Gone from J to D ish cup and now need help with what will suit me

(13 Posts)

My best friend had a reduction (also scottish NHS ;) ) and her experience reflects what the other ladies are saying - surgeon also told her a D or even a C. She was a 30HH-ish and is now a 30F/FF. I think surgeons do the "all D cups are the same" thing too!

yawningbear Sat 23-Mar-13 15:14:32

Thanks everyone, I am feeling better, mentally at least! A good friend called round yesterday and convinced me they look small, in fact she went so far to say she thought maybe they'd taken too much off - music to my ears grin. I reckon fitted tops with some kind of flattering skirt option would be good for a start, any recommendations for cheap ish flattering black skirts very welcome!

Gizboss Fri 22-Mar-13 19:45:47

The thing about them growing back is not really true it's just what marriednotdead said, that it's difficult to get so small from a J cup. I didn't want to say before (as I didn't want to upset you) but I am an F/G now but as I said before I am so much smaller than before, am uplifted with a lovely shape and I am finally in proportion and free from shoulder and neck pain. Just go with it, I experienced exactly what you describe - still feeling quite big some days and the shock of a new body is not straightforward but you will adjust and you will feel amazing. Why don't you buy some nice tops to start with that don't hide your chest but don't hug your mid-section. Good luck

yawningbear Fri 22-Mar-13 11:23:56

Thank you yellowowl, that is heartening to hear. Have they grown back though to some extent if you are currently an F? This is the thing I worry about, it is such a big operation to have for them then to start sprouting again! Am trying to take it easy but have 2 young dc,'s so it's hard. Scar splitting sounds very sore-very good to hear it worked out so well for you though Am feeling more positive, even though I'm sat in hospital waiting to seen as GP thinks I have an infection- hey ho, it will be worth it in the end!

yellowowl Fri 22-Mar-13 07:36:08

Hi there,
Just wanted to encourage you, I had the op 7 years ago, from a JJ to a D cup, currently an F. It's the best thing I ever did, I never regret it. Well done! And take it easy, as I over did it, and my scar split sad(

yawningbear Fri 22-Mar-13 07:08:53

Thanks marriednotdead, love your name by the way. I think I will end up an F cup, very interesting to hear your experience. The surgeon said the smallest they could be would be a DD, and because of the side swelling I am currently fitting into a 36 c or d but once the swelling goes down and they have dropped, currently high and hard! reckon I will settle at 32 F. Gutting but that's the reality so I do really appreciate your message. I will check out the makes you mention, I love Freya though think it will be a while until I am back in underwires. Thanks again.

Hiya. I'm glad you are generally happy with your surgery. It's a difficult transition when you have a major body change- I see it often with dieters who still shop for their old size out of habit.

I would be very surprised if you are as small as a D cup if your start point was a J. I fit people regularly and post reduction is rarely less than FF/G. The root of your breast (where it meets your body) cannot be changed so I would expect to see a shallow but broad based shape. I liken it to taking the top half off of a cone, leaving the blunt end intact.

I am not saying this to upset you, but because surgeons seem to have no concept of bra sizing! The vast majority of enhancements told that they will have D cups also end up in at least an F.

I'd suggest trying Freya Deco and Panache Melody or Elsa as their shape is usually better suited to a shallower shape. The 'sharper' bras will leave you bulging out around the sides whilst not filling the front of the cups.

yawningbear Fri 22-Mar-13 06:19:00

Thanks Gizboss, Good to hear from someone so far on the other side! It's a very strange thing, I am convinced they are still very large and they do seem to fluctuate depending on how much swelling there is but they are way, way smaller than they were but I think that it is taking my head longer to catch up with my body, and kind of hard to adjust to what seems like a whole new body shape overnight, although I am delighted they are history.

Funny about Bravissimo too, must have spent hundreds in there over the years on massive hammocks and had been looking forward to never gracing their door ever again but one of the first things I did when I got home was look at the website and have been on Pepperberry as well.

As for clothes, I would love to be able to wear a dress with a belt, that would be a dream come true, previously the belt would have been lodged directly under a huge shelf of boobage, not a good look, but fear my tummy may be too protruding currently. Will try and stick more rigidly to the Healing diet and increase the walking. Thanks again, really glad it made such a huge difference for you.

Gizboss Thu 21-Mar-13 19:15:47

Congratulations for getting this far. I had the op about 8 years ago and it changed my life. I also went from a J to a D-ish cup and weirdly as everything settled my actual cup size went up a bit again but the shape and size is so much smaller than I was before that it doesn't really matter. I lost a lot of weight following the op using the breastonline site healing diet so you could try that while you are still in recovery and have time to focus on you. I also felt a bit low straight after the op, I had a couple of infections but now my scarring is minimal and I feel great. I remember that I would get out for a walk everyday no matter what the weather and that really helped.

Anyway - clothes, I found that suddenly I could wear clothes that had a shape to them, dresses with belts, v-neck t shirts or jumpers are good that hug your shape on the chest but not on the torso/waist - I tuck in my tops a lot more, I also wear loads of top/skirt and dress combinations and basically don't try to hide my chest at all. I would give it another 4 weeks and then treat yourself to a shopping trip where you try loads on or go to one of those places where they have personal shoppers. Also, it sounds obvious but go and get good bras properly fitted - I still go to Bravissimo because they are simply excellent at getting the right fit.You probably need to wait a bit longer for underwire though as you'll be tender for a bit.

Good luck and hope you feel better and are enjoying the new you soon.

Owllady Thu 21-Mar-13 18:13:33

it takes about a year for the swelling to go down I believe yawningbear, so fear not smile

yawningbear Thu 21-Mar-13 18:12:32

No way lipo would have made any difference, they were vast grin. I have had lots of upper back and neck problems over the years due to the sheer weight of them so had the op on NHS but live in Scotland where funding for BR's is currently easier to get than in England. It is major surgery and although I am nearly 4 weeks on I am nowhere near back to normal, but should be totally worth it in the long run. There is a brilliant website Breasthealthonline that has tons of info, also am very happy to answer any questions about it, am on sick leave just now so unusually lots of time on my hands!

dimsum123 Thu 21-Mar-13 17:24:10

Sorry can't advise on clothes but would like to ask about boob reduction op please. Did you have the liposuction type op? Or the more invasive one? I'm thinking of having a boob reduction. Did you have it on NHS?

yawningbear Thu 21-Mar-13 16:04:37

Am recovering from a long awaited breast reduction, was a 32 J cup, currently fitting a 34/36 D. Still very swollen and sore so not possible to go clothes shopping.

Am delighted that the gigantic boobs that I had are no more but am feeling a bit low which I didn't expect. They aren't as small as I'd hoped they'd be, I will always be a curvy woman and need to get my head around that but they are a great deal higher and lighter than they were. Downside is that my belly looks gigantic in comparison, I definitely look pregnant when I definitely ain't!

I am slightly overweight for me, size 12-14, 5 ft 2 with short, stumpy legs and protruding tum. Gorgeous! But I do now have a waist, kind of and breasts that are no longer hanging around my belly button. Generally curvy all over I'd say.

Had become very adept at dressing to disguise the gigantic boobs. Now need to re-think this strategy. I love dresses and skirts, rarely wear trousers. Any advice on re-styling my lovely new boobs and covering the gut that was always there but previously was very overshadowed by the J cups!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now