"everyone's blonde nowadays"

(57 Posts)
NinaNannar Thu 28-Mar-13 10:52:48

so speaketh my mother.. and it got me wondering. I wonder fi they are?

I do sometimes look at women obviously very brown of hair who keep dying it blonde ( or more often greeny grey blonde) and wonder why they dont choose c shade darker that might tone in with your complexion

I have never been blonde - is it a scratch youve got to itch? DO you go lighter and lighter all the time?

Doh. I forgot my Mnet haircut examples were on my profile blush

Hotcross Your hair is awesome.

I'm brunette, blonde and pink. It saves the dithering over what colour hair dye to pick from the shop if you just do them all at once grin

QueenCadbury Sat 30-Mar-13 20:04:27

Blonde hair gets darker due to hormonal influence I think as I had white blonde hair until puberty set in and it's definitely got darker with each pregnancy. As other natural blondes have said though it goes lovely in the summer.

sensesworkingovertime Sat 30-Mar-13 19:04:40

your mother is wrong.

Kellylesley Sat 30-Mar-13 18:16:48

I am brunette naturally but have it dyed and highlighted a caramel blonde as I have loads of white grey hairs and dark colours just don't cover it, I am in my 30's and not prepared to go grey gracefully!

Trills Sat 30-Mar-13 16:45:25

KandyBarr

some brunette women never get over the fact that they were once little blonde girls.

Judging by old photos, if DP were a woman he would have started on sun-in at 13, then had highlights, and now be a dyed blonde with no clue as to his actual hair colour. His hair is a medium brown. Not mousy or dark blonde but a perfectly normal brown.

armagh Sat 30-Mar-13 16:23:38

Why do so many people born blonde go darker (naturally) ? I'd love to know the reason.

wonkylegs Sat 30-Mar-13 13:25:20

I'm a natural blonde, one of four blonde children to parents with mousey & brunette hair. As a child I was White blonde and desperately wanted black hair like my best friend. My brothers both have long blonde curly hair, my sister periodically dyes her curly hair different shades of blonde.
I have remained blonde but now it's more of a sandy/honey blonde with some brighter natural highlights.
I've never dyed it and I've never cut it much shorter than it is (mid back wavy) because i'm a wimp and everyone says it's lovely even if I'm never sure. I am extremely pale with blue eyes so blonde looks right although I darken both eyelashes & eyebrows as they are so pale they get lost on my face.
I have a blonde DS although we're not sure if he'll take after mum or dad in the long run.

EmpressMaud Sat 30-Mar-13 13:00:30

My natural hair is a medium blonde, but I've always had it lightened to a brighter blonde. Have just had it put back to my more natural colour blonde and like it much more.

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Sat 30-Mar-13 12:57:05

I have the same thing Leucan regarding how my hair colour changing with the seasons despite me never having dyed it. It has been described as dirty blonde, ice cream blonde, champagne blonde...brunette hair does seen to be more consistent!

Phaedra11 Sat 30-Mar-13 09:23:40

I have a friend who is in her early 50s (but looks younger) and Pakistani who dyes her hair blonde.

When I first met her, I thought "God, why?" but now I know her better, I've found out that it's a lot to do with wanting to defy the expectations she feels people have of women of her age and culture!

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sat 30-Mar-13 05:48:38

There are a lot of them, it's true. It goes in waves. When it gets too crazy I go brunette for a while, and I must say I'm feeling the urge about now.

peasandlove Sat 30-Mar-13 04:49:21

I was naturally a very dark brunette, then the grey arrived and it went almost black with a build up of semi permanent colours. Now I'm blonde and I love it, better than colouring hair every couple of weeks the grey gets blended in with highlights. I have pale skin/freckles/blue eyes and the blonde looks natural

Popcornia Fri 29-Mar-13 20:44:33

Blonde is one of those fantasy hair colours, isn't it? I've never tried it (too scare of the upkeep), though I've done flaming copper quite successfully in my youth.

Now I am fighting the creeping grey by sticking close to my natural colour with a few hand-painted dark gold highlights thrown in. After years of keeping my hair long I've finally succumbed to the sharp bob, though.

Cakethrow Fri 29-Mar-13 20:02:47

kandybarr your friend has it spot on with my XMIL and XP.
They were both blonde as children but now have a mousy/mid brown colour hair. They still both describe it as 'blonde'. When I pointed out that it is now brown XMIL would always, without fail, talk about how her/XP's hair used to be blonde.
Bizarre.

I'm naturally a very dark brown but have to dye it every couple of weeks now to keep the grey at bay. I would look hideous with blonde hair.

twentythirteen Fri 29-Mar-13 19:49:58

I'm a brunette, for a couple of years I got honey coloured highlights. It did gradually all become quite light, saw a pic if myself and stopped! I've been natural for two years and love having highlights again, only these are natural, grey!

I'm an endangered blonde. It mutates noticeably in a way I don't think dark hair does. In a hot Summer, it looks as though I were raised in California, going practically white. An overcast Summer like last year's, and it sulks around the dishwater line.

I had a bit of a mid-life crisis a few months ago and decided to dye it really white. Not bothering to read the instructions, I'm now gingery-blonde and it looks appalling. I keep meaning to do something about it, but... meh.

Varya Fri 29-Mar-13 19:45:59

Grey haired but have it dyed dark blonde. Never really seen my grey/white hair - got it dyed before it really began to take over. Dark blonde in my younger days.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 29-Mar-13 19:33:55

I went proper white blonde once, years ago. My hair felt like straw and I needed dark make up to carry it off!

I'm now a whole lot older and my natural gingery tone, mingled with a growing number of greys!

EostreChaoticResurrEggtion Fri 29-Mar-13 19:12:18

I went blond once and once was enough hmm I had my hair cut short at the same and when my friend's then 10 month old son looked at me he burst into tears. I got the message grin

I've been red in the past and dark brown but am currently light brown. I have to keep dying it to keep the grey away though.

bishboschone Fri 29-Mar-13 18:53:41

It's interesting , I am fair but dh dark . Borg my dc are very blonde . I'm always amazed how many people comment on how lucky I am that they have beautiful blonde hair !! As a fair person I would rather have olive skin and dark hair but there you go .

Beamae Thu 28-Mar-13 17:57:17

I have been trying to escape the blonde highlights for years! I hate them. They are such a uniform. I used to sit around a meeting table at work and cringe that all the other over 30s seemed to have the same colour hair as me. Now I go to baby groups and it's the same. A glut of blonde highlights. I don't suit all over colour brown so keep trying to tone it down to a light brown over successive colours with low lights. But whenever I have to try a new hair colourist I end up back where I started. We moved county 7 months ago so new hairdresser, assumes they know what I want, and despite me quite clearly saying I don't want light blonde highlights here I am again with bleached hair. It's lazy hairdressing. Or a conspiracy. One of the two.

ChippyMinton Thu 28-Mar-13 17:20:04

I was a natural brunette, now I'm a natural grey blonde.

I'd rather be blonde than have a badger stripe.

spottyparrot Thu 28-Mar-13 17:16:53

I think people look really nice with their natural colour because it will suit their skin tone in the vast majority of cases. I think some people don't realise how nice their actual hair colour is when they dye it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now