convince me this is fine... my mum has made me feel like shit, which I know shouldn't matter at my age but it has pissed me off (red lipstick related)

(36 Posts)
Fairylea Sat 23-Mar-13 17:31:28

Ok so today I treated myself to a bright red matte retro lipstick and lip liner (ruby woo from mac). I used to work on make up counters so I've always worn make up so I'm not daft when it comes to applying it well etc. I just wanted something different.

I came home and applied it and answered the door to my mum (who is a pain in the arse at the best of times anyway but.....) who visibly recoiled in horror and said, "oh.... it's... terribly bright".

So she hated it. I think it looked fine!

Why do I care what she thinks anyway. Ho hum.

But a part of me is thinking do I look silly??

Red lips are ok aren't they? In your early 30's with minimal rest of make up (foundation, powder and mascara).

Persuade me I will be glam and not daft. I feel hurt.

fuckinginanelevator Sun 24-Mar-13 22:40:49

I wear it every day!

lovesherdogstoomuch Sun 24-Mar-13 22:03:10

OP. so funny what you say about yr mum. they are v annoying. my mum annoyed me within 15 seconds of arriving at our house on Thurs evening. chin chin. xx

Fairylea Sun 24-Mar-13 21:08:45

Ha! Sorry it did turn into a bit of a rant about my mum.... it's been very cathartic for me to vent on here.

I feel a lot better now.

The texture of ruby woo is lovely, it's really worth the money in my opinion.. I haven't found another red I like as much, although ones from rimmel come close.

McGilly Sun 24-Mar-13 20:37:43

Ok OP I think you've explained everything about your mum now!

I think red lips [italics]and nothing else] looks so fantastic. Not even foundation.

SayMama Sun 24-Mar-13 20:08:38

Be loud and proud! I always think matte red lips look really glam. I'd love the same thing but can't find a budget alternative!

Fairylea Sun 24-Mar-13 18:27:05

Oooh lots of posts smile thanks for all the replies and opinions.

I think my mum probably just has very different ideas of what looks good than I do... for example, messy bun hair dos are really fashionable at the moment but she's always made me feel I look awful with my hair pulled back as ever since I've been a teenager she always pulls a face like a cats bum and says, "oh it's very severe...."

This coming from the woman who dyes her hair brassy blonde at age 63 and insists on wearing a multi coloured gold and green silk scarf with everything to brighten things up - apparently.

Hmmm.

smile

I wore the ruby woo today but I did chicken out a little and toned it down witha nude gloss .... I'm warming up to wearing it loud and proud!

polyhymnia Sun 24-Mar-13 17:42:26

Limit not lit.

polyhymnia Sun 24-Mar-13 16:17:04

As. Non red lipstickover - perhaps a generation thing as someone suggested I really doubt your mum would look great in it. I think it's incredibly harsh and ageing on an older woman - drains colour emphasised lines etc Haven't worn it since university myself . But if you're in twenties and thirties and with the right colouring and style I guess you can get away with it.
With clothes I don't think age needs to lit what you wear within obvious common sense parameters - but with red lips I'm afraid it's
different, IMO.

nars Sun 24-Mar-13 15:42:51

i have ruby woo, don't think it's a particularly bright shade of red!

DolomitesDonkey Sun 24-Mar-13 15:39:33

Funnily enough I bought a new red yest. I tried it on this morning and my husband said with a green wig and a purple jacket I'd look like the joker! wink

rubyrubyruby Sun 24-Mar-13 14:21:15

...... people don't like change.

McGilly Sun 24-Mar-13 12:18:16

Today I bought a Revlon Fire and Ice in vintage case (new lippie!) and I can't wait to wear it on school run. I am far older than you OP!

McGilly Sun 24-Mar-13 12:15:04

Sounds stunning. The brighter the better ... Bet your mum would look good in it too. Maybe it was a bit retro for her?! I love that Forties strong lips/clean eyes look.

Crunchymunchyhoneycakes Sun 24-Mar-13 12:09:56

I'm very jealous of your mac ruby woo, my budget won't stretch to that! If you're looking for nice matte reds the Kate Moss ones for Rimmel (110 and 111) are pretty good.

I bet you look great. I'll be 35 this year and wear red lippy quite often.

makingdoo Sun 24-Mar-13 12:05:39

I looooove red lippy and have only started wearing it in the last year or so on a night out. I'm not brave enough to wear it to work just yet but I'm working up to it.

I think it really suits me and I get lots of compliments when u wear it.....
except from DH. He hates it! He always makes that face whenever I wear it (or any kind of non nude/soft colour).
It does upset me but then I just think its his problem and I feel good wearing it!

Go for it and ignore your mum.

Turquoiseblue Sun 24-Mar-13 09:57:32

Love red Lippy - ruby woo is a great shade it s not to over powering smile wear it and enjoy it.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 24-Mar-13 08:34:51

I'm lucky in that respect, my mum likes the kind of make-up usually seen in Priscilla, queen of the desert. grin

Your look sounds a classic.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 24-Mar-13 08:34:51

I'm lucky in that respect, my mum likes the kind of make-up usually seen in Priscilla, queen of the desert. grin

Your look sounds a classic.

My DH is always very scathing if I wear red lipstick - but I've got really thin lips so it doesn't suit me anyway .
I save it for Hallowe'en only. sad hmm

lovesherdogstoomuch Sat 23-Mar-13 21:05:09

sometimes Mums blurt things out and then regret. she probably didnt mean it. wear your lovely lippy next time you see her. see what she says.;)

AndTwoBits Sat 23-Mar-13 21:04:15

I'm 36 btw

AndTwoBits Sat 23-Mar-13 21:03:44

Red lipstick makes me feel sexy - every woman should have one in her make up bag IMO. I wear thick black flicky eyeliner, and full on red lippy and it cheers me right up. Keep wearing it is my advice!

7to25 Sat 23-Mar-13 20:41:31

Your mum is probably my age or a little older. To us, red lipstick was of the previous generation, the 1940's and 50's and looked dry and dated.
The nudes and naturals were much more modern looking.
Things have come full circle and we just have to get used to it!

currentlyconfuseddotcom Sat 23-Mar-13 20:31:54

I love red lipstick, bet it looks brilliant!! My mum tells me that I look 'like a postbox' when I wear it so praps it's a mum thing?!

Fyouimfabulous Sat 23-Mar-13 20:25:20

I love red lippy, and I have deep red hair (naturally ginger so skin tone suits). I am currently in lust with Kate Moss Rimmel 107, and wear it even for work, nobody bats an eyelid.
Wear what you want, that you feel happy and confident wearing, nobodies opinion matters but yours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now