Matte or sparkly eyeshadow

(22 Posts)
Lozislovely Tue 26-Mar-13 18:57:06

Well I got to Superdrug today as was working in another office but they didn't have any of the palettes in stock, only one that had blushes and some too bright eye colours sad

So in a moment of panic given i was going to be late back from lunch I legged it into John Lewis and bought the new Bobbi Brown lilac rose eye palette. The colours look absolutely what I've been looking for and I hope and pray to dear god that the £45 I've been fleeced for is worth it!blush

Never knew a few flipping eyeshadows could cost so much (though on reflection the fact that they don't display their prices should have been the giveaway).

Primer will have to wait til next month.

(Note to self - NEVER panic buy again)

Iatemyskinnyperson Mon 25-Mar-13 22:16:46

Oh and the Maybelline colour tattoos are great, and there is a light pink one...

Iatemyskinnyperson Mon 25-Mar-13 22:15:49

Rimmell has a new eyeshadow primer - white tube with red lid. It's v good!!

ZacharyQuack Mon 25-Mar-13 20:57:14

You could try eye primer to get the shadow something to stick to. A neutral creme eyeshadow underneath powder can work as a primer. Try doing your eyes before putting makeup on the rest of your face, so that it's easy to clean up any fall-out on your cheeks. If you use a brush to apply shadow, try patting it on rather than sweeping it across your eye, this can help shimmer stay put.

If you want to try a creme shadow, Maybelline Colour Tattoos are cheap and stay put.

TallulahBetty Mon 25-Mar-13 18:35:58

You can buy MUA online, although obvs you can't see it before you buy it. Ive got several items from them apart from the palettes and can't fault any of it.

Lozislovely Mon 25-Mar-13 18:16:31

Thanks all. Couldn't get to John Lewis today but hopefully tomorrow.

They closed down the Superdrug in our town angry and I've read some good stuff about MUA so will def make a trip elsewhere to have a look.

TallulahBetty Mon 25-Mar-13 13:08:05

Another vote for Make Up Academy palettes. I have 3 of them, such good quality for the price and lovely selection of colours in matte and shimmer.

BinksToEnlightenment Mon 25-Mar-13 12:50:00

It is eyeshadow primer you need. Then the glitter has something to grip on to. Urban Decay do a good one.

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 25-Mar-13 10:41:00

I can 100% recommend the Superdrug mua (make up academy) palettes of 12 or 14 colours, for £3, using a primer underneath. And I have only ever bought top end eyeshadows in the past. I never will again. The Undressed and Heaven and Earth palettes have every colour I would ever wear.

41notTrendy Mon 25-Mar-13 09:22:00

I have Sleek eye palettes from Superdrug. I love them. I have 'storm' and a matt one that I can't remember the name of. Recommended by Pixiwoo!

ScooseIsLooseOnTheLoopyJuice Mon 25-Mar-13 09:16:27

I am obsessed with urban decay eye shadows and have four of their palettes it's the only eyeshadow I use. Someone mentioned the naked palette but they are more neutrals no pinks in there. I do find their shimmery eyeshadows good but you do get the glitter under your eyes as well as where you want it. A tip for this is to apply a heavy ish dusting of loose powder under your eyes before applying eyeshadow and then you can just brush it away once your shadow is applied. It does help. smile

SunshineOutdoors Mon 25-Mar-13 08:02:46

The one I have isn't loreal sorry, it's maybelline and called dream mousse eyecolor. Is dead easy to put on with fingers, I'm crap at putting makeup on and find this always looks great.

nipersvest Sun 24-Mar-13 22:29:26

don't know if i have done the right thing or not but i had read on here and elsewhere about the make up academy version of the urban decay palette so have bought one on ebay, was only £5 ish. will see if it's ok when it arrives, bit nervous about it as i don't normally wear make up, haven't done for about 15 years or so, but am feeling like i need to start again now i'm in my 40's so i look a little more human grin

Lozislovely Sun 24-Mar-13 22:24:02

Thanks Timid - reckon a trip to John Lewis in my lunch break tomorrow is in order!!!

timidviper Sun 24-Mar-13 22:17:19

I love them Loz and they do not run out that expensive as Bobbi Brown makeup is usually fairly minimalist. For everyday eyes I just use cream shadow in Sand Dollar, gel eye liner in Espresso Ink and mascara. A pot of cream shadow lasts me ages.

I always used to do my eyes with 2 or 3 different shades/colours and blend them till I started using this stuff but this is so easy.

My DD loves the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette and says that is all the shadows she could ever need.

Lozislovely Sun 24-Mar-13 21:59:43

Ooh Nars am liking the Laura Mercier, thank you!!!

Lozislovely Sun 24-Mar-13 21:58:27

@ timid - are they worth the £££? I've coveted Bobbi Brown for a long time but have always held back just in case I splurge and regret it!

nars Sun 24-Mar-13 21:57:04

i like laura mercier luster in african violet

it doesn't travel anywhere but where you put it and lasts

Lozislovely Sun 24-Mar-13 21:56:58

Thanks Sunshine, I don't mind a shimmer so long as it stays where I put itgrin at the minute I look like I've stuck glitter all over my cheeks!!!!!

timidviper Sun 24-Mar-13 21:53:33

I use the Bobbi Brown cream shadows and they have just brought them out in stick form so you don't have to use a brush to put them on

SunshineOutdoors Sun 24-Mar-13 21:49:20

I've got a new eyeshadow I love it's by loreal I think called something mousse, it's creamy consistency and goes on really easily and doesn't migrate into eyelid creases. I'll find it tomorrow and tell you the proper name of it. The one I got has a slight shimmer.

Lozislovely Sun 24-Mar-13 21:42:12

Ok, so I think I've found 'my' colours - light pink all over, an orangey pink on lids, a dash of brown on the outer crease and a splash of brighter pink under the brow. BUT the shimmery shadows tend to end up more on my cheekbone than my eyelid so I was wondering whether matt would be the way to go??? Or do I just need a better brand than Revlon???

Have seen the Urban Decay palette but would welcome your views before spending ££!!! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now