KLAXON: I've got a pain-free way to get fit while watching TV!

(33 Posts)

I hate sport & have always struggled with exercising. Was a bit of a blob, especially round the middle. But over the past few weeks I have firmed up, improved my posture and lost weight, and it's all due to ... ta dah!...

Watching Pointless and/or Eggheads each day while using...

A HULA HOOP smile

DD bought one last year after seeing Grace Jones using one at the Jubilee concert, then left it behind when she went to Uni in Sept. I tried it & couldn't get the hang of it at first, then it suddenly clicked, & I've got into the habit of giving it a go when I'm watching TV alone. 10 mins, then sit down for 10 mins.

So over the past few weeks I've done this & also done some stretches before & after, just touch toes, shrug shoulders etc., & have noticed that my stomach seems firmer & I can stand up straighter.

This morning I weighed myself & I've gone from 10 stone at Christmas to 9.3 shock

sorry I've been away from MN for a bit - anyway, Yes, my Davina hoop does wobble a bit. It's soft & padded but quite heavy, seems as if it may fall apart but hasn't so far.

DD can do it the other way but I can't - takes practice, -- a lot of practice-- she says

As for these people who get bruising on their hips - huh! So you have no flab padding there, then? I vary my routine by using the hoop around my hips/bum. It stays up for, ooh, seconds.

How are you all getting on?

Annianni Wed 03-Apr-13 22:23:01

Hooping4life 40" black/pink hoop £17-99 from Amazon.

Sorry but I can't link, new phone hmm

tillyann2013 Wed 03-Apr-13 22:22:52

I NEED one!!!!!

MorrisZapp Wed 03-Apr-13 22:22:05

I inherited my SILs hoop. It's awesome! I need a lot of room though. I do mine with my iPod on, blasting some choons. Works up a blooming good sweat. I couldn't do it for ages and nearly gave it to charity but suddenly it clicked and now I can hoop away like anything.

My SIL just couldn't do it.

tillyann2013 Wed 03-Apr-13 22:16:43

Annianni, which one did you buy?

Annianni Wed 03-Apr-13 21:24:11

I can do it grin

It's ace but I'm shattered and I ache already so tomorrow should be fun.

Annianni Wed 03-Apr-13 15:52:17

I still can't keep it up for long though, it doesn't help that the ds's keep laughing at me.

heirtotheironthrone Wed 03-Apr-13 15:43:33

I am two weeks in to a six week hula hooping class, it's ACE. Sadly my little flat does not allow for telly hooping though...

Annianni Wed 03-Apr-13 15:34:03

The davina hoop was returned for being crap and wobbly.

Black and pink amazon hoop has just arrived and it's much easier to use as it's solid and rigid.

The ds's are loving the huge box that it came in too grin

determinedma Mon 01-Apr-13 10:04:45

There's a good hula hoop game on the Wii where you don't actually need a hoop. Great if you have a small space to operate in

Dancealot Sun 31-Mar-13 21:37:47

You have inspired me to order a hula hoop from amazon! I had a quick read-up and apparently large hoops are easier than small. Quick question Miranda- do you change direction when hula hooping or do you always circle your hips the same way??

VivaLeBeaver Sat 30-Mar-13 07:41:24

I've never been ale to hula hoop, neither can dd so she can't show me. I could do imaginary hula hooping I suppose like on the wii fit.

Annianni Sat 30-Mar-13 06:55:40

My bum, waist and hips are aching today.
So I assume it's working.

kirrinIsland Fri 29-Mar-13 21:53:40

I have one of these and I just can't do it! It's huge and I find it impossible - I had also assumed a smaller hoop would be easier.

My shred DVD is also still in the wrapper.

Annianni Fri 29-Mar-13 21:40:26

I've just ordered a solid weighted one from amazon.

I'll give that a go.

Annianni Fri 29-Mar-13 21:20:35

Miranda is your hoop wobbly?

This Davina one is a bit floppy, I thought hula hoops should be rigid.
So when it rotates, you can see it wobble.

Might take it back and look for a sturdier one.

Annianni Fri 29-Mar-13 20:37:33

I had another go today, still can't do it.
I shall try again shortly grin

revolvenotevolve Fri 29-Mar-13 20:20:18

ordering one now - I hope to make it a party trick within a week !!

Free marriage bonding session smile

Yes, keep it up (har har!) It does get easier.

Agree about the lightweight ones - they are useless, had a kid's one years ago & never did manage it.

Annianni Thu 28-Mar-13 23:07:05

Hula hooping was hilarious.
Dh had a go after me and we were crying with laughter.

I couldn't keep it up for long though.
I'll have another go tomorrow.

Sparklegeek Thu 28-Mar-13 20:08:44

You need a proper weighted hoop, not one as light as air like they use in primary school. And yes, it needs to be big for an adult to get the hang of it.

I bought one a few years ago after reading about legendary middle-toning properties. I picked it up pretty quickly but unfortunately it gave me the most horrendous bruising on my hip bones, really painful! So I tried tying a flat pashmina around my hips to try & create more of a barrier but that just made it too difficult to hula sad Gah!

Pseudonymity Thu 28-Mar-13 15:25:50

No! A smaller hoop is much more difficult. Right, I'm going to Argos...baaaa

Yes, please let me know how you get on! As for the clicking thing, do you have a dc who could show you? Mine just laughed at me hmm anyway, just keep at it. I think a smaller hoop might be easier, but it did suddenly click with me at last. Just keep trying!

I really do feel slimmer and fitter now, and I have been 13 stone in the past -- too much chocolate. And pregnancy--

armagh Thu 28-Mar-13 09:11:40

Finallygotroundtoit I'm with you theregrin

Annianni Thu 28-Mar-13 07:37:15

I've ordered that one from Argos, it's £12-99.
I shall report back later.

Hopefully it'll be better than the shred DVD that I bought after it being recommended on here... but is still in the packet grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now