and not think of it falling off somehow...

OneLittleLady - I'm trying to see it in the same way, but it's difficult when you've been a particular size for ages and it changes. I put weight on in proportion so I'm lucky that way, but I have a horrid pouch at the front which is the cause of me thinking clothes look terrible on. I have got a corsetty thing that holds it in but it's not a nice thing to wear everyday so it comes out for particular dresses or occasions.

I'm not a real redhead, I'm an adopted one smile But my colouring is such that it can look natural if I don't go for a bright red (which I do in the winter). I think I'm pink-toned skin-wise - I use Lancome Teint Idole in 005 if that means anything to anyone. My cheeks aren't that rosy, though I also suffer from bad skin so I need to cover stuff up.

I know where you're coming from fridgepants. I was a tiny size 8-10 before I started on all the medication. It's taken me a long time but I've gradually accepted that I'll never be that size again and that being well is more important than being slim. Your figure sounds lovely anyway and I bet you'd look stunning in 50's style things. I'm not tall enough to pull the look off properly myself being a teeny 5 foot. I hope you feel better about yourself soon smile

Pac12 Wed 03-Apr-13 15:10:31

Wow! I'd love to be 5' 10" with red hair! I put on weight going thru' the menopause. Looked like a female Winnie the Pooh (after gorging on honey). Like you gave away loads of lovely clothes I'd had made but just looked awful in, too tight not age appropriate etc. I joined a gym with a friend and I do feel better but didn't lose weight then I tried intermittent fasting diet (i've no health issues). Was very cautious did it for about 3-4 weeks only and I've shed about half a stone. It does require discipline and not having to cook on fasting days for others! I will have another few weeks on the regime after easter hols. It helps with blood sugar and cholesterol, apparently. Change is not a bad thing.

EMUZ Thu 04-Apr-13 00:40:12

Can I point you at fullerfigurefullerbust and her blog? She has a blog and Facebook, and wears a lot of 50's/vintage style things. Honestly I read your post and went "yes!" I know!!
I am similar sizing (5'11 red head, hourglass, 32JJ)
I wear a LOT of greens, blues, greys. The boden Emma tunic is my new favourite with a waist belt and boots. M&S 5 pocket jeggings fit me really well and apparently (see above blog) Evans high waisted jeans are great (she has same problem with waist/hip)
I usually stick to v necks or lower necks as polo necks etc make me look shelf like and try to nip my waist in where I can

Chandon Thu 04-Apr-13 08:35:19

EMUZ and fridgepants, I picture you both like Joan, from Mad Men ( Christina Hendrix)...

I think you have to dress to your strengths, and that may be wearing more "grown up" clothes like dresses.

For me, as an hourglass figure at 6ft, wearing dresses is more comfy and looks nicer than jeans. My figure jst suits dresses so much better, wear them most days now.

Why wear jeans, just because everyone else does, if you are more comfy and look nicer in a dress or even (whisper) a tunic.

KayHunt Thu 04-Apr-13 08:52:30

I'll be following this thread with interest, I'm 5'11, with shrinking 32F boobs. I was an hourglass shape.

I've given up trying to find jeans and trousers that fit in both waist and leg length, so I'm focusing on skirts and dresses as they fit so much nicer on me.

EMUZ Thu 04-Apr-13 09:06:57

Not quite Christina grin
i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/brighthair84/25807E6D-43E5-437B-9164-080EA58CAF22-1440-000001664C3B214A.jpg
This is one if my favourite dresses, I have it in 3 colours blush

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 04-Apr-13 09:18:20

I'm a 5'7'' hourglass (30G). One thing you can take comfort from is the fact that you have the ideal shape. Sadly, it's a rarity which is why not many clothes on sale seem to be designed to flatter it.

First thing to do is get fitted for a bra; 36 is a very big back size and I doubt yours is really that wide. Go to John Lewis or look at one of the many helpful MN threads.

You could end all the speculation and angst by going to House of Colour and finding out what colours suit you best - it sometimes gets poo-poo'd on here but it's a great time and money saver.

Even better is to have a style consultation, where you discover what shapes and styles really work for you.

Failing that, there's a naffly-titled book called 'The Science of Sexy,' which shows all the different combinations of height/weight/shape and how to dress them.

As has been said, short, fitted cardigans are good, round-necked tops (v's look wrong on me I find, unless softened with a round vest). Short wrap cardis also good.

Straight skirts - not A-line - with skirt and dress length preferably just on the knee, or short, never below the knee (your legs will be fab and you need to show them off). Also skirts fitted at the waist but flaring out below the tummy if that makes sense.

I can wear an empire shape if it's reasonably fitted - no gathers - and also dresses with a seamed waist are a no no (the waist never sits in the right place). This puts most 50s styles out for me - maybe you're the same.

Drapey tops and dresses are also good, and fake wrap dresses, without the tie at the side which can make the hips look wider.

Never wear anything boxy-shaped.

Laquila Thu 04-Apr-13 09:34:45

Some excellent advice above, particularly this from naturelover:

"When you do find things that fit you/suit you (it DOES take time and patience) then don't hesitate to buy duplicates and return to the same shops again and again. I have figured out what suits me and what I feel comfortable in and I wear variations on that all year around. I'm not going to win prizes for being fashionable or original, but I feel good in those clothes and I get a lot of wear out of them (cost:wear ratio is good!)"

THIS.

I'd disagree with Shotgun's point that 36 is a big bra back size but it's certainly worth getting measured again anyway, and maybe investing in sme really nice, supportive but comfortable underwear that makes you feel better as soon as you out it on.

My own advice would be to, as a rule, only go for clothing that looks as though it could be more expensive than it actually is. (This is easier than you might think.) Steer clear of artificially bright colours and too much synthetic fabric - in my experience it won't wash or age well. If you think you're in between sizes in something and really like it, always size up. Jersey blazers, plain yet posh-looking leather handbags and well-chosen jewellery will smarten up anything. If you find something you really really like, buy three of it, because I PROMISE they will stop making it shortly. Places like Boden are great for free delivery and free returns offers, and you can return things up to a year after purchase, so you don't loose anything by ordering loads of things to try, so you can see what suits you. La Redoute is great for cheap prices and interesting, chic clothing that you don't usually see much on other people (and has good plus ranges). Navy and white striped boat-neck tops with three-quarter sleeves will always look chic. My shopping choices for you would be Marks and Sparks Autograph, Dorothy Perkins, H&M, Boden for tunics and knitwear, Fat Face for tunics and dresses, La Redoute, John Lewis for the range and their personal shoppers (nothing to lose by trying this). Good luck smile I'm a bit jealous - I'd love to have the gumption to throw out most of my wardrobe but I'm a lazy hoarder!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 04-Apr-13 09:47:44

Banana Republic have lots of pencil skirts atm.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 04-Apr-13 10:27:10

yes, straight skirts and nipped in tops. view google images of nigella lawson on a good day. sounds the right style for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now