What on earth is a day dress?

(12 Posts)

I've been invited to a posh event in a few weeks time and on the invitation it says to wear a day dress (even though its an evening jobbie)
Now I am the opposite of posh and groomed and I have no idea what this means?!
Can anyone advise please.

Google is proving to be entirely fruitless. I've got a nice dress but its all summery (linen) and it comes to just above the knees. Is that the sort of thing or is it supposed to be long and more glam in which case I'm a bit stuffed!

Euphemia Fri 22-Mar-13 17:22:48

I think it's not an evening dress, so not long, shiny or fancy-wancy.

I'm a total pleb, though ...

Phineyj Fri 22-Mar-13 17:24:34

I'd say not long and fabric appropriate for day time e.g. Gold lurex prob. not appropriate.

ok, thats good as I dont have anything of that description!

I hope its warm because otherwise my blue limbs will clash with my dress! (last worn about 8 years ago!)

grin at gold lurex! that would make me stand out!

Selks Fri 22-Mar-13 17:28:28
OwnedByACockerSpaniel Fri 22-Mar-13 17:30:59

its not an evening dress (long gown) not a cocktail dress (party dress) it's a day dress, usually more modest, something more wearable think coffee with the girls rather than night on the town.

FrugalFashionista Fri 22-Mar-13 17:38:54

The posh day dress is usually knee-length, bright colored, pastel or white, combined with a colorful clutch and possibly chunky jewellery. Day materials: cotton, silk, wool, not shiny or sequined. Patterned is very this season. You'll get a good idea browsing Matches and Outnet pages.
Diane von Furstenberg wrap dresses are the archetype.

Coffee with the girls with my crowd is jeans and t shirts grin

Very helpful everyone, thank you! The link has put me on the right track as have the descriptions and names. I might need to go shopping depending on the weather forecast. I'm hoping it will warm up.

I don't need a hat do I? It's indoors.

mewkins Fri 22-Mar-13 18:43:07

Wear trousers grin

Well it does offer the option of a lounge suit. I could hire one of those, much less complicated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now