TIghts and evening wear

(23 Posts)
BrunellaPommelhorse Sun 31-Mar-13 13:37:25

If you were say early 40s, not style vixen not frump and wore a dress kind of like this
www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/phase-eight/Occasion-Dresses/Latoya-Lace-Miracle-Dress/202182351 to an evening do, which tights would you wear?

Am asking as I saw lots of women wearing the 15 denier black type ones and it seemed just a bit wrong somehow.

I know sheer is supposed to be coming back, but that wasnt it.

What would you wear with a dress like that or maybe www.johnlewis.com/whistles-gloria-lace-dress/p398864?colour=Grey that

( dresses only to give an indication of the kind of do)

BackforGood Sun 31-Mar-13 13:39:17

Like the models in the photo - "skin" coloured tights or stockings.

BrunellaPommelhorse Sun 31-Mar-13 13:40:19

Yes I thought so too.
Although had major oompa loompa meself when i got my Marks faves ( 7 denier oiled look) and was so determined not to buy the too light ones as i had before, that I bought SUNTAN, a great shade for summer maybe but not for icy spring

Ooh that Whistles one is gorgeous. I'd wear it with black opaques and black platforms or shoeboots in this weather, or with really good (light) nude tights and silver shoes when warmer.

The first one is too frumpy a length for opaques, so I'd probably wear it with seamed stockings and stilletoes (sp?) were I to wear it, which I wouldn't itms.

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Sun 31-Mar-13 14:51:09

I like the Pretty Polly nylons, they do various colours.

I think either of those dresses would look good with sheer black tights or nude. Or with bare legs.
I can never get my head around nude tights. I keep trying it every year and my legs just look prosthetic in them. I can't understand how to make them work!

perplexedpirate Sun 31-Mar-13 15:51:12

Low denier black tights look so 80s to me. I can't think of a single outfit with which they would work.
I do like a nice fishnet though.

I love how Kirsten Dunst wears low denier black tights here though..

cdn04.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/stewart-roadprem/kristen-stewart-kirsten-dunst-on-the-road-premiere-11.jpg

Something about it working with navy. Love this for colder months, maybe not for daily wear though.

BrunellaPommelhorse Sun 31-Mar-13 16:21:36

Try the 7 denier. You just can't see the fabric

KD looks nice but whoever she's with looks terrible.

BrunellaPommelhorse Sun 31-Mar-13 16:23:55

I don't like them on her

mewkins Sun 31-Mar-13 16:38:56

Sheer black ins make legs look all lumpy. I wore a similar dress to op for a wedding a few weeks ago. Wore Autograph 7 denier natural tan and they you really can't see them ( although they made my legs look normal and not the icy blue they currently are). Wore them with nude/ blush heels.

mewkins Sun 31-Mar-13 16:39:19

Sheer black *ones!!

BrunellaPommelhorse Sun 31-Mar-13 16:53:43

Agree. Are amazing the 7 denier

JennySense Sun 31-Mar-13 17:10:06

Nude fishnets?

noddyholder Sun 31-Mar-13 17:12:54

Falke 8 deniers are lovely but are a bit expensive

Startail Sun 31-Mar-13 17:28:27

Black or navy sheer tights and shoes in winter.

Bare legs and sandals if warmer.

If you are over 40 nude tights are what your Mother wore, wore, with a girdle. I will never wear control underwear either. I may be a lumpy size 16, but I swore aged six I'd never squeeze into a girdle and I never will.

armagh Sun 31-Mar-13 18:18:33

Startail i agree with you. I think Kate Middleton has brought back the nude tight look cos she 's not allowed have bare legs. Though i thought she'd be strong enough to say 'f* that' to the courtiers.

Lambzig Sun 31-Mar-13 18:25:08

If you look closely Kirsten Dunstable is wearing fishnets in that pic.

I've always worn nude tights, I don't get the animosity towards them on here grin and I hate black opaques <ducks and runs>

Letticetheslug Sun 31-Mar-13 18:29:23

as a fifty something person, I am chuckling at this thread, nearly black very sheer tights definitely, leg-coloured tights were definitely what your mum wore...I guess what goes around , comes around!

BrunellaPommelhorse Sun 31-Mar-13 20:01:44

My mum never wore a girdle.

Ashoething Sun 31-Mar-13 20:10:49

Im with scented-I always wear nude tights or hold-ups or fishnets once the better weather-ha!-starts coming in. I have terrible varicose veins and excezma and no way can I go bare legged. I like seamed stockings or hold ups too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now