Expensive products that aren't worth it and alternatives

(121 Posts)
susiefen Thu 21-Mar-13 20:12:21

Inspired by the previous "beauty products you hate" thread, I thought it might be starting one for products that you've spent a lot on but been disappointed. I'll start with the Estee Lauder serum everyone raves about but I don't find it's done anything for me and also Creme de la Mer - absolutely lovely and smells utterly divine, but I'm not sure it's done more for my skin over the last 6 months than Olay ever did...

Flo825 Fri 24-May-13 08:10:26

What a fantastic thread! I don't suppose anyone has a recommendation for a good (cheap) alternative for Clarins Hydraquench tinted moisturiser in blonde (11) please? Or Clinique lash power mascara? I live in the sticks and it's such a trog to get them, a cheaper alternative would at least let me feel like I was getting a bargain for my 2 hour round trip.

tearoomtrash Sat 18-May-13 22:52:22

Most of the high end make up that I've tried has left me disappointed. Especially MAC. Although, i do rate Origins "Pinch Your Cheeks" gel blusher, Benefit "Benetint" lip & cheek stain, Benefit "Brow Zings" (lasts for years), and Nails Inc "Kensington Caviar Topcoat". These are my "regulars" I suppose.

My favourite mascara is the Aldi Lacura volumising waterproof (it really IS waterproof though & needs oil to remove!), Vaseline is the best highlighter & lip gloss. I'm using the Collection 2000 translucent loose powder at the moment, which is fine, but prefer the No.7 equivalent.

I agree that Tweezerman tweezers are by far the best, and also love their 10x magnifying mirror (not pretty though - can see inside every pore)

FJL203 Sat 18-May-13 22:51:25

I've a couple of questions for all you experts please.

I've been wearing all manner of not very satisfactory foundations for years but the one I loved and which I'd really like to find a match/alternative for is EL's Lucidity. Any suggestions please?

And what's the best mascara? I have long blonde lashes which need thickening. I usually use Clinique.

Thanks!

tearoomtrash Sat 18-May-13 22:29:53

Used to use the full Clarins hydraquench range, and their orchid oil, as well as having monthly triactive facials. Ran out during a particularly broke few months and ended up using Dove soap (50odd pence) and Nivea Soft moisturiser (less than £2 a tube) - my skin was as good as it had been with he Clarins, if not softer, so I haven't gone back.

Still rate the Triactive facials though. 1hour 20 mins of pure bliss...

KateSpade Sat 18-May-13 16:06:10

Ive just read all five pages

my two penneth is Olay Beauty Fluid, it's about £4/5 and bloody amazing, i even found it brilliant for my body.

also, has anyone ever had a reaction to No7 Products? Each time i try anything, it stings my face off? I've never had a reaction to a product before, but its every bloody No7 thing..

Callalilly Sat 18-May-13 15:40:28

peachy pips

I have never tried EL double wear foundation, but heard lots (good and bad) things about it. I love Vichy Dermablend Fluid Corrective Foundation 16 hrs. It covers my rosacea beautifully. It gives full coverage, yet it is light. Apply a small amount of product and blend well ( I found foundation brush or fingers if I'm in a hurry works best).

I found this a little bit too heavy for the summer months. I tend to use Clinique Moisture Surge tinted moistruiser then. I also want to test their new CC cream.

Bodicea Fri 29-Mar-13 16:06:04

Boots number 7 hot cloth cleanser similar to liz Earle hot cloth cleanser and is a tenner but I get it when I get a £5 number 7 voucher

LaTrucha Fri 29-Mar-13 13:39:46

It's no longer in my local Superdrug either.

armagh Fri 29-Mar-13 10:06:43

Ex Ratty what brand is it please?

armagh Fri 29-Mar-13 10:05:38

I think Une is being discontinued or repackaged. The stand in the Boots (2) near me are being emptied and not being replenished.

auldspinster Thu 28-Mar-13 19:56:58

Palmers do unscented stuff for all the smell haters. Epaderm and eucerin work wonders on my scaley shins.

GoingVerySlowlyMad Thu 28-Mar-13 14:29:07

Well all my stuff arrived from MUA and I'm really impressed, can't believe I hadn't heard of it before! Their new power power pouts are absolutely fab, I got rendezvous and it's a very natural pink on me. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed in is the mascara wand as it's a bit too long and flimsy and hard to get a good coating on.

idococktailshedoesbeer Thu 28-Mar-13 12:26:15

Well I tried Mac nail polish for the first time, I buy my other make-up from there so visit the counter regularly and I was tempted by the lovely colour, but it's absolutely awful. Really thin, takes loads of coats, then it chips straight away.

Nails Inc and Ciate are much better.

wildfig Thu 28-Mar-13 12:18:07

claudia I didn't realise Bourjois was behind Une - that's really interesting. I liked the colours, but the packaging always seemed rather clunky and bulky to me, which didn't fit with the organicy message. Same with MyFace. The thing that makes MAC colours so addictive is that you can get five of those tiny pots in one make-up bag...

LaTrucha Thu 28-Mar-13 10:14:06

They do it in Superdrug too. I don't know if it's on offer there though.

I bought some Mua eyeshadow but didn't find t stayed that well. It was glittery too though. Mabe the Naked pallette is different.

ClaudiaCutie Wed 27-Mar-13 18:14:19

Une makeup is owned by Borjois (sp?) and was targetted at the pure & natural Islington/macrobiotic crowd, but didn't appear to have much marketting oomph behind it, so perhaps the brand is being closed out in the UK?

GoingVerySlowlyMad Wed 27-Mar-13 17:50:49

Remus The stand in our boots was completely empty on Monday when I went to get more of their sheer lipstick. Am pretty devastated as I loved it, will try the Revlon lip butter instead as it looks pretty similar and gets good reviews.

BeckyBrandon Wed 27-Mar-13 17:43:37

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Yup, so true.

ItsintheBag - I think so but as Remus said everyone is so diff, it lasts well on me, but I do use a primer.

Thanks for all the leg recs - what is aha?

If anybody's Boots stocks Une make up, they had 75% off last week and their lipstick/balm cross things are superb - about £2.50 now with the offer. I suspect they've been discontinued but are worth snapping up if there are any left.

CareerGirl01 Wed 27-Mar-13 16:45:38

Chanel nail polish - it chips within a few hours.
Clinique DDM lotion - Dermalogica intensive moisteriser is far better - heavyweight but not greasy.
Expensive foot creams - EL used to do a particularly pricy one. CCS foot cream is £7 for a large pack, last ages and makes even the most dinosaur dry of feet soft. It sometimes comes with free socks you can use overnight.

GoingVerySlowlyMad Wed 27-Mar-13 15:43:27

This thread is fab! In recent years I've subbed a lot of the pricier products in favour of cheaper alternatives. Love the astral cream for after shaving my legs. The palmers oil prevented any stretchmarks, smell used to irritate me at times though. However still use Benefit hoola bronzer and clinique naturally glossy mascara, have never found a cheaper alternative that works for me.

Ordered loads of things from the MUA website last night for £14, was blown away! Can't wait for it all to arrive, especially the undressed palette, used to always use UD eyeshadows before kids made me poor the kids came along so can't wait to see if it's any good.

GeorgiePorgiePudding Wed 27-Mar-13 15:05:33

No expensive (and by that I mean over £4!) body lotion, oil or cream has ever compared to Superdrug £2 Coconut oil.

Similarly, no hair conditioner, especially leave-in stuff, compares to a tiny tiny blob of Coconut oil.

ItsintheBag Wed 27-Mar-13 14:58:15

MrsM thank you for the feedback.I just don't wear eye make enough to justify the Naked pallet really, but it looks so nice!
I think I will give the undressed ones a try.

MrsMeow Wed 27-Mar-13 14:30:03

itsinthebag butting in sorry, but I swear by the Undressed pallettes, I have 1 and 2, they are amazing and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between them and the UD ones (which I've also used)

They last all day on me and I rarely if ever use a primer first.

ItsintheBag Wed 27-Mar-13 14:20:15

Becky is the Naked pallet alternative good? Does it last on your eye.

I really want the Naked pallet but it's expensive and so would love to know if something else is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now