Part 4- All you ever need to know about fragrance continues

(1000 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Mon 18-Mar-13 18:55:37
Fuzzybirds Thu 21-Mar-13 20:35:08

Cointreau I've pm'd you grin

Been trying out Sycomore today, very interesting but I don't think it's really me...it opened with cigarette smoke, then on closer sniffing a rooty earthiness (vetiver?) then my favourite bit, a caramelised almost burnt sugar note, which then faded and finally a citrusy pine peeking through. I wonder if I would like it more in warmer weather, it's been so cold and wet today.

Kiwi cats are very good at keeping your feet warm in bed, although mine also like to sit on my head.

Garlic I haven't tried LDDM yet but really want to now, love your description!

garlicbrunch Thu 21-Mar-13 21:27:38

Thanks, Fuzzy!

I've finally got around to looking up "indolic" on Wikipedia. "Indole is a solid at room temperature ... It occurs naturally in human feces and has an intense fecal odor. At very low concentrations, however, it has a flowery smell, and is a constituent of many flower scents (such as orange blossoms) and perfumes. It also occurs in coal tar."

OK - flowery coal-tar poo! It's all clear now hmm

CointreauVersial Thu 21-Mar-13 22:45:30

L'Air du Desert Marocain is utterly divine, one of my faves. I only have a few drops of my sample left and it's on my "must buy a decant" list.

Sycomore sounds interesting, Fuzzy!

CointreauVersial Thu 21-Mar-13 22:46:01

PM back atcha, Fuzzy....wink

florascotia Fri 22-Mar-13 10:46:49

It's soooo cold, with grey skies, howling wind and flakes of snow. I feel the need of warmth and sunshine and so the sample of the day is Azemour les Oranges by Parfum d'Empire. Warm orange peel, fresh orange juice, orange blossom and leaves (lovely, lovely green), plus moss and dark bitter cypress and something with the effect of fresh air or a really posh after-shave. Spices there, too (especially pepper) but not overpowering. However, as time progresses, the aftershave note seems to dominate; it's less rounded, more mossy and 'clean'. But I still like it a lot.

Hope that comforting cats helped you have a restful day in bed, Kiwi and that you're feeling a bit better now.

Garlic you have a real gift for description. Have not been to either market you mention, but thanks to you I can now picture them both very clearly.

Haberdashery Fri 22-Mar-13 12:21:01

I'm testing Jeke today. It is definitely one for the smoke and tar lovers and very satisfying on a horrible cold windy day like today. Massive blast of tar, roadworks and something almost stony as well as strongly woody at the start which settles down to feeling like you are in a luxurious velvet-lined shed burning incense while someone creosotes the outside of it. Most peculiar but genuinely lovely.

IsabelleRinging Sat 23-Mar-13 15:31:36

Well, there is about a foot of snow outside this morning, couldn't even open the back door as it had drifted up so far in the wind, so staying inside today, baking pizzas and wearing Coudray Vanille et Coco. This is so warm and cosy smelling, it is sweet but there is a vintage feel to it too so it is not sickly. I like it but not sure if it is worthy of a full bottle.

Kiwi, I too love the Nuit Etoilee bottle and wanted to love it, it would look fab in my bedroom as we are in the process of redecorating in blue. I wouldn't say the pine in it is of the toilet cleaner variety though as it is a woody sort of pine smell, still not keen on it though.

FrugalFashionista Sat 23-Mar-13 16:17:54

Also really loving Garlic's descriptions! Keep them coming!
Decided to not go to the big perfume fair this weekend.
(Main reason: I have a small perfume fair in my bedroom wink ).
It's a warm spring day and I'm wearing a perfume to match - Aedes de Venustas EdP, rhubarby goodness. Fading fast though so will get to pick something different for the evening!

Fuzzybirds Sat 23-Mar-13 21:29:11

Frugal I'm so jealous of your warm spring day, we woke up to snow this morning and it's freeeeeezing. I started off the day with a spring-like perfume though- Bel Respiro. Green, fresh and a bit too light for my taste. I like my greens to pack more of a punch! I imagine it would be a good option for those days when you need to consider other people's noses- a good office perfume.

Couldn't walk past Boots without popping in for a few sniffs. I tried-
La Petite Robe Noire- zingy, sweet fruit with a musky undertone, quite strong but felt a bit too young for me.
Prada Candy- light, sweet caramel. Nice enough and I do like gourmandes but this felt a bit linear and simple.
Insolence EDT- trying to decide if I want the EDP or EDT, think I prefer the powderiness of the EDT.
Youth Dew- what a surprise! Spicy but sweet, really love it. Luckily no one I know wears it so I don't have any previous associations. I actually think this will have to go on my FB list (and it's not pricey, an added bonus!)

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 23-Mar-13 22:38:40

Today I have been wearing Swiss Army for Her (bought for me by a male friend who likes buying me "odd" gifts - eg he will turn up for dinner with a bouquet of ornamental cabbages, but did once come up trumps with a La Prairie lip salve). I found it very "meh" and mainstream. Quite frankly, it could have been any generic perfume you picked up and squirted yourself with in Boots or Debenhams.

I wanted to love Nuit Etoilee too. The name! The bottle! But it was dull and uninspiring. I do like Eau du Sud and Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal, and quite like Grand Amour and Duel as well, but this was disappointing.

clb Sat 23-Mar-13 23:17:49

I write en route to the bathroom to wash - just put on Miller Harris's Fleur Oriental, which I thought I quite liked on my first try last week, and all I can smell is one of those horrible scented nappy bag bins. Oh, the horror.

FrugalFashionista Sun 24-Mar-13 15:29:02

Need a comfort scent, so Pear + Olive it is.

isabellafan Sun 24-Mar-13 16:14:23
pocketandsweet Mon 25-Mar-13 13:12:13

thanks to ladame and florascotia. The Nocturnes and the Coromandel arrived today smile. It completely made my day. I'm the middle of what is hopefully to turn into a medical non-event but until the test results come back everything is very stressful. To come back from a morning of blood tests to find not one but two lovely surprises from you both was a real lift. Now to get testing ....

Wearing Kenneth Cole Black today. I'm not very good at describing scents so bear with me while I find my 'nose'!. It's light, sweet and floral with what I would describe as a powdery dry down. Not old lady powder IMO, soft and slightly sparkly if that makes any sense?

Ladame Mon 25-Mar-13 16:08:45

pocketandsweet You're welcome wink - I'll wait to hear what you think about the Coromandel. Sorry to hear about your tests, hope everything is ok, no googling like I do it can drive you nuts sad. OneLittleLady that sounds niiice. I like a bit of powdery sparkling.

pocketandsweet Mon 25-Mar-13 16:50:04

Too late ladame already googled sad. They are looking for ovarian cancer but fingers crossed that is not what we will find. To either celebrate good news / or commiserate over rotten luck I am planning a little trip to London to Les Scenteurs. (Excuse if spelt wrong... Looks funny but on phone). Do they really do free samples?

Hope things turn out well pocketandsweet, I'm being tested for cervical cancer right now, I'm just waiting for the results of a biopsy and it's awful. sad

clb Mon 25-Mar-13 17:43:40

I really hope your results are vastly reassuring and very quick, pocketandsweet and OneLittleLady.

pocketandsweet - they will give you samples at Les Senteurs and I've also had good luck at Miller Harris in Notting Hill (v v nice SA), Diptyque in Notting Hill (I bought a candle though, which might have made a difference) and Selfridges (really close to the Marble Arch Les Senteurs).

SotD is Heeley's Cardinal which I'm enjoying hugely, having had it sitting around untested for ages. It's an incense which starts off very churchy, although with a sharp citrus note, too. But a few hours on there's a warm amber glow which I'm loving.

FrugalFashionista Mon 25-Mar-13 17:51:10

OneLittleLady and Pocket so sorry to hear about that, hoping for the very best. Les Senteurs have traditionally given free samples to instore visitors (mail order samples not free) and you can sniff there too, lots of choice to distract you!

Cologne du 68 by Guerlain smelled like dryer sheets for some reason so switched to Chanel No. 19 EDP.

FrugalFashionista Mon 25-Mar-13 17:52:53

Oh and remember the Haute Parfumerie at Harrods too, it's a perfume heaven and a great distraction!

clb Mon 25-Mar-13 18:06:49

Oh, yes, I forgot to say that the chaps in Les Senteurs were so helpful and funny and informative. I had a lovely time in there a few weeks ago sniffing orange blossoms.

CointreauVersial Mon 25-Mar-13 23:12:29

Sorry to hear about the medical woes, pocket and mylittlelady. sad

Ambre Russe today - it was the first thing to hand this morning, but very warming in this chilly weather. It starts off almost fruity, like mulled wine and has the most gorgeous drydown. I can still smell it, 15 hours after applying.

CointreauVersial Mon 25-Mar-13 23:13:02

I mean ONElittlelady....smile

my littlelady is kinda sweet, almost Polly Pocket like grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.