Beauty hero products that we hate

(106 Posts)
mingfudge Thu 21-Mar-13 15:55:15

I am sitting here nursing a very red and sore face, following a stint with Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish and Garnier Ultra Lift last night. I have tried everything. Even camomile teabags mixed with porridge, honey and milk, to tone it down a bit. Still sore. Even my trusted Olay stings on contact.

At first I blamed it on the ultra lift but after much thought, I think it was the C&P. So I did a bit of Googling and it transpires that quite a few C&P users have had the 'extreme sunburn' look from it. Funny thing is, mine is a year old and I stopped using it because I didn't think it was that great when I first bought it. I don't remember this kind of reaction but I am sure this is what it is.

Anyway, my googling brought up a great blog post on beauty products that everyone raves about but you can;t get away with them. Funnily enough, many of the products in the comments (and the blog post) are ones I would agree with.

This is the blog post www.beautymouth.com/2012/03/i-know-its-hero-product-but-i-just-cant.html

My hero fail products are:

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish (obviously)
Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream (ended up as nappy rash cream, for which it is surprisingly good)
Three step Clinique system (steps one and two stripped my face of any moisture, then the greasy moisturiser to replace it caused horrible acne spots)
Bio oil
Fake Bake (streaky and oompa loompa at the same time :-O)
Essie nail polish - I've had Rimmel ones last longer.

Mumelie Thu 21-Mar-13 19:25:57

BB Cream = acne breakout
Naked Shampoo & Conditioner - even the one for frizzy hair - mine looked like wire wool.
No7 Protect & Perfect = spots again
Love Bare Minerals make up & skin care but cannot use their primer - yukky sticky skin!

JumpHerWho Thu 21-Mar-13 19:48:54

1. Liz Earle C and P, hot cloth cleansing in general far too harsh - back to gentle gel cleansers like Dermalogica Ultracalming and Avene here, with bi-weekly gentle chemical exfoliation, instead of scrubbing frantically til I'm red raw and spotty twice a day

2. Superdrug serum and Vit E facial oil (ok not 'hero' products but the range was recommended loads on here <glares> )

Conversely, thanks for those on here who recommended coconut oil, MUA makeup and Neal's Yard Rose Facial Oil. And I love Touché Éclat foundation and NARS Multiple in Orgasm, and Chanel Mademoiselle lipstick is my perfect shade.

TomArchersSausage Thu 21-Mar-13 19:50:51

BB Cream. I looked like an embalmed Oompa Loompa.

Dermalogica gave me eczema.

Clinique 3 step too harsh and moisturiser not rich enough for me.

ASmidgeofMidge Thu 21-Mar-13 19:55:26

Another vote for BB creams, all of which made me break out. And Clinique Dramatically Different yellow shit. It's shit. Yellow shit.

CointreauVersial Thu 21-Mar-13 20:01:18

Chanel Nail Varnish

Chips in about two hours.

I'm sticking with Barry Mgrin

Laquila Thu 21-Mar-13 20:04:26

@JumpHerWho - Neal's Yard Rose Facial Oil, aka the GREATEST thing on EARTH. Also, on the oil front, I love Clarins Lotus and Blue Orchid oils (sorry, I know this isn't really the point of this thread!).

Supposedly hero products that have failed me:

Aveda Be Curly
The Rimmel mascara in the bright pink tube that everyone loves (fair enough, it was only £5.99)
Literally any other hair products for curly hair other than John Frieda FrizzEase mousse

Now I come to think of it, even though I feel like I've been through bajillions of terrible supposedly hero products, I think the vast majority of stuff I buy just turns out to do nothing for me - I.e., not terrible, just not performing miracles. Maybe my expectations are too high...

Lilymaid Thu 21-Mar-13 20:06:32

I love C&P and it works for my skin. I only use a pea sized amount (use more regularly and your wash basin waste pipe will end up blocked with grease).
My pet aversion is to Lush shops ... or rather the dreadful smell (which permeates out into the street) of bath salts/bath bombs etc - makes me think of skin drying up/irritation etc.

Dinosaurhunter Thu 21-Mar-13 20:11:57

I love beauty flash balm , those of you that hate it why ?( out of interest)

I dislike all chanels perfumes
I dislike Ysl mascara ( too thick and clumpy)
I hate cocoa butter

jackstini Thu 21-Mar-13 20:20:06

Agree with fails:
8 hour cream - very Vaseline like
Touche Éclat, just didn't work
Any BB cream

Love Bio Oil though - it is my post CS scar best friend!

CharlieBoo Thu 21-Mar-13 20:30:51

Agree:
Clinique yellow moisturiser.. It IS yellow shit
8 hour cream.. What do you do with it?
Bb cream ... Doesn't work on my skin... Not enough coverage and too oily
Touché Éclat ... I like it, but my No7 concealer pen does exactly same job.
OPI nail Envy.. Did nothing to strengthen my totally rubbish nails.
Estée Lauder double wear.. Only got a tester pot thank goodness but my mum said I looked like one of the girls who work for them.. Too made up and a bit orange.

Love:
Max factor and clinique mascara
Maybeline mouse foundation
Number 7 make up base (I have incredibly oily skin and it keeps the shine away all day.
Love babyliss Big hair.

Chubfuddler Thu 21-Mar-13 20:39:08

I have given up on expensive beauty miracle products since early disillusionment with Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream (sticky Tcp smelling Vaseline) and touch éclat (white stripes under my eyes - nice).

Tescos new own brand range is rather good I have to say. I like the cream blusher in particular.

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 21-Mar-13 20:39:42

Agree:

Clinique skincare- someone told me Clinique skincare is really made for "problem" spotty/teenage skin and is very very harsh.

Touche Éclat- just buy the Collection 2000 one for £3 - it won't smell like a dirty dishcloth after 3 days either.

Estee Lauder foundation in general...if I wanted an orange face I'd have gone on a sunbed ta muchly.

8 hr cream- slimy Vaseline.

Olay Regenerist- if I've got £20+ to spend on a cream I'll spend it on Neal's Yard.

Bare Minerals- oh joy, Not just Barbara Cartland, but an orange Barbara Cartland.

JumpHerWho Thu 21-Mar-13 20:50:10

Laquila - nooo, the reason I've switched from Neal's Yard elixir to Superdrug shite is budget, don't go showing me lovely Clarins ones sad

<quick plug for amaaazing Shu Uemura cleansing oils - best thing ever if you're not budgetarily constrained>

TigerseyeMum Thu 21-Mar-13 20:54:04

Pseudo I use Moroccan Oil curl creme and use a leave-in oil called coccasta shikakai from Curly Girls. I leave it in then wash it our using Neals Yard rose shampoo and conditioner then use the curl cream and either let it dry curly naturally or straight with my Babyliss Big Hair.

Does anyone use Astral cream! I fancy trying the light one as I have dry, sensitive yet combination dull skin. I find Neals Yard stuff amazing but pricey.

madmomma Thu 21-Mar-13 21:14:21

any estee lauder foundation - all orange,
decleor neroli oil - now have lovely white spots thanks to this,
bare minerals - emperor's new clothes
8 hr cream - horrible smelling vaseline
REN rose otto bath oil - no great shakes for the price
flash balm - balls up + peels off
all undereye concealers - all of them. I'd rather look a little tired than haggard.

WipsGlitter Thu 21-Mar-13 21:19:47

Eight hour cream. Awful. Pink Vaseline.

TigerseyeMum Thu 21-Mar-13 21:26:29

The Dr Organic from Holland and Barrett is as good as the Ren for rose otto products.

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Thu 21-Mar-13 21:30:11

YY Eight hour cream. Like smelly Vaseline. Except Vaseline works.

Opi nail varnish, sloppy and chips before you get out of the house.

Just cos I read something up thread about johnsons, I hate the stuff haven't used it for years and wouldn't dream of putting any of it on or near a baby or anyone at all actually.
They have some marketing dept, I'll give them that but their products are the harshest shit I've ever had the misfortune of using.
It's amazing that so many people automatically think 'Best for Baby' as I said, Good marketing dept

bettybigballs Thu 21-Mar-13 21:37:08

Love these threads, such an education. Mine are:

Lancôme hypnose mascara - flaky, clumping rubbish
Eight hour cream - Vaseline that smells
Ren face wash - did chuff all
Clinique - anything. Drying and chemical
Aveda shampoo - frizz central and build up a go go
Nail envy - peely crap

sansastark Thu 21-Mar-13 21:39:56

Bare Minerals and Babyliss Big Hair are absolute must-haves for me - and I think Olay Regenerist is great for the price. Also love Eve Lom cleanser and Johnson's baby oil.

But I quite agree on the 'smelly crap vaseline' verdict on Eight Hour Cream, think Moroccan Oil is seriously overrated (V05 miracle concentrate's just as good, for a fraction of the price), and don't understand all the fuss about Creme de la Mer (got it once, it cost a fortune and did bugger all!!)

Also not feeling it with Bobbi Brown, fifty shades of piss-boring taupe (that doesn't even look all that on the beauty counter assistants...)

Oh, and Juicy Tubes from Lancome. Meh hmm

TigerseyeMum Thu 21-Mar-13 21:47:57

Ah see, Ren facial wash is the only thing that keeps my wierd skin clear. I stray to other products then regret it and come back. If they ever stop making it I'll combust.

Meglet Thu 21-Mar-13 21:53:15

Some of us love the smell of 8 hour cream. I use it on my face in the winter.

Chubfuddler Thu 21-Mar-13 22:05:56

As what though? Seriously, I bought some on an easyjet flight trying to be a grown up and had no idea what it was for.

cocobongo Thu 21-Mar-13 22:14:19

where do I start????

Eve lom cleanser- £50 I'll never see again
Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser- still made me look orange (I'm vvv pale)
Beauty FLash Balm- seriously, what is the point?
Virtually all Benefit stuff (though I'm a sucker for their packaging)- especially their mascara
Estee Lauder make-up- smells awful, really old lady make-up
Boots Protect & Perfect- actually, most Boots no 7
Touche Eclat - made me have yellow undereyes
NARS eyeshadows- end up with eyeshadow on my cheeks by the end of the night

I'm sure there's a lot more!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now