Expensive products that aren't worth it and alternatives

(165 Posts)
susiefen Thu 21-Mar-13 20:12:21

Inspired by the previous "beauty products you hate" thread, I thought it might be starting one for products that you've spent a lot on but been disappointed. I'll start with the Estee Lauder serum everyone raves about but I don't find it's done anything for me and also Creme de la Mer - absolutely lovely and smells utterly divine, but I'm not sure it's done more for my skin over the last 6 months than Olay ever did...

swooosh Mon 27-Apr-15 15:56:35

Ah I'll go and check my B&M, can never have enough palettes grin

Thanks charity.

Charityworker34 Mon 27-Apr-15 14:38:38

Swoosh- try The Body Shop Honey Bronze powder

daftyburd Mon 27-Apr-15 11:57:56

Swoosh if you have a B&M near you they had the w7 palettes in! Less than a fiver each. I bought a couple.

swooosh Mon 27-Apr-15 11:18:38

Brill when I suffered that problem I used to buy cradle cap shampoo, it worked a treat!

swooosh Mon 27-Apr-15 11:17:51

I used to use EL DW but found it made my skin dry and spotty. I now use MAC studio fix fluid which is so much nicer. Sorry not a cheaper dupe!

What are good dupes is a brand called w7 which you can buy via Amazon. The 'In The Buff' palette is an exact dupe for the Naked 2 palette. The quality is fab, think it was only about a fiver. Colours are highly pigmented which I use alongside my MAC colours and they last the duration. The brand 2 true (superdrug sells) 'tints' which are the same as the Benefit ones. I also love Sleek makeup, they sell a palette for contour and highlighting which has dupes for NARS Orgasm and highlighter in it, once again great product.

Somebody upthread mentioned cream cleaners. I swear by Boots 'cold cream' a pot is less than £5 and lasts about 7 months. I rub this into my face including over eyes to remove makeup and wipe clean with a couple of Huggies Pure (beige packet) babywipes. My skin is in the best condition it has ever been. I also use a No7 electric cleansing brush - dupe for Clarisonic Mia every 10 days or so.

What I'm looking for is a good alternative for Benefit Hoola bronzer if anybody knows one?

lavenderhoney Sun 26-Apr-15 21:02:46

Jet, I do mean peony blush - thank yousmile

Remus- I' m going to give it a go, thank yousmile

Tizwailor Sun 26-Apr-15 15:52:10

Brill I do one washing with body shop ginger shampoo (which is a little harsh but great for scalp) and one with their rain forest range (I have the coloured hair one) and conditioner, plus weekly hair mask in the same range. There are no parabens in the rain forest range, it is just my hair is so thick it doesn't quite cut through it with the first shampoo.

Madamecastafiore Sun 26-Apr-15 13:51:35

Anyone have a good dupe for a day cream with decent SPF?

I'd use Vaseline if it had SPF in it!

Lavender The perfect body lotion exists - Aveeno.

Brillenbar Sun 26-Apr-15 13:44:54

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheaper alternative to kerastase Dermocalm range? I have dandruff itchy sensitive scalp. Oh the glamour

JetJungle Sun 26-Apr-15 11:17:58

Try this for the Jo Malone substitute.

Also do you mean Peony Blush Suede?

I have not tried these particular ones, but I have had a lot if success with Perfume Parlour. Highly recommended.

lavenderhoney Sun 26-Apr-15 01:09:26

Rose hip oil has been better for my face than any of the other high end brands like blue orchid oil. Less than half the price

I use l' oreal face oil and hot cloth, lasts for ages and very reasonable.

I bought some v cheap mascara in monsoon because I liked the casesmile it's turned out better than anything I've ever used. And I'm useless at applying make up despite years of daily practice.

L'avenue is a favourite of mine, I use their hand cream and face cream with spf. My skin can be a bit sensitive but it likes this.

Vaseline on feet with cotton socks at night beats anything I've used so far. And I'm always looking for the perfect body lotion!

Any substitutes for Jo Malone perfume? Red roses or the peach suade one? I need to replace but am a bit �� at the price now.

Charityworker34 Sat 25-Apr-15 21:51:09

I used to only get OPI or Essie polishes but Barry M ones have lasted just as well. I still invest in a good base coat, then you can sling whatever polish you want on top. Bourjois is a great brand, a lot of the products feel expensive. I can't find a blusher I love as much as Nars, although my budget doesn't allow for it often!

Everythingsgonegreen Sat 25-Apr-15 18:02:28

I second Mavala nail polish the dinkiest little brush makes application so easy.

Currently using Astral cream as rich night time moisturiser- 1 month in and neck looks less crepey-£1 from superdrug.

(But I still buy lots of other expensive stuff so can hardly call myself frugal)

Tizwailor Sat 25-Apr-15 12:49:41

Re mascaras fr sensitive eyes, the new Rimmel one with argan oil is even cheaper than the boots number 7 one for sensitive eyes.

SpecificOcean Sat 25-Apr-15 08:31:57

stevie77 Is the Boots mascara the Natural Collection one?

Mascara is just about the only thing I've not managed to get a budget version of- still use L'Oreal.

Most have been said but here's mine anyway-
Mua eye shadow, pencils and lip gloss,
love the So range of perfumes (bought from B&M, much cheaper than Boots)
Argan oil and suncream are the only things I use for face skincare and my skin is better than ever.
Homemade face scrubs-honey, sugar, oil.
Olive oil hair mask.

Lardylassnomore Sat 25-Apr-15 08:27:38

Remus palmers do a fragrance free version of their lotion I think

MsRaspberryJam Sat 25-Apr-15 07:08:04

This is more of a money saving tip but spritzing a little of your perfume in unscented body lotion is a million times cheaper than getting proper perfumed lotion. I put mine in Aveeno body lotion because it smells of nothing.

MsRaspberryJam Sat 25-Apr-15 07:04:41

No one has mentioned this so far, but Mavala nail varnish is the absolute best.

I'll never buy nail varnish from anyone else again. Others never last and are always too thin.

I've also got to sing Revlon's praises. Their eyeshadow and blusher in particular. I would love to try their foundation, but I am too pale.

afink Sat 25-Apr-15 06:40:54

I use olive oil to remove makeup and to hot cloth cleanse. It works brilliantly.

I also use Lanacane as a primer - much better than any proper primer I've tried.

Eye cream. All kinds. I use my regular moisturiser, on wet skin. Does the job very nicely & doesn't drag or feel heavy at all.

I've used Body Shop All-In-One Face Base for years. It's so quick to apply & covers pretty well. It doesn't go far though for the price so I save it for the days when I need makeup & don't really have time...

Bearleigh Sat 25-Apr-15 05:23:34

I bought a tub of plain Shea nut butter from the people:

www.amphora-retail.com/product_info.php/shea-nut-body-butter-200g-p-320

And add lavender oil. It is brilliant as lip salve, and for hard skin on feet, and lasts absolutely ages.

And I too cleanse off makeup with almond oil from boots with a few drops of essential oil in, and a hot flannel. A bottle that lasts 2 months is £1.59 from the pharmacy. I treated myself to a pump bottle to make it easier to use.

And for moisturiser I use Dermol 500 lotion, again from pharmacies, with oils added. It is a bit thin but rubs in nicely. I was originally prescribed it as a cleanser for sensitive skin by a dermatologist but was was developed as a moisturiser too. A pump action bottle that lasts me 2 years costs about £12.

Kennington Thu 23-Apr-15 19:30:26

Any vegetable oil is as good, if not better to hot cloth cleanse than any high end stuff I have tried. I use grape seed oil for cleansing and moisturise with it at night.
Agree with bourjois chocolate bronzer too.
Make up revolution iconic palettes are v similar urban decay makers and last too. 4 quid from super drug.
I read the ingredients list and now have an idea if am being ripped off. Filler ingredients such as parafinim liquidium mineral oil are cheap and block pores so I avoid.
ReVlon concealer are as good as any high end products.
In the end many formulations are very similar. Things like pigments cost more, likewise certain ingredients like natural oils don't last as long so are more expensive.
The gold no 7 mascara is exactly the same as the Estée Lauder tubing mascara.
Have saved myself a fortune!

Tizwailor Thu 23-Apr-15 15:29:12

I'm seriously tempted. I had an over zealous technician an extra layer of a heavy duty acid peel a few years ago and my skin just won't heal at the moment. I have resorted to IS clinical recovery balm, but it does respond well to oils. Sorry for hijack OP.

avagosling Thu 23-Apr-15 15:17:34

Tizwailor I also use oils instead of a night time moisturizer hehe! If you're up for it I'd recommend to give camellia or moringa oils a try, they are beautiful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now